11-16-2016 08:08 AM
141 1234 ...
tools
    Well, I was upset earlier and ready to revert back to 8.1 because my phone was simply wonky after the update, and still wonky after a hard reset. After the second hard reset, things started behaving more normally and I was able to install the 318 update. I have a 640 XL set for delivery next week, but I'm not sure I want to go through all of this again so soon. I'll probably keep this on 10 but the XL on 8.1 for a while longer
    If I were you this is the process I would follow:

1) Upgrade to W10 10586.107 (first build)
    2) Update apps via Store
    3) Update to 10586.318 (latest production build)
    4) Hard reset
    5) Go through the OOBE setup, update apps
    6) Finally start using phone
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-04-2016 12:19 AM
    Today AT&T released Window 10 Mobile for the Lumia 640. I've got the update going on 4 of my family's phones. Everything seems to be working fine, with one notable exception. Contacts are either missing or incomplete at best.

Another thing which is very weird is that to two of them I've tried adding their Outlook.com email, in the Outlook app. It says it added it, but then when we try to open the email - nothing. No email, no account, nada. Why is that? How are we supposed to fix this problem?
    06-04-2016 12:27 AM
    I saw this failure to migrate the Outlook accounts when I updated my folks' three 640s and 640XLs to Windows 10 Mobile via the Insider App a couple weeks ago. I had to eventually do a reset and bring down their most recent backup to get the accounts recognized in mail again. Seems that would be something that QA should have checked in the upgrade process. :)
    06-04-2016 12:46 AM
    Thank you, John. What sort of reset are you talking about?
    06-04-2016 08:44 AM
    Exact same problem here. I am going to try to reset the phone even though that is a major pain to have to reinstall everything...
    06-04-2016 08:49 AM
    Had the missing contacts (some appeared, many didn't) after the update and outlook wasn't working. All other stuff seemed OK. Did a backup then hard reset and now my contacts and outlook are back. Didn't have to manually reinstall anything. In fact, I'll get rid of some of the ATT&T stuff that got installed. Other Store apps are now updating.
    Gab A likes this.
    06-04-2016 09:09 AM
    Thanks for sharing. Will try a backup and hard reset.
    06-04-2016 09:42 AM
    Well... I did not go very far. In order to reset (from Settings, System, About) the phone needs to turn Reset Protection off... but when I try I get the message "Ooops! Looks like we ran into a problem trying to turn off Reset Protection. Make sure you have a network connection and try again later." Same message if I go in Update & Security, Find My Phone. Any suggestion?

Update: I simply retried about 10 minutes later and this time it worked. Strange. Now in the process of restoring last Backup after the reset which did not take long...
    Last edited by Gab A; 06-04-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    06-04-2016 09:52 AM
    I confirm that doing a Phone Reset (from Settings, System, About) solves the contact issue. Now in the process of automatically re-downloading all the apps that were on the phone. It is too bad that even the apps that were on the SD card need to be re-downloaded (somehow Windows mobile claims that the SD card comes from another phone and that the existing apps need to be deleted)
    06-04-2016 10:45 AM
    Something I noticed after the update to W10M. I don't see Office 365 anymore. I did with WP 8.1. Did something change WRT Office 365 and W10M?

I do see Word, etc but they behave and look differently than before the update.
    06-04-2016 01:20 PM
    Something I noticed after the update to W10M. I don't see Office 365 anymore. I did with WP 8.1. Did something change WRT Office 365 and W10M?

I do see Word, etc but they behave and look differently than before the update.
    You will now have the apps listed separately instead of as "Office". It is the new UWP apps for Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, Powerpoint Mobile, etc. They are much more feature rich and capable than before. Enjoy the new Office. Takes a little time to get used to the changes, but well worth it. It beats the version available for WP8.1 by miles.
    06-04-2016 03:49 PM
    My only worry is WhatsApp stuff needs to show up without any issues after upgrading to WM10. Once I get that figured out I am going to upgrade it. In the meantime WP8.1 is fine on my 640.
    06-04-2016 05:51 PM
    Hi. So I have done a Phone Reset as you suggested and the People/Contacts issue is solved. Thanks! However after that I had to re-download apps which took a while (and reboot at least once to update Glance)... I am now down to four that somehow cannot install for a reason that is unclear to me: "Rate Your Device", "Gesture & Touch", "Lumia motion data" and Lumia Highlights (US)". Any idea of what I could try? Thanks.
    06-04-2016 07:22 PM
    My only worry is WhatsApp stuff needs to show up without any issues after upgrading to WM10. Once I get that figured out I am going to upgrade it. In the meantime WP8.1 is fine on my 640.
    For WhatsApp you can perform a backup on the SD card and restore it later in case the update messes up the installation.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-04-2016 08:06 PM
    Hi. So I have done a Phone Reset as you suggested and the People/Contacts issue is solved. Thanks! However after that I had to re-download apps which took a while (and reboot at least once to update Glance)... I am now down to four that somehow cannot install for a reason that is unclear to me: "Rate Your Device", "Gesture & Touch", "Lumia motion data" and Lumia Highlights (US)". Any idea of what I could try? Thanks.
    They are on your SD card probably. Go to Storage, move them to internal memory, and they will update. Note that the names in Storage may not be exact matches, but it'll be clear enough what they are.
    RumoredNow and Gab A like this.
    06-04-2016 09:31 PM
    THANKS! The previous versions were indeed on the SD card (with similar names). I moved all the apps published by "Microsoft Mobile" to the phone and then the four problematic apps installed without problem (Motion data required a reboot).

Last thing: quite often when I reboot the phone I get a message that something might be wrong with the SD card. If I check the card on the phone typically it tells me that the problem cannot be corrected but if I do a chkdsk from a computer it typically reports that everything is OK. It looks like the only issue is that the "dirty bit" is set (as reported via a fsutil dirty query). Any idea on preventing this from happening?
    06-04-2016 10:33 PM
    For WhatsApp you can perform a backup on the SD card and restore it later in case the update messes up the installation.
    Yup, I did that. Phone is updated to W10 10586.107 (first build) and all my apps are updated as well. Before I hard reset I just want to find out if the hard reset will clear out the SD card or not.
    06-04-2016 10:36 PM
    So for my daughter's phone seems to be OK without a hard reset after the initial upgrade. Should I still do a hard reset? It seems fine as of now. I bought the phone used and it was wiped clean with 8.1 Denim Update 2. No issue with contacts as she only has a few and all are accounted for. She's just mad that most of her game saves didn't transfer over and now has to start all over again.
    06-04-2016 10:41 PM
    A hard reset does not clear the SD card unless you explicitly select the option to do so... However once the reset is done Windows phone/mobile will tell you that you need to delete all the apps present on the SD card if you want to install new apps to the card... So to me it looks like the only things you can keep on the SD card during a hard reset are documents/pictures/music and now offline maps. That said power users might know a workaround...
    pankaj981 likes this.
    06-04-2016 10:56 PM
    Once you're on W10 Settings / System / About / Reset your Phone (at the bottom). Then when you choose their Microsoft Account to use it will look for their last backup and just use that.
    06-04-2016 11:33 PM
    A hard reset does not clear the SD card unless you explicitly select the option to do so... However once the reset is done Windows phone/mobile will tell you that you need to delete all the apps present on the SD card if you want to install new apps to the card... So to me it looks like the only things you can keep on the SD card during a hard reset are documents/pictures/music and now offline maps. That said power users might know a workaround...
    Had that problem, too, with my 640 periodically prompting me to scan the SD card for errors. Unfortunately the only solution I found was the nuclear option: backup the photos/music/docs on SD card to computer, have the phone format the card, put the backup back on the phone, re-download offline maps. Hopefully someone else has a better idea, but I never found one.
    06-05-2016 07:10 AM
    If I were you this is the process I would follow:

1) Upgrade to W10 10586.107 (first build)
    2) Update apps via Store
    3) Update to 10586.318 (latest production build)
    4) Hard reset
    5) Go through the OOBE setup, update apps
    6) Finally start using phone
    Does this keep text messages from 8.1? My wife is concerned about losing text history. I played with 10 on my 920 back in the day (reverted to 8.1 after two weeks), but then started my 640 I bought last month on 10 Release Preview, no restore. When it came up, it grabbed my text messages from when my 920 was on 10, but that was it.

Based on that, should there be a step in between 2 and 3 about doing a backup, that way texts get synced to the cloud? Then even after the OOBE, it should restore, right?
    06-05-2016 10:29 AM
    Had that problem, too, with my 640 periodically prompting me to scan the SD card for errors. Unfortunately the only solution I found was the nuclear option: backup the photos/music/docs on SD card to computer, have the phone format the card, put the backup back on the phone, re-download offline maps. Hopefully someone else has a better idea, but I never found one.
    Just let him do the file system check. After about 10 minutes it will say that the SD card cannot be repaired.

Now don't do anything and ignore the message ! A few minutes more, and everything is ok again. Apps from SD card can be used and photos reappear.

That's a good example of M$ software quality checks. Or the lack of it.
    06-05-2016 10:30 AM
    Quick question, to get the 318 update after 107, do you use phone update or upgrade advisor again? Thanks
    06-05-2016 11:21 AM
    Just let him do the file system check. After about 10 minutes it will say that the SD card cannot be repaired.

Now don't do anything and ignore the message ! A few minutes more, and everything is ok again. Apps from SD card can be used and photos reappear.

That's a good example of M$ software quality checks. Or the lack of it.
    This is true, the problem always went away eventually and never cause any real instability. I just got sick of the messages popping up periodically.
    06-05-2016 11:31 AM
141 1234 ...