Glass not totally flat - defect?

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, does anyone know if the problem of the corners of the screen glass not being totally flat and preventing from sticking screen protectors properly is finally a factory defect?
Are newer units having the same problem?
Don't know if is worth sending the phone to warranty or not if there's nothing to do, but don't think is a normal feature of the phone either.

michael lepage

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have the same problem with my 950xl tried 3 glass screen protectors of different makes, none of them would stick in the corners! I ended up using the thin plastic protectors with a leather and rubber case, so I feel there is a problem with this model and it needs to be fixed by Microsoft.

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I think this nowadays Microsoft build quality, same for the rest of phone really. On other hand it is kind of on par with software development.
:eek:rly:

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I know..
Just would like to know if it's considered a defect and what woukd ve the solution (if anyone sent it for repair).
Isn't Corning who, in theory, manufactures the glass and not Microsoft?
Could it be that the glass ia attached with more pressure in the corners and it bends?

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Screen protectors are garbage I don't even think about covering 950XL beautiful screen with one of those sticky glass sheets. Furthermore, usually when I am done with a super protected screen inside an army anti-tank case suddenly I realize the whole cell phone system is obsolete I wasted all extra protection for nothing...worse even can't sell those damn items :unhappysweat:

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Must Agree.
With the phones being plastic there is no point really protecting it at all - unless you want to sell it as new 2 years later...
But for all that time you will not get to enjoy they phone, just the protection. Does help if you drop it frequently though.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Both my Wife's RM-1116 ( 950XL dual SIM, US market) and my RM-1085 (950XL single SIM internal market) show "warpage" of the glass at the corners. My understanding is that it is Gorilla Glass 4 which is more flexible than Gorilla Glass 3. If so, this might be part of the reason. Find a good oleophobic coated plastic screen protector if you don't want to see the corners lifting up.

Last edited:

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I understand people don't wanting to use a SP, but I think that shouldn't be an excuse for selling a phone with this "feature?" when the protector can even save the screen if dropped.
Also don't understand how MS sells protectors in their stores knowing this will happen.

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
How do we know it's a defect? Could it be that the glass screen protectors are manufactured wrong? Wouldn't be the first time....many have been manufactured for several model phones over the years that were initially missing needed cutouts.....or very slightly too big (happened to me on a GN3)..there are probably only a couple of manufacturers making them all.....

Sent from mTalk

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
We know as a fact that the glass is not totally flat as that can be seen when an image reflects and the corners distort it.
If it's a defect or just a (pointless?) feature will depend on how the phone was designed and intended to be.
If the curvature of the glass is just a voluntary feature, MS shouldn't sell screen protectors that will lift.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, do you know why it is designed that way?

Like for when it falls flat having the corners lifted slightly will prevent the screen from hitting face flat and the shock will get absorbed and pop the plastic case off. It's actually been tested to withstand quite a lot minus water. The screen also is pretty resilient to burns. Someone had a lighter on it for a minute with no issues. Other screens after a few seconds started warping, screen going black and phones stopped working.

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Thought about that as well, pretty much the same principle as the lg g4, obviously more subtle. Just don't understand why if it was like this they wouldn't explain that in costumer service and sell screen protectors that work well. Such a big failure on internal communication between departments maybe

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Screen protectors are garbage I don't even think about covering 950XL beautiful screen with one of those sticky glass sheets. Furthermore, usually when I am done with a super protected screen inside an army anti-tank case suddenly I realize the whole cell phone system is obsolete I wasted all extra protection for nothing...worse even can't sell those damn items :unhappysweat:

I never understand posts like this or why people think like this... I always put screen protectors on my expensive devices as I have seen first hand what happens when you don't. for example my screen protector now has 2 big scratches on it and if I didn't have the protector on then my screen would be scratched! no one takes care of my devices more than me because I'm always selling them for newer upgrades! screen protector is a MUST! also I have seen countless posts on here of people complaining that the gorilla glass isn't as good as they say because they have gotten scratches on their screens with just having it in their pockets...

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I never understand posts like this or why people think like this... I always put screen protectors on my expensive devices as I have seen first hand what happens when you don't. for example my screen protector now has 2 big scratches on it and if I didn't have the protector on then my screen would be scratched! no one takes care of my devices more than me because I'm always selling them for newer upgrades! screen protector is a MUST! also I have seen countless posts on here of people complaining that the gorilla glass isn't as good as they say because they have gotten scratches on their screens with just having it in their pockets...

All screen protectors degrade the screen to some extent, no way possible not to as you are adding another layer.....and screen protectors are not as hard as the screen and therefore will scratch much easier. I used to replace the SP on my wife's phone every two months or so, she carries it loose in her purse and they would be horrible....she has been over a year SP free now and not a scratch.....

Sent from mTalk

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
All screen protectors degrade the screen to some extent, no way possible not to as you are adding another layer.....and screen protectors are not as hard as the screen and therefore will scratch much easier. I used to replace the SP on my wife's phone every two months or so, she carries it loose in her purse and they would be horrible....she has been over a year SP free now and not a scratch.....

Sent from mTalk

what? show me where SP's DEGRADE the screen... never heard of this in my life. and the purse is the worst place for a screen to get scratched, infact there was another member on here that was just complaining about that...

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
what? show me where SP's DEGRADE the screen... never heard of this in my life. and the purse is the worst place for a screen to get scratched, infact there was another member on here that was just complaining about that...

Just saying that I have yet to find a SP that didn't degrade touch sensitivity and clarity to some degree.....ymmv.

Sent from mTalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have also been looking for a screen protector for my XL. I've seen lots of complaints about stiffer tempered glass protectors not sticking properly so I wondered about getting a traditional protector before or going for some liquid screen protection. So far I haven't gone for any protection. Decisions decisions!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk