Any hope for my 1520?

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 suddenly developed a host of issues, wouldn't charge, button lights went out, a few other things I can't remember. I took it to a local repair guy and he said someone had damaged a connector at some point and it was not repairable. I had taken it somewhere for a battery replacement some months earlier so I suppose it's possible, particularly as the guy that did it seemed sketchy.

He gave me this picture of the damaged connector and it does look kind of hopeless. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas before I trash it. I have a lot of music, pics and a few other bits and pieces on it that I would like to have but I don't have a way to get them because the battery is almost dead and the USB port doesn't work. Thanks.

V__23FC.jpg

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
That connector is the usb port. It's not clear from the pic just how damaged it is and if it can be fixed.

Assuming that connector is irreparable (which I can't tell from the pic) , you could certainly plug in a new battery, back everything up to OneDrive (music and pics), then do a full backup of your phone. After that, you could replace the motherboard and restore, and be good as new.

The question for you would be would you want to DIY that, or would you trust someone to do it for you. I may be able to help you either way - pm me if interested.

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, or just get a replacement motherboard and use the new board to charge the battery. Then swap the bad motherboard to the charged battery. Other than onedrive you can probably also insert an SD card and transfer everything to the card.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the ebay link when I'm not at work (it's blocked here). I wouldn't mind getting the 1520 working again, it's a better phone than the 640 I'm currently using.

I was thinking maybe I could copy everything to an SD card rather than OneDrive. I think there are file manager apps that can do that, not sure. I just need enough battery time to get it done, then I could get the motherboard swapped. I probably wouldn't do it myself as I usually mess that kind of thing up, too many screws left over and such. Any idea how the speed is copying from the phone to an SD card? I appreciate the offer to take a look, I might take you up on that.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, or just get a replacement motherboard and use the new board to charge the battery. Then swap the bad motherboard to the charged battery. Other than onedrive you can probably also insert an SD card and transfer everything to the card.

Hey thanks, your post wasn't there when I was typing mine. When you transfer to an SD card is it slow? Just wondering how long it would take to copy around 6-7GB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes