What type screen does the Lumia 950xl have capacitive or resistive?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

what type screen does lumia 950xl have capacitive or resistive

what type screen does lumia 950xl have capacitive or resistive

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: what type screen does lumia 950xl have capacitive or resistive

Rough rule of thumb:
Resistive Screens feel "soft" or squishy. They have to be as they work by you pressing one layer of the screen down into another layer where a mesh of wires lays, making contact and telling the screen where it has been pressed.
You can activate/use these screens with literally anything you can find to press against them.

Capacitive Screens feel "hard", and are almost always glass covered. These work by detecting the change in capacitance across the screen's surface as the human body has a different capacitance than the air. Technically, these don't even require you to touch them, a close hover of your finger will suffice.
You can only activate/use these screens with certain materials, typically rubber or things like that.

Using this info, I'm sure you now know what the 950xl has :)

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

In a word: capacitive.

Saijin is right above, though another way to tell is that capacitive screen support mutli-touch, whereas resistive screen only register a single finger.

All Windows Phone/Mobile displays since WP7 have to use capacitive displays.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Ian, that is not expressly true. There are resistive multitouch screens, but they're not terribly popular as capacitive has overtaken them in nearly every market/application.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have not seen a resistive touchscreen on a modern smartphone in years.

The last one I personally owned that had one was a Palm Treo Pro. (although I do have a 650 in a drawer at home)

I've only encountered that old tech on those payment terminals where you swipe your credit card or on the Wii U.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS