HP Elite X3 And Why They Are Targeting Enterprise

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned somewhere else on here that I put in an order for this device yesterday and should arrive on the 17th. Super excited. I also wanted to mentioned that I went through the full HP training and sales material on this device and came away with a few thoughts. First, HP did extensive research it appears on mobile phone users and indicated their approached was driven mostly by Gen Y and Z and less around Gen X. Meaning, the former, according to their research, are almost 70% more likely to do work on their mobile device at first thought than on any other device.

Looks like they did tons and tons of research from a variety of different sources to come up with the latest trends in business market and that also includes small business as well. According to the training documents, this device is to be sold to ITDM's and Execs as a part of a larger ecosystem, which we have heard before. This time it seems HP has turned up the hype on the One Device that's all devices approach. I also took away that from a sales perspective, it is recommended that one push the software and capabilities of the device vs the device itself. One last thing of note, the list of apps that will run virtually is not nearly as large as I initially assumed.
hp.png

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

As much as consumers might be clamoring for the Elite X3, I think it is smart that they are sticking with their Enterprise focus. The sad reality is that a huge percentage of consumers who say I want this really mean "I want this if someone gives it to me, provides a huge discount or allows me to pay a small monthly surcharge on my carrier bill." The thing is gorgeous, but it ain't cheap. Making sure the end user understands the focus of the device is not only clever, but likely necessary as they are trying to leverage a new paradigm in the market they are targeting.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Just need two or three large corps to buy into it and sit back for the feedback

Sent from mTalk

I use to work at HP in Enterprise Global Accounts and, that's correct, the "customer now dictates"!

I am quite sure that HP Enterprise sales teams are picking the "low hanging fruit FIRST" = large AT&T Enterprise customers!

I also would be "shocked" if HP hasn't already moved forward on a Verizon "option" = third party certification as HP can't afford to "abandon" those large deals that require Verizon!

We just will NOT hear about it until HP closes some very large Verizon deals!

PS Despite our love for WC Forums ... they are primarily consumer oriented. We will NOT be connected into the "INTERNAL HP + large HP channel partners + HP" communications loop!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I use to work at HP in Enterprise Global Accounts and, that's correct, the "customer now dictates"!

I am quite sure that HP Enterprise sales teams are picking the "low hanging fruit FIRST" = large AT&T Enterprise customers!

I also would be "shocked" if HP hasn't already moved forward on a Verizon "option" = third party certification as HP can't afford to "abandon" those large deals that require Verizon!

We just will NOT hear about it until HP closes some very large Verizon deals!

PS Despite our love for WC Forums ... they are primarily consumer oriented. We will NOT be connected into the "INTERNAL HP + large HP channel partners + HP" communications loop!

verizon had to show up in this thread at some point. Do they have 90% of the US market ? :winktongue:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's my understanding that HP already has at least 2 very large entities who will be serviced with the Elite package.
Should be a money maker.

Not necessarily just about money. It's about gaining experience with your products and learning from them to create even better products. Eventually possibly moving to the consumer landscape.

That's how MS did it with the surface line, it took them a few iterations before they got things down. HP already has a better hardware foundation but this is sort of new for them.

There's also the fact when MS finally releases Redstone 2 and there's better more capable hardware HP will follow the reference design and be the company that provides Upgrades to their current customers. It's usually good to be one of the first to get your foot in the door.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The Elite x3 is no small effort.
I mentioned that it is my understanding (from an insider) that it's aimed at servicing large high end users.
HP wouldn't have gone ahead with this without extensive research and pre-order promises from large enterprise users.

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I mentioned that it is my understanding (from an insider) that it's aimed at servicing large high end users.
HP wouldn't have gone ahead with this without extensive research and pre-order promises from large enterprise users.

Even so, it doesn't mean they will be reaping buckets of cash flow. It's an early service created by feedback. This will help them work with the enterprises further to enhance their hp workspace suite among other services. It's really not the hardware that will be making them more money but services that they will tack on with it as well as bundles. You really have to sell a lot of phone hardware to make money off it. Consider MS selling 2.3 million phones is considered bad in the phone business.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
So if I quite understand all of this - HP is mainly targeting enterprise but the phone is available to consumers who're willing to pay for it too?

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

In large Enterprise sales, the HP Elite x3 is simply a single "endpoint" in a long chain of server infrastructure, large database deployments, customized software etc. For example, an Enterprise wants to "enhance their sales reps/teams" to be more productive?

And, "connecting everything together wirelessly", which is why HP simply can't "ignore" a large Enterprise that uses Verizon and/or where Verizon has better coverage!

This is NOT just about selling a "smartphone" as it is with consumer sales!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
In large Enterprise sales, the HP Elite x3 is simply a single "endpoint" in a long chain of server infrastructure, large database deployments, customized software etc. For example, an Enterprise wants to "enhance their sales reps/teams" to be more productive?

And, "connecting everything together wirelessly", which is why HP simply can't "ignore" a large Enterprise that uses Verizon and/or where Verizon has better coverage!

This is NOT just about selling a "smartphone" as it is with consumer sales!

45 countries where the elite x3 is releasing, only one country has a carrier called verizon and therefore the impact of not having the phone compatible with that network can be less than 2% :devil:

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
45 countries where the elite x3 is releasing, only one country has a carrier called verizon and therefore the impact of not having the phone compatible with that network can be less than 2% :devil:

Not a real good analogy when you figure the amount of commercial business conducted in the US relative to those other 46 countries combined.

Then you take that toatl figure of US commercial business and figure VZW has 35% of the cellular phone business in the US, the impact is not just "2%". On a global scale, it may look small just based on countries served, but the number is much more significant when compared to the amount of commercial business conducted over a given network.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks OP for sharing. Hope you keep us updated when unboxing.

For enterprise deals, I really hope they found a large enough user base so other companies can take notices and can decide to jump on board. Business decisions will take time though, they will not buy on impulse.

Posted from my Surface 3 running W10

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Not a real good analogy when you figure the amount of commercial business conducted in the US relative to those other 46 countries combined.

Then you take that toatl figure of US commercial business and figure VZW has 35% of the cellular phone business in the US, the impact is not just "2%". On a global scale, it may look small just based on countries served, but the number is much more significant when compared to the amount of commercial business conducted over a given network.

Very well stated, Verizon is a huge player in the US market ... and since, according to recent articles I have read, AT&T may be getting close to Verizon's 35% market share, a "NO-Verizon solution" still subtracts a whopping amount of potential Enterprise customers that HP can target.

But, the "world" is now an international landscape and even Verizon offers a GSM option when going outside the US ... so, perhaps HP is leveraging that in their initial Enterprise sales process and has enough interest with AT&T based Enterprise customers?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I beg to differ on this. I'll write more on this, just give me some time to do research

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks OP for sharing. Hope you keep us updated when unboxing.

For enterprise deals, I really hope they found a large enough user base so other companies can take notices and can decide to jump on board. Business decisions will take time though, they will not buy on impulse.

Posted from my Surface 3 running W10

Just took my HP Elite X3 from the postman (arrived a day late). I will try to get some pics or maybe a video up for you guys. Feels rather...solid in the box. Interesting though, I have material here that says " ...when purchased in quantities of 5 or more save $49.99 per line item..." So I guess businesses get 250 bucks off when they buy 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon