Lumia 640 Keeps rebooting with 14295?

Jim Powers7

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 640 Keeps rebooting with 14295

Help!! I downloaded Insider Build 14295 yesterday on my Lumia 640. When I restarted the phone to complete the install it got up to step 2 of migrating my data when the phone started to reboot constantly. It was rebooting all night. It worked for a short time this morning but I had to reinstall the phone app. I couldn't open the settings and nothing in the action center worked. Most of the apps didn't work. Now the phone is rebooting constantly again. Can I get back to the previous build that worked or do I need to do a complete factory reset back to 8.1. This build is a DISASTER. Thank You!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 640 Keeps rebooting with 14295

Windows Device Recovery Tool.

As an Insider you should have known it already.

You would think so, but for us people who are over the age of 40, there are so many acronyms thrown around on the internet it's nearly impossible to know what people are trying to say when they throw out a few seemingly random letters like that. I'm very familiar with Windows Device Recovery Tool, but always spell it out for others because I don't recognize it myself by the initials. I guess I was trained to be too formal. ;)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

You would think so, but for us people who are over the age of 40, there are so many acronyms thrown around on the internet it's nearly impossible to know what people are trying to say when they throw out a few seemingly random letters like that. I'm very familiar with Windows Device Recovery Tool, but always spell it out for others because I don't recognize it myself by the initials. I guess I was trained to be too formal. ;)
Well I agree with you up to a certain extent as Windows Insiders are supposed to be on top of what's going in the Insider program. Not to be harsh but some insiders over here have been whining and moaning a lot for reasons caused by their own ignorance. Not picking any one particular person in general and I'm sure you would relate :).

David Haynes1

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

I have same problem with lumia 640 constantly restarting and WDRT will not fix it fails to install software i've tried about 8 times now any other sugestions would be greatly appreciated

Stealth777

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

640 LTE here. Reboot non-stop also. So I tried different things. 1. Texting crashed with reboot so I avoided texting, people hub same thing avoided doing that as well. 2. When phone made it to the start screen I quickly went too wifi and turned it off. That made rebooting stop for several mins. Cashed again. 3.Then I turned off cell data and WiFi , didn't have a problem with it crashing. Then I noticed that I had downloaded Xbox beta, so I uninstalled it. Everything fine now.4. Went and used recovery tool back to 8.1 then fast ring back to newest build. And not adding my backups. Phone worked all night, today I had one crash, wifi and cell data turned them on then off and both on seems fine now. Put Xbox beta back on and crashed again. After reboot no crash. I was able to type this without crashing. Still testing what causes the crash. Try these that I mentioned and see it it helps you.

Jim Powers7

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

Hey thanks for the info, I went back to 8.1 last night, it's the worst but I'm leery of trying 14295 again. I'll think about trying it with your work arounds but my 640 was so bad that I had to put my SIM on an old 521 just to have a working phone yesterday. I may wait for the public release or see if Microsoft releases a new build that fixes this. Haven't read any reviews that describe problem we're having. Can you let me know please if you find out what caused crash. Thanks!

Stealth777

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

WDRT should put you back to 8.1. When it asked to connect WiFi i said no. And turned off WiFi saying no also. And did not sign into my Microsoft account. Instead i went to store tried looking for windows insider and I wanted me to connect then to WiFi or data. I did WiFi and download. Went right back to fast ring newest build.

Jon 34

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My 640 keeps rebooting also. Seems to be a SIM issue because I took out the SIM card and didn't restart. Reset back to 8.1 and trying it again. We'll see if it works this time.

V Junk

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site

I'm having the same experience here. I reverted back to WP 8.1, then got back on the Windows Insider Fast Track and kept applying new versions until I was back at 14295. Everything was great over the weekend, then, as soon as someone sent me a text message today, my phone started rebooting again. I got it to stop by quickly disabling cellular data as soon as it booted up. I was able to connect to WiFi with no issues.

I believe I've traced the issue down to Skype. It now integrates with Messaging so I believe that's why it started rebooting again as soon as I received an SMS message.

Someone mentioned having an issue with the People hub. Mine works just fine and this further confirms my suspicions; while on WiFi, I got into Skype and set it up, choosing not to integrate it with my contacts list (i.e., People).

Before turning cellular data back on, I went into Messaging and "read" the new text message. After turning cellular data back on all is well unless someone texts me or I try to open Skype or Messaging.

krunkphone

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site

Just to add a bit more to this thread, when I popped out my T-Mob SIM, no more reboot! (Yeah, no more calls or texts, either.) If I drop the SIM back in, even a few short minutes of browsing will crash the phone. So I suppose it's either hating life with my 521 or reverting back to 8.1 and waiting until someone smarter than I figures this out.

snicknc

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
This happened to both my 640's. Rolled back to 8.1 via WDRT. Upgraded again to 14295 and it is (mostly) problem free. Having intermittent account sync issues and cannot click on "manage" accounts without a settings crash to home screen.

Rebooting quit though.

krunkphone

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
What version of WDRT? The current version (3.3?) won't start as it cannot read my phone (Thor errors and such). I'm about to lose my mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon