Mail Notification Sound Not Working after Win 10 Update - Lumia 640 XL

AceIRO

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello All
I updated my Lumia 640XL to Win 10 five days ago. In the process it managed to wipe my Contacts completely and delete one of my email accounts. After a hard reset contacts came back and I managed to add my second e-mail account. I don't like the Outlook app but I will learn to live with it.

After 5 days I have managed to sort most things out except the sound notification in mail. I have set a sound to notify when new new e-mail arrives but it does not seem to be working. I get the new e-mails OK but the the notification sound is not playing. Everything is set for it to play but no luck I am afraid.
I would be grateful for some help/advice.
Many thanks..

AceIRO

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
As my original post states, it has been set to play a sound when a new e-mail arrives but it's just not playing. Your stated menu system does not even appear in Win 10 mobile.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
You should take this path to reach the settings menu:
Setttings -> Notifications and Actions -> Outlook mail
Also, if you have several accounts synced, make sure you selected "Play a sound" in Outlook settings for all of them. I have 640 XL and it works fine for me.

AceIRO

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your reply. The menu system is different with Win 10 Mobile. The way I have set the sound is :
All settings>Personalisation>Sounds>Manage App Sounds>Show notifications from these apps
I have selected Outlook and enabled all notification and sound but unfortunately the sound does not work. I have 2 e-mail accounts but there is no option to choose them separately, just Outlook. I could do this before in Win 8.1 but not now. The text sound works fine.
I would be interested in your thoughts.
Thanks..

LoomeyTunes64

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
The following worked for me after a recent update.

As well as having the desired sound selected at "Settings >Personalisation>Sounds>Manage App Sounds>Show notifications from these apps>Outlook Mail>Notification sound", I also had to;

• Open up the Outlook Mail App
  • Tap "..." (bottom right next to Search)
  • Tap "Settings"
  • Tap "Options"
    Then scroll down to "Notifications"
  • Check the box "Show a notification banner"
  • Check the box "Play a sound"
Good Luck :smile:

Last edited:

a153829

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. This worked like a charm for me. I had exactly the same issue after a recent WP10 Outlook "upgrade" and didn't realize that I needed to customize notification sounds in two different menus to make it work.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Guess what another 'update' and two step backwards for W10M again. The new email notification sounds have been screwed up again after the pointless 'creators update'. Tips here and elsewhere do not work for most people and it seems the luck of the draw if this useful feature ever works. Pathetic software company also ruined my Barclays Bank app which was one of the few useful W10M apps on this phone - Barclays aware of this but fix may be years coming. Edge Browser is also now sporting new microscopic font size which is almost unreadable on most sites without zooming in and then trying to scroll - not user friendly at all. Thanks MSFT for nothing.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me, for now!
Ensure all of the above have been done.
Unlink my two email accounts.
Set volume to 8.
Delete non Outlook email account.
Soft reset.
Confirm Outlook account now gets new email notification sound.
Add non MSFT account & setup all settings for notifications as posts above.
Soft reset.
Link inbox again.
Check notifications apply to both.
Soft reset.
Voila! Email notification sounds again at last.
Thanks for the time wasting exercise Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes