Real reasons for purchasing the Lumia 950/XL?

onetwright

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 950XL because I love the way it looks, it's got a killer camera, I like W10 mobile even with the bugs, and I like many of the other features you can only get in the Lumias. Clear Black with contrast adjustment in bright light by itself is a reason for me to buy a Lumia over anything else. I'm not totally up to date on the tech world, but I don't think any other phone has that.

Reading the forums here you'd think this phone was an absolute failure, but I LOVE my XL! Going from 930 to 950XL was the same upgrade feeling I got going from the 920 to the 1020, and now that I have the 950XL I'm TOTALLY OK with giving up the 1020. The 930 never wowed me enough to sell the 1020, but the XL has already wooed me.

I freakin' love the way it looks with the white polycarbonate and glass camera module. I don't need a metal frame or cover making it heavy and expensive. Make the white look good and that's plenty for me.

I've had the HTC trophy, HTC Radar, Lumia 900, HTC 8x, Lumia 920, Lumia 1020, and LUmia 930. The 950XL easily trumps all of those and moves the windows phone game forward.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Who's complained about the specs?? The physical build is questionable in terms of flagship due to today's standards no high ends use polycarbonate anymore.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Why not? I love polycarbonate. I've had various glass and aluminum built phones and I hate seeing fingerprints, ugly scratches, and dents. The polycarbonate handles scratches and bumps better. People would cover their iPhones in thick cases anyways.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Who's complained about the specs?? The physical build is questionable in terms of flagship due to today's standards no high ends use polycarbonate anymore.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

A lot of people are. and I do not agree with your thoughts on premium build either. polycarb is the best choice over aluminum or glass. it's less slippery, scratch and shatter resistant, will not dent, and transmits heat better. sounds like more premium device to me.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
In a lot of ways my Nokia 520 is better then the 950 XL, I have both. Most people buy the phone
for that purpose, but the 950 isn't better then the 520 so far. Opening Apps, texting, 520 has
the 950 beat by large margin. People can use the 950 with the computer, but having to carry
the hub, keyboard, and mouse around isn't convenient. The 950 has a better camera, if the
app can be opened in time to take the shot. The price of the 950 should be lowered, people
have written that they returned the 950, because they were disappointed with it,. There maybe
several who did return the phone, for another model, but didn't write about it. I'm hoping with
further updates, it may improve the 950, so I'm still testing with it.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people are. and I do not agree with your thoughts on premium build either. polycarb is the best choice over aluminum or glass. it's less slippery, scratch and shatter resistant, will not dent, and transmits heat better. sounds like more premium device to me.

Definitely less slippery and less prone to cracking compared to my glass S6. For me i dont mind poly, since i hate using cases i actually much prefer it...but when you compare visual looks vs looks, i think metal and glass is visually more pleasing. I thought i cared about that (super thin glass casing looks fantastic) when i got my S6 but almost a year later i dont care at all...especially that stupid camera lens hump drives me nuts. So while i agree premium can be considered objective, i would be confident to put money down 9/10 times someone will say an iPhone 6S or S6 is nicer looking (visually) than 950/XL.

Stan Nadella

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I bought it cause android and iphone are foreign to me. I have a whole microsoft ecosystem. I need continuum and RDP. and well, just to support the platform.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^Steve, that kind of irresponsible behavior is not tolerated around here. Get your behind over to the Microsoft Store on the double.

Josh Guess

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Besides from its camera....I really like the OS though it pains me to say that some of its function like Me Tile

(Okay there's a notification center....but I don't know...I really like that app and I don't need 3rd party apps like sync.me to sync my contacts)

It has great hardware specs but software wise not. I have to use my Zenfone for work because my company software doesn't support WP.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Besides from its camera....I really like the OS though it pains me to say that some of its function like Me Tile

(Okay there's a notification center....but I don't know...I really like that app and I don't need 3rd party apps like sync.me to sync my contacts)

It has great hardware specs but software wise not. I have to use my Zenfone for work because my company software doesn't support WP.

MS has a long way 'till winmo10 will be usable as a stable OS...

Sin_Co

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I had an upgrade and my 925 was feeling sluggish. I love wireless charging. I love the live tiles look. I have no major issues with the 950 or W10M. What i like best is my phone is a great phone first, and then can do other things. As long as it doesn't "force close" on every call, I'm good!

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Why? because after three years it's time for a change.
Lumia 1520 is/was a beast.
While not a fan of SD810, it can't help but be better than a three year dead design.
Next time hoping for an Intel processor.
Those Asus Zenfones fly from all indications.

Didn't read all pages, sorry if redundant .

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
#1 reason: The camera on the 950/XL is literally the best on the smartphone market right now, and it's not really close. Go here and choose the Lumia 950/XL and whatever other phones you want for proof. Really, it is a huge step up, and no one is talking about it. Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com

Other reasons: The screen is incredible. Using this phone with Win10 on the desktop and with the Band 2 is a nice ecosystem, and is only getting better. Windows 10 Mobile was a mess at phone launch, but it is getting much better; the latest .71 build is faster, smoother, less buggy, and uses less battery than before, especially during idle. The first-party apps are getting better. There are still some annoying niggles, but not more so than you will find on other platforms.

The main negative remains third-party app support ... hopefully UWP helps with this. Also, I miss the simple, consistent UI style from WP8.1 and before. This was a major selling point for me, but is being deprecated for a boring, unimaginative Android-style interface. Thankfully the Live Tiles remain the best phone UI (although I would like to see toggles added).

Ruufus

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I was three years with my Nokia Lumia 920. It was time to move on. I liked the 950XL for it's "empty" design but had hoped MS would have been smarter to have optional back plates for colors or styles available. But the 950XL also has great camera. I bought into the MS ecosystem back with my Xbox One and Lumia 920 and wanted to stay within the clean user experience. Yes, Windows 10 Mobile has had it's issues; e.g. Cortana acts up a little more, rare random restarts, rare screen hangs, but it has significantly reduced with updates. It's the journey not the destination.

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought XL for various reasons here are a few:
- For me no phone os compares to windows mobile 10, in terms of presentation, charm, and in presenting information while at the same time looking awesome
- I wanted the best possible camera on a phone, and nothing beats the one on the 950 XL
- Was curious to try out continuum as even it's current iteration is great, not the mention it's potention in the future.
- I was not worried in the least about the bugs since It was clear that they would be fixed sooner rather than latter in the whole paradigm of windows as a service (this has been true in practice, as the last couple of build versions are already very stable and, in my opinion, very fast and stable)
-

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia icon has been slipping of late and I don't expect it to get any firmware update or Windows 10 mobile, other than Insider Preview.

I bought the 950 XL to get a better phone, which will be supported and noted by more providers. I actually called T-Mobile and the rep knew about the 950 XL and we even talked about it for a good half hour.

At any rate, I wanted a new phone due to battery and WiFi issues, a better Windows 10 experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon