950 ordered - suggestions for a new W10 user

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Finally managed to figure out how to import a 950 from the US into Australia. Just to complicate the situation, I'm British.

So...

The phone is on its way and I should have it in the next 10 days or so. I've ordered the US version since it works out cheaper than buying it locally (AUD899 vs the discounted US$449 offer from a few weeks back) but it also has the far more useful dual sim slots - one for my British SIM, the other for the local Aussie one I'll be using for this year (and likely a US SIM next year).

I already have the red/gold Mozo cover with me and have the display dock back home, so will be playing with that around the end of the year. Screen protector would be nice but I could do with a local Australian supplier.

Any suggestions on setting it up (is restoring from a backup a good idea? Any problems with restoring SMS)? I haven't used Win10 on my 830 and am planning on retiring it on 8.1 GDR2 so haven't used Win 10 in anger.

Also, any known LTE bands that it doesn't have? So far as I can tell it will work on all 2G/3G/4G bands currently deployed globally which is a big reason for the upgrade (my UK unlocked 830 doesn't have much in the way of Aussie/American LTE support). My understanding is that it would work perfectly on AT&T/T-Mobile without missing any LTE bands. Visual voicemail would be nice but far from essential.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have any problems with the bands. As far as the backup restore goes, just make sure on your current phone, you have text message backup ON, then when you get the new phone, you'll be able to restore all of your text message conversations in settings/system/messaging/sync messages between devices.

The text messages are backed up totally separate from the regular "backups". So if it were me, I wouldn't restore a backup on the new phone. (Just do the messages sync) and start fresh. All the apps you own are easily accessed through the store provided you're signed into the new phone with the same Microsoft account.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone! Let us know how it goes...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes