Lumia 640 on Cricket - no issues upgrading to Windows 10?

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I thought about picking up a Lumia 640 from Cricket, my current carrier, but wanted to make sure that it could get Windows 10 through Upgrade Advisor. I did not see anything that specifically stated yes or no, but given that Cricket is owned by AT&T I thought it would be available but did not want to assume. I am happy with my Lumia 650 but wouldn't mind having a reliable backup / daily driver to switch to.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I went the windows insider route with mine.. just set it to release preview ring :) (this ring is basically as close as it gets to RTM)

just sharing my thoughts

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I ran Insider on my 650 but had an issue with inbound callers not able to hear me / vice versa. I don't want to risk show-stopping errors like that preventing me from using my phone. It's official or nothing at all.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cricket has not released an Official Upgrade so far as I know...

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by officially supported phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

You will likely come in at 10.0.10586.127 and be able to take updates through normal update method to get to 10586.456

You may then use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates to you without any Insider access required.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: Windows Device Recovery Tool FAQ

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I went the windows insider route with mine.. just set it to release preview ring :) (this ring is basically as close as it gets to RTM)

just sharing my thoughts

Do you, or anybody know what the MMS settings are? I just upgraded my kid's 640 to WM10 and cannot receive MMS texts. I checked out the settings on Cricket's support page, but it was more geared towards WP8.1. If you can take a look at your SIM settings and share the correct field inputs, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't think to look at my 950XL and found that there is no configuration for MMS. It didn't work the first time, so I manually entered which resulted in the same problem. Removed the settings and rebooted; now it works.

Last edited:

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
If all else fails, I will ask Cricket but I doubt they will know the answer or understand my question. Insider is great, but it isn't perfect. I was on the fast ring using the build just before the one released yesterday afternoon / evening. I rolled back through Windows Device Recovery Tool and performed the upgrade to the latest released version for the 650 and all was well call wise. I will probably not venture into Insider again with this particular phone. I have to have it working.

The other option I have, if there is a Microsoft account associated with the demo phone, is to try and install Upgrade Advisor and see if Windows 10 is available. If it is, great. I want it. If not, oh well.

SynthDude

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I thought about picking up a Lumia 640 from Cricket, my current carrier, but wanted to make sure that it could get Windows 10 through Upgrade Advisor. I did not see anything that specifically stated yes or no, but given that Cricket is owned by AT&T I thought it would be available but did not want to assume. I am happy with my Lumia 650 but wouldn't mind having a reliable backup / daily driver to switch to.
It is specified on Microsoft site that 640 is upgradable to windows 10

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
OP wants to know if he can get the upgrade without insiders access. I simply suggested the insider route
Yes, and they said they were afraid of show-stopping issues on the Insider, which is why they asked for UA version only.

I'm simply providing context from the perspective of someone who is dogfooding/daily-driving a Cricket L640 on the Insider Builds to hopefully assuage those fears. Obviously, some of the noted bugs in the Insider Builds have applied, but I've not had any problems that prevented me from using my phone as well, a phone. I sincerely doubt CricKet will launch the W10 firmware, but I really hope that they do. This may be the only path forward to W10 on the CricKet L640, unfortunately :\

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is specified on Microsoft site that 640 is upgradable to windows 10

Sure but some supported phones are having issues with getting the update via the normal route.

The carrier (Cricket) is sitting in the upgrade path. That's why I recommend Insider Release Ring and then withdraw from Insider by choosing Production Ring. It takes the carrier out of the equation and once on W10M, WaaS (Windows as a Service) kicks in and all your updates just flow.

josim

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I updated my 2 ATT Gophones on Cricket by following these instructions on the 640 Win 10 update thread here. You have to install the upgrade advisor app first, I don't know the exact name of the app, and then:

1) Upgrade to W10 10586.107 (first build)
2) Update apps via Store
3) Update to 10586.318 (latest production build)
4) Hard reset
5) Go through the OOBE setup, update apps
6) Finally start using phone

Again this is with a gophone. I would think it would work with a cricket phone.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The carrier (Cricket) is sitting in the upgrade path. That's why I recommend Insider Release Ring and then withdraw from Insider by choosing Production Ring. It takes the carrier out of the equation and once on W10M, WaaS (Windows as a Service) kicks in and all your updates just flow.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital