Latest firmware... Fast Ring?

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
I read an article that said the latest firmware (from 10/24) should make its way to the fast ring, with camera and general speed improvements. But I am not so sure... does anyone have any info about this?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I read an article that said the latest firmware (from 10/24) should make its way to the fast ring, with camera and general speed improvements. But I am not so sure... does anyone have any info about this?

I just tweeted Jason Howard (@NorthFaceHiker aka works on Insider team) about this as I too do not have the new firmware on my Fast Ring device.

He's checking to see if it was "double-published", which he says would be needed.

So, you're not alone, and the right people are aware ;)

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The new firmware didn't show up on my phone but did show up with WDRT. Once J got the firmware installed, I had to reset my Windows Insiders back to Fast Ring. Then I4955 showed up and installed.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I am thinking about just using WDRT as well. I am contemplating whether I should keep the device so I'm eager to see how much better the camera experience is with this fw before my return window closes. I love the hardware but miss the camera on my Lumia 950 XL. I would like to keep this device and simply have my 950XL as a backup but I need to make sure I will have an acceptable shooter at the very least.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Dan, did your contact mention how long it might take to get published to insiders? In my opinion, this whole issue is well known by now and MS should be able to outline the necessary steps for the OEMs (and their own teams).

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Dan, did your contact mention how long it might take to get published to insiders? In my opinion, this whole issue is well known by now and MS should be able to outline the necessary steps for the OEMs (and their own teams).

I am going to take the plunge and do wdrt. The latest fast ring builds are pretty awful; no Cortana and constant hangs.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

No, but I'll inquire again as I still don't have it either.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Did we ever get clarity on the double-publishing question? I'm a FR participant running 15025, and Phone Update simply will not offer me the new 1/31/17 x3 firmware. I presume I can use WDRT to get the firmware at the price, once again, of simultaneously blowing the OS back to the stone age . That's what I have had to do with the last two (maybe three) FW updates, and it just makes me sick to have to go through the hours-long rebuilding process to get my phone working the way I want. Simple courtesy to the Insiders on whom Microsoft professes to rely would seem to demand a better way to get released firmware to all devices for which it is intended.

EDITED TO ADD: Never mind. I just found Dan's post from early December addressing this question. Looks like we are stuck with the OS rollback/FW install and subsequent OS reupdate process if we want to have both the current firmware and an Insider build on our phones. Or tablets, as HP calls the x3.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes