Help! I do not get a notification sound when a new email arrives. Where is the problem?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 with the following Settings:
1. Settings>System>Notifications&Infos>Outlook-Mail-App (on)
2. Outlook-Mail>...>Settings>Notifications>PlaySound (checked)

I get no Sound but only a visual notification on the lock Screen. If I check "Show notification banner" & "Play Sound" I get a Sound and a notification banner but there is no more visual notification on the lock Screen.

Odd.

Any help/Solutions?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 with the following Settings:
1. Settings>System>Notifications&Infos>Outlook-Mail-App (on)
2. Outlook-Mail>...>Settings>Notifications>PlaySound (checked)

I get no Sound but only a visual notification on the lock Screen. If I check "Show notification banner" & "Play Sound" I get a Sound and a notification banner but there is no more visual notification on the lock Screen.

Odd.

Any help/Solutions?

In Lockscreen settings, add Outlook on the tray icons.

In Nofies settings, remove check in Keep private in lockscreen

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been using a 950 dual sim since May 23. Charger was faulty so they replaced a new one for me. It does get hot a fair bit if you use it for too long. Battery usage sucks initially but after some tinkering with how to save some juice & now is OK. I have updated to the latest firmware. Everything works incl "double tap." Lately I have noticed that SMS received does not alert sound notification & does not show in the notification drawer. I have tried soft resetting numerous time but to no avail. All notification settings are in order. I can get notifications in WhatsApp though. I have sent the phone in for reformatting & see how it goes. All in all I'm quite happy with the phone. Much much better than the 930 battery wise. I can't even get it through a day without recharging. Still keeping my 1020 because of the camera but I'm not using it because the hardware is obsolete - slow & battery does not last too.
Cheers mate!

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I had same problem, but i figured out how to enable the notification sound. Sad side is that i just can't remember how :( But my glance screen is set up so that i see, when i received a new email.

anon(10000112)

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Just bought new 950XL. Email, Text Messaging all work find but no alerts when new email, messages arrive. Notification centre doesn't update. Outlook icon doesn't updated to show how many unread emails there are. On my previous Windows 8.1 phone, this all worked fine but using Windows 10 on new 950XL, doesn't. Have viewed tons of forums, communications and after following recommendations, advice, all to no avail. Is there a limitation to Windows 10 which is preventing notifcation centre being updated and Outlook icon showing number of unread email?

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Just bought new 950XL. Email, Text Messaging all work find but no alerts when new email, messages arrive. Notification centre doesn't update. Outlook icon doesn't updated to show how many unread emails there are. On my previous Windows 8.1 phone, this all worked fine but using Windows 10 on new 950XL, doesn't. Have viewed tons of forums, communications and after following recommendations, advice, all to no avail. Is there a limitation to Windows 10 which is preventing notifcation centre being updated and Outlook icon showing number of unread email?

1. Check that outlook mail is allowed in the background
2. Check in the action center settings that notifications for outlook are enabled.
Settings➡ System➡ Notifications and Actions➡ Outlook Mail and Calender

3. Check in the email app that notifications are enabled
Outlook Mail➡ Settings➡ Notifications. Then toggle "show notifications in the action centre". Check "Show notification banner" and Play a sound

anon(10000112)

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Sammy. I've confirmed that steps 2 and 3 are configured as stated.

Step 2. Clicking on Outlook it brings up Notification On, Show Notifications Banner On, Show Notifications in Action Centre On... Keep Notifications Private on the Lock Screen Off.

Step 3. Outlook Notifications - Show Notifications in Action Centre On, Show a Notification Banner Ticked, PLay a Sound Ticked, Show Notifications for Folders Pinned to Start Ticked.

Regarding Step 1 - I'm unsure what this means "Outlook mail is allowed in background".

Further info:

On occasions when opening Outlook and an email then just arrives and I get a vibrate sound and a message appear at the top of the display, external to Outlook but Outlook icon doesn't update with number of unread emails.

Thanks for your swift response earlier.

Regards.

Dave.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Sammy. I've confirmed that steps 2 and 3 are configured as stated.

Step 2. Clicking on Outlook it brings up Notification On, Show Notifications Banner On, Show Notifications in Action Centre On... Keep Notifications Private on the Lock Screen Off.

Step 3. Outlook Notifications - Show Notifications in Action Centre On, Show a Notification Banner Ticked, PLay a Sound Ticked, Show Notifications for Folders Pinned to Start Ticked.

Regarding Step 1 - I'm unsure what this means "Outlook mail is allowed in background".

Further info:

On occasions when opening Outlook and an email then just arrives and I get a vibrate sound and a message appear at the top of the display, external to Outlook but Outlook icon doesn't update with number of unread emails.

Thanks for your swift response earlier.

Regards.

Dave.

For step 1 you'll find the setting in settings ➡ System ➡ Battery ➡ Battery Usage by app, then scroll down to Mail and calender. Tap on it and the following settings should appear:

Always allowed in Background
Managed by Windows
Never allowed in background.

Select either the first or second option if the last is selected. If that doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.

anon(10000112)

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
:smile: WHAT A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you Sammy.... perfect. I changed to always allowed in background for both email and messaging and now icons updated and I get messages in notification centre. Perfect. Wonderful, after so many days trying to fix this. Wow! Brilliant :smile:

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
So....there is not one, or two, but three options to set in order to activate notification sounds!!!!
Although I am a hardcore Windows phone user, stuff like this makes it hard to recommend the OS to others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb