950XL, reading text not working. When is it getting a fix?

neil_th

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
950XL. Reading text not working

Does anyone have their 950XL reliably reading out text messages in-car. Mine has been unreliable since I got it six months ago, I keep hoping an update will fix it - but no!

Today I pulled my old Lumia 925 out of retirement and it works perfectly in-car. So, why doesn't the 950XL - this is supposed to be a flagship device and in all other aspects I think it's great. Come on Microsoft!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: 950XL. Reading text not working

Does anyone have their 950XL reliably reading out text messages in-car. Mine has been unreliable since I got it six months ago, I keep hoping an update will fix it - but no!

Today I pulled my old Lumia 925 out of retirement and it works perfectly in-car. So, why doesn't the 950XL - this is supposed to be a flagship device and in all other aspects I think it's great. Come on Microsoft!

is the 925 on 8.1 or W10M?

Try adding the device again to the system in the car

neil_th

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site

Here's an interesting discovery. Just paired a brand new (company) 950XL with my car and it works fine. My own six-month old 950XL does not. Could this be a hardware fault? Thanks.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Here's an interesting discovery. Just paired a brand new (company) 950XL with my car and it works fine. My own six-month old 950XL does not. Could this be a hardware fault? Thanks.

check using windows device recovery tool if there is a firmware update pending
Also check that you're on the latest official update: 10586.420

neil_th

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks for the advice. Did a hard reset today, checked firmware levels etc were same as the other 950XL (they were), re-paired and it is working much better now.

Don't suppose you know anything about activating Cortana (eg to send a text) by dialling 5555559876 thru the car's keypad / contact book. It doesn't work, wondering if this feature is supported in the UK. Thanks again.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't suppose you know anything about activating Cortana (eg to send a text) by dialling 5555559876 thru the car's keypad / contact book. It doesn't work, wondering if this feature is supported in the UK. Thanks again.
With my headset, I press and hold the call button for a few seconds till I hear a beep. If you can see your phone, you will observe it wake to the Cortana screen. I then issue my request to Cortana, through the headset, sometimes I can hear the active Mic in my ear when Cortana is listening.
The BT device seems to need to be in a certain mode for it to wake Cortana. I have had a lot of success, but it is tricky.

neil_th

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, I'm trying to use this with the built-in Bluetooth connectivity on a C class Merc. From what I've read online the 950 will put a "Cortana" contact into the cars contacts (and it has). The number behind this contact is 5555559876. If I call that contact it is supposed to wake Cortana, but it doesn't. Has anyone got this working please?

neil_th

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Final comment - I really like the 950XL, great camera, great screen, great phone. But, if reliable in-car connectivity is important to you - beware - try before you buy!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes