Water damaged 950 XL

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. Its a 3 year extended warranty. If I use it now, they will replace my phone and take away the remaining years. If it can be saved, I'd rather wait. Looks like I'm going to hold on to my phantom touchable 1520 for a bit.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'd call the warranty phone number or go into the store and ask them about the process then you can decide. I have that extended warranty, too, and I'm glad it covers water damage!

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd call the warranty phone number or go into the store and ask them about the process then you can decide. I have that extended warranty, too, and I'm glad it covers water damage!

I'm not lucky after all. I reviewed the warranty and wet damage is not covered. So I may be stuck with a very expensive phone with a 3 year extended warranty for nothing. This is depressing.

Last edited:

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
When you say extra warranty, did you get it from Microsoft?
I paid the extra $100 s in case I drop it etc and it better damn well cover wate damage if that happens.

BTW. Every phone I have dropped into water I was able to get working again.
Since this has a removable battery you can pop that back cover off ASAP, pop out the battery and put some gentle heat in there to dry it out.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
When you say extra warranty, did you get it from Microsoft?
I paid the extra $100 s in case I drop it etc and it better damn well cover wate damage if that happens.

BTW. Every phone I have dropped into water I was able to get working again.
Since this has a removable battery you can pop that back cover off ASAP, pop out the battery and put some gentle heat in there to dry it out.

No it was a local store extended warranty.
I did remove the battery quickly, and I think that may have caused water to come in. It was in the water for a second and I immediately wiped it before opening the back cover and removed the battery. I think some water came in when I opened it. It was completely fine before I did that.

Now the service center called and found out that the board has some corrosion going on and didn't want to give me a quote for parts as they ruled it as unrepairable.

But you see the only effect was a green cast on a screen. Its like putting a green layer with 70% opacity in photoshop. Everything else is working fine. I'll send some photos once I have it back.

I paid $845 for this so this is too painful for me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Updated with photos of the damaged internals.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

You're in a bad spot.

1. Read your extended warranty to see if it covers water damage - I hope it does. File a claim/case with whoever runs the warranty.

2. If its not covered (warranties are meant to protect from manufacturing defects, not damage in their most typical form) then you're in trouble.
You could try to start replacing parts, but some parts may be damaged but have not malfunctioned yet. So it causes some long-term reliability concerns.

3. The bucket incident was unfortunate, but you are likely out a phone, or at least most of a phone as it's not pretty.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, what's the evidence suggesting so?

I think rice helps dry out the phone, but has no effect against corrosion.

Based on what I saw I still don't know if its the logic board or the display that needs repair as I don't have knowledge on how these things work. If its a display issue, I'll just sell it for parts since the display assembly is quite expensive. If its the logic board though, I'll try to clean it with alcohol and see if it works. If not, sell it for parts. I'm still waiting for my tools to arrive, that's why I'm uncertain.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think rice helps dry out the phone, but has no effect against corrosion.

Based on what I saw I still don't know if its the logic board or the display that needs repair as I don't have knowledge on how these things work. If its a display issue, I'll just sell it for parts since the display assembly is quite expensive. If its the logic board though, I'll try to clean it with alcohol and see if it works. If not, sell it for parts. I'm still waiting for my tools to arrive, that's why I'm uncertain.

Oh absolutely, rice is only for first-aid to hopefully prevent corrosion.

But yea, I suppose at this point that's a good course of action.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. Its a 3 year extended warranty. If I use it now, they will replace my phone and take away the remaining years. If it can be saved, I'd rather wait. Looks like I'm going to hold on to my phantom touchable 1520 for a bit.

You can dump it in a bucket of rice overnight. Honestly it leeches the water out. Not cooked rice but plain rice kernels.

But as far as extended warranty goes, it should let you have it completely replaced twice during that warranty period, at least that's how mine works. So I get 2 replacements and have to pay 25 dollars each time. Though depending on when you bought it you may have to pay 50.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
You can dump it in a bucket of rice overnight. Honestly it leeches the water out. Not cooked rice but plain rice kernels.

But as far as extended warranty goes, it should let you have it completely replaced twice during that warranty period, at least that's how mine works. So I get 2 replacements and have to pay 25 dollars each time. Though depending on when you bought it you may have to pay 50.

That'sa good deal.

I restarted the phone and surprisingly, it now render black as pure black. Before I just get green for everything that's black. So it now has a better mix of colors. I still have issues with glance, from pure noise to plain green background with visible and clear clock and notifications.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
That'sa good deal.

I restarted the phone and surprisingly, it now render black as pure black. Before I just get green for everything that's black. So it now has a better mix of colors. I still have issues with glance, from pure noise to plain green background with visible and clear clock and notifications.

Back in the days I had to have a blackberry at work. And It fell in the water. It booted up but the keys all did different things than they were supposed to and everything was out of whack. Guess is electricity was dispersing across circuits. So I read about the rice thing and I left it in there in the sun for about 4 hours and when I booted up it was working as new. Turn it off, remove the case, remove battery and try it. Even the smallest amount of water can cause issues.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I know a couple of people who used rice to fix a phone that was dunked in water. The key to prevent any damage is to immediately remove the battery. Then place a bunch of uncooked rice in a bag, the phone with it, seal it up, and leave it in a warm place for a day or two. If you wait too long to pull the battery, however, the impurities in the water will work with any electricity applied and can cause surface corrosion. You could remove the battery, spray all of the electronics parts (not speakers, microphones, nor cameras - these should all be avoided) with Novec and blast it with air after a quick scrub with a clean ESD safe brush. Novec is primarily used to remove flux during manufacturing processes, but it will take up most impurities with it and may remove or greatly reduce the corrosion on any leads and pins. It's also good for removing trapped moisture and stuff under IC's, especially BGA's.

In your case, a Novec cleaning might fix your issues. Don't use alcohol, though, as it leaves a residue which can cause long term damage if not fully cleaned off.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my 950 xl into water today, what a day, my first drop......
And as I was in a zoo, I could not do anything to it except dry it with towels, but seems like it's dead.
The phone was OK after I pulled it out of water for couple minutes until I removed the back cover, maybe I should get the battery out immediately.
So Bad!

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Guess what? My phone is fixed after 3 months of not doing anything.
It had the green overlay the first two weeks, then the overlay was gone but there were alternate bars of black overlay and grays were pixelated.
Then yesterday, it just fixed itself. I can finally use glance again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon