Windows Default Lock Screen draining battery overnight, again.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing this and has nailed it down at all?

It's the default lock screen process, and it used 96% of my battery, even though it's set to "never run in the background", it took my phone from 92% to about 12%, overnight.
All the processing is listed as foreground, but it was all during the time it was suspended. I caught my phone this AM, just before it turned itself off, thinking I would have maybe 80%+, to start the day, but discovered I was basically at zero, awesome stuff.

I got it up to about 75%, mid-morning, before I took it off the charger, and then it immediately dipped back to 61%, with "messaging" as the culprit this time, although I had only received one (1) total messages in that timeframe, of about an hour.
Now it's back down in the mid-40's.

This is the second time it's happened, in-between my battery behavior was fine, which was about a 10 day period, all 14393.67...

Something is really wrong with 14393.67, and these sudden battery drains (I see others posting about the same, slightly different contexts).

The last time, I did a hard-reset, but this is getting a bit ridiculous, having to hard-reset every week or two, on the same (production) build, is a problem, if you ask me.
It would be one thing if everything just restored, but the last time, I had to re-install my apps, re-initialize my SD card, download all my maps again, fix a bunch of settings, the whole works, restore is very "partial", at this stage, unfortunately.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Off, both, right from the get-go.
I don't use either much anyway, might use hello more, if the battery were more consistent/reliable, heck I might use both more, I suppose.

I have phone, messaging(text), alarms/clock, and calendar/email (hourly updates), that's it, for my background processes.

All my start screen and other stuff is full disabled. Yet it managed to drain 94% of my battery, in the foreground, while the device was on standby, hmm...
I'd say something's way off, either in terms of what's "actually" running background, particularly in regards to the "default lock screen" process.
I get that there are other Windows processes running background, there have to be, on a device like this, but if you have all the standard stuff set to preserve your battery, then your "lock screen" shouldn't kill it overnight, no way, no how. Maybe, if this was mid RS, Fast-Ring, I'd be a lot more understanding, but these are "RTM" bits...
I don't expect perfection, but this is far, far from it. I think I'm getting a bit cynical, I left Win, towards the end of the Vista ship cycle, I was so disgusted, and I'm starting to feel a little like that now.

I really, really hope, that no one will review the current AU mobile release. The abysmally small user-base may save it there ;-]

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Off, both, right from the get-go.
I don't use either much anyway, might use hello more, if the battery were more consistent/reliable, heck I might use both more, I suppose.

I have phone, messaging(text), alarms/clock, and calendar/email (hourly updates), that's it, for my background processes.

All my start screen and other stuff is full disabled. Yet it managed to drain 94% of my battery, in the foreground, while the device was on standby, hmm...
I'd say something's way off, either in terms of what's "actually" running background, particularly in regards to the "default lock screen" process.
I get that there are other Windows processes running background, there have to be, on a device like this, but if you have all the standard stuff set to preserve your battery, then your "lock screen" shouldn't kill it overnight, no way, no how. Maybe, if this was mid RS, Fast-Ring, I'd be a lot more understanding, but these are "RTM" bits...
I don't expect perfection, but this is far, far from it. I think I'm getting a bit cynical, I left Win, towards the end of the Vista ship cycle, I was so disgusted, and I'm starting to feel a little like that now.

I really, really hope, that no one will review the current AU mobile release. The abysmally small user-base may save it there ;-]

do you have cortana pinned to start screen by any chance? Unpin it and check

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
do you have cortana pinned to start screen by any chance? Unpin it and check

I do have it pinned, always have, since my day1.

I use it constantly(probably 15+ times/day), I think will sort of "negate" it, if it's a unlock, swipe, search, select ?

Is it a known issue, it's getting background usage or something, by being on the Start screen?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I do have it pinned, always have, since my day1.

I use it constantly(probably 15+ times/day), I think will sort of "negate" it, if it's a unlock, swipe, search, select ?

Is it a known issue, it's getting background usage or something, by being on the Start screen?

What I know is several people reported getting much better performance after unpinning cortana from start screen :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon