Lumia 650 keeps restarting when using a memory card (getting corrupted maybe?)

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Sorry to post this here as well (already posted with MS community! but need to find a solution for this issue!

I am having issues with 2 Lumia 650s. I convinced both my parents to get one. They like the phones but are both having the same issue.

When a memory card is inserted it runs ok for a bit then when charging the phone will suddenly keep rebooting in a loop

The first time it happened was when connecting to a computer, so I took the memory card out (SanDisk 32gb - link below), formatted it and put it back in and it was ok again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-An...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3470679

But since then both have gone into a continuous loop whilst charging!

Is this a known software issue? Or is it a hardware problem? Both were purchased from Carphone Warehouse UK (different stores) and both have been updated to the latest software (.218)

hope someone can confirm/help as the phones only seem to run reliably with no micro SD card at the moment!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Sorry to post this here as well (already posted with MS community! but need to find a solution for this issue!

I am having issues with 2 Lumia 650s. I convinced both my parents to get one. They like the phones but are both having the same issue.

When a memory card is inserted it runs ok for a bit then when charging the phone will suddenly keep rebooting in a loop

The first time it happened was when connecting to a computer, so I took the memory card out (SanDisk 32gb - link below), formatted it and put it back in and it was ok again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-An...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3470718

But since then both have gone into a continuous loop whilst charging!

Is this a known software issue? Or is it a hardware problem? Both were purchased from Carphone Warehouse UK (different stores) and both have been updated to the latest software (.218)

hope someone can confirm/help as the phones only seem to run reliably with no micro SD card at the moment!

Better make an sd extended check via card reader, before format in FAT32 (not fast format).

I got a 650 before in .218 and now in Redstone, (firmware updated) with a ultrafast Lexar 16 GB SD inside, and it's quite perfect

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but this is happening on 2 different phones and 2 different memory cards. Surely the phones is corrupting the cards some how?

flapadlr_Nok900

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This happened on my 650 as well, moved a 64GB Sandisk from the 830 to the 650 and Camera, other things that save files would not work. Once I removed the card phone works ok. Camera app still does not load 100% of the time, but it was 0% of the time with the SD card in. It would also prompt to format the card.

Back on topic, I intend to format the card in a dedicated reader, but your experience has me wary. Having less than 16gb for photos and video is not practical. I'll post back when I try to format and reinsert the card.

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Cool, would be keen to hear how you get on! Maybe it just needs a clean formatted card? Was it coming from 8.1 or w10m?

Like I said in pm since receiving new cards for both they appear to be more stable

Time will tell

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Parents are still having issues! My mums phone was freezing up, being unresponsive and frustrating. Discharging quickly too. They took the sd card or and got a new one. Now working again! Old card came up with some scan and fix when connected to a computer! Still dint know if it's the card or the phones. My dads is still running ok

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by grazy1982
Parents are still having issues! My mums phone was freezing up, being unresponsive and frustrating. Discharging quickly too. They took the sd card or and got a new one. Now working again! Old card came up with some scan and fix when connected to a computer! Still dint know if it's the card or the phones. My dads is still running ok

Hey Grazy.. What build are you on ? I had random reboots but NEVER had a reboot loop in my 650.
As for SD card, im using a 32GB UHS 1 card and its perfect !
Im on 10586.420 now with all the system app and other apps updated. In most of the cases it is apps like PicsArt and Windows Central that caused my phone to get completely stuck although WC is becoming better now.
Keep me updated. And if it still doesn't help, I suggest dk a hard reset in both phones (via WDRT would help in some cases) and then update to the latest build :)

Sh4mo

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem.
I just bought a Lumia 650.
Unfortunately when using the SD card, the phone keeps restarting without giving me the option to do anything.
I've unsuccessfully tried to repair the errors on the SD card, but the only thing that seems to work to a certain point is formatting.
After formatting, the SD card is usable. The phone can read and write on the SD card, but at random moments the "bug" reappears and I have to format again, to stop the problem. It happens very often though.
The phone works well without card in it.
I can't install app on the SD card, it triggers the issue. It's the only thing I'm certain about.
Is it a software issue? A hardware one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac