lock screen has no "never" setting

estrasil

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have a display dock and it is useless because every five minutes I have to get up and interact with the phone because there is no lock screen setting for "never". So if I listen to music for instance, it stops after five minutes.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a display dock and it is useless because every five minutes I have to get up and interact with the phone because there is no lock screen setting for "never". So if I listen to music for instance, it stops after five minutes.
same here. very annoying. strongly agree with you that there should be an option to keep the screen "always on". or, more user friendly, provide two separate options, one for the phone not charging, another for the phone charging / in continuum mode.

the-scotsman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I submitted this on the Feedback tool. Open this link on your phone: Windows-Feedback:?contextid=279&feedbackid=9eecabd7-b74d-4abc-b172-f4796c4b35b4&form=2&src=2

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue, absolutely silly in my mind. Let me know when someone finds a fix. Maybe someone can write a screen saver app?
amoled screens will burn after displaying a static image for long time and when using continuum you must keep your phone's screen on. that's a very non-sensical design. i found no official method to work around this. i created a 1440x2560 image where every pixel is black and display it in full screen in the photo app on the phone when using continuum. this is the work around that i am using now.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
amoled screens will burn after displaying a static image for long time and when using continuum you must keep your phone's screen on. that's a very non-sensical design. i found no official method to work around this. i created a 1440x2560 image where every pixel is black and display it in full screen in the photo app on the phone when using continuum. this is the work around that i am using now.

Please upload this image. Thanks

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea, a true gent amongst us wrote an app for Continuum users called "Disable Screen"

It's a similar clever approach to the image file suggestion above. Just grab it from the store and launch it. That 950 led screen "looks" like it is off.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Yea, a true gent amongst us wrote an app for Continuum users called "Disable Screen"

It's a similar clever approach to the image file suggestion above. Just grab it from the store and launch it. That 950 led screen "looks" like it is off.

But does it (Disable Screen app) keep the phone from going into 'locked' or 'idle' mode so I am forced to re-enter my PIN every x minutes? I know I can test this myself, but my dock is at home and I'm shackled to my cubicle for the next 8 hours.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But does it (Disable Screen app) keep the phone from going into 'locked' or 'idle' mode so I am forced to re-enter my PIN every x minutes? I know I can test this myself, but my dock is at home and I'm shackled to my cubicle for the next 8 hours.

I actually don't know. But I DO have one of my docks here at the office. I'd be happy to check it out and report back.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, after a quick throw down test, activating the dark-screen app on the phone ("Disable Screen") has no influence on keeping the phone from locking after a period of inactivity. (I shouldn't be surprised) And, of course, after the screen locks, Continuum is disabled. (However, the music in Groove continues to play for me even with the phone locked and Continuum external monitor goes dark. I wasn't listening to Groove through the HDMI output of the dock, but from the earphone jack instead. I assume the OP was losing the music because it was via HDMI?)

So, the original complaint is still valid. As is the early on discovery by Continuum users that the phones' lock screen disables Continuum. As for the "Disable Screen" app, I now recall the intent for that app was simply to not have the phones' display on during Continuum. It does solve that dilemma nicely.

So currently, Continuum needs user activity to stay awake and active. That activity can be via the phone's touch screen, or Continuums keyboard\mouse.

If I had my preferences I would just not have Continuum be "hooked" to the phones lock screen at all. Or at least have a setting to break the relationship.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ironically, after I did the test I re-engaged Continuum and launched Netflix in Edge and let it run.
No input of any kind on the phone or the Continuum controls.

Continuum never timed-out, nor the phone going to lock screen. Continuous 1 hour experience.

Gave me an idea. I closed Netflix and re-launched Groove, but chose to stream rather than play from local catalogue. (Hoping that if the actual data-stream of Netflix was serving as "user input" and keeping things active, perhaps streaming in Groove would get the same result)

Nope. Timed out with my usual 5 minute lock screen setting.

Wonder what the difference is between the two applications? (Netflix\Edge vs Groove)

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Ironically, after I did the test I re-engaged Continuum and launched Netflix in Edge and let it run.
No input of any kind on the phone or the Continuum controls.

Continuum never timed-out, nor the phone going to lock screen. Continuous 1 hour experience.

Gave me an idea. I closed Netflix and re-launched Groove, but chose to stream rather than play from local catalogue. (Hoping that if the actual data-stream of Netflix was serving as "user input" and keeping things active, perhaps streaming in Groove would get the same result)

Nope. Timed out with my usual 5 minute lock screen setting.

Wonder what the difference is between the two applications? (Netflix\Edge vs Groove)

I would assume because Netflix was playing a video (sending something to the display, therefore not letting it 'timeout'.) I'm going to try peter l's trick with the 'black' image to see if that prevents timeout. What a ridiculous workaround!

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I would assume because Netflix was playing a video (sending something to the display, therefore not letting it 'timeout'.) I'm going to try peter l's trick with the 'black' image to see if that prevents timeout. What a ridiculous workaround!
it won't prevent the phone from locking..^^' it only prevent the phone's screen from displaying same image for too long time.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
What a joke, I hope they get this fixed ASAP. (I posted this as a 'bug' in two other forums and no one responded, I guess they just live with it?) I'd love to use my phone to play music to my home theater system and this seemed to be the solution. Back to square one!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon