950XL fully supported by AT&T and/or Verizon?

scadaman29325b

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I've heard different versions of this and need clarification before throwing the money down.

Is the 950XL fully supported by AT&T and/or Verizon straight out of the box?
Will it need unlocking?
Can the same phone be used for AT&T and VZ?
What kind of limitations might it have on AT&T / VZ?

Do you think it is ready for work?

Thanks!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've heard different versions of this and need clarification before throwing the money down.

Will it need unlocking?

Thanks!

I have never seen an article reporting Verizon supporting Lumia 950 or 950XL. I'm sure it has been proven that the phones don't include the standard Verizon radios and frequencies. Verizon doesn't sell either of them.

Certainly, I don't know what will happen in the future. What sources are you referring to?

Last edited:

scadaman29325b

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Kevin.
I was writing about AT&T's support for the 950xl and threw in the part about Verizon.

So, is there limitations of 950xl on AT&T?
Thanks again.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Will it need unlocking?

Thanks!

As Kevin mentioned, I have never heard of Verizon supporting it. Plenty of people wish that it did though. There is some debate whether the radios are really present and just disabled and I have searched for them, but have never been able to find anywhere to turn them on if they do exist. You might be able to use LTE on Verizon, but you would have to be standing in a very specific spot and not move if you can even talk Verizon into letting the device be activated on their network. In other words Verizon is not supported out of the box or at all.

For AT&T, it has all the necessary hardware to support their network. AT&T does not directly sell it though and as far as I know is only sold unlocked so you won't have to worry about that part. The only limitation might be Visual Voicemail, but I believe there are posts on this forum on how to get it working. In short, yes 950XL is fully supported by AT&T straight out of the box.

And finally "do you think it is ready for work?".... well I manage to do work on it.... I'm not really sure what you are trying to ask or get at. If you mean stability of Windows 10 Mobile then, yes it is ready. Stay on production builds only and you will have no problems. The insider builds are really for exactly that, those who want to help Microsoft develop Windows 10 Mobile. These insider builds will have problems. So if you don't want to deal with those problems then stay on production.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

Will it need unlocking?

Thanks!

Yes, it fully works on ATT in the USA. You may have to call support if your LTE icon isn't working and give them an IMEI from a supported phone model. This was back in January 2016 for me, so maybe their network now support IMEI's LTE for the 950XL. VVM, SMS, all work fine.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Will it need unlocking?

Thanks!

Microsoft fixed the issue of VVM not working on ATT with later OS builds. I have had LTE working from the beginning, but I had to give the number from my 640 to do that when they set it up. They may be able to do that without using an existing ATT model now, but I am not sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit