Periodic episode of constant reboots and significant battery drain

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
No, but HP confirmed there is a known issue with the size if the SIM tray. I recommend to call and have then send to out a replacement tray.

ScottM2753

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Well I just bought mine yesterday (December 21st, and it has already gone into the boot loop TWICE now, requiring a full reset with the button combo's both times. I'd tell you what build it is (latest standard update) but... I can't, it's resetting. I hope they fix this soon!

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
So has HP confirmed that the restarts/sd disappearing issue may be due to incorrect sim tray size? If so, they can just send out new sim trays and problem solved... I will contact them today and try to get a new tray sent out and let you know if this helped or not. Fingers crossed that it will, but being a windows phone user for some time, my inner everything tells me that the new sim tray wont solve a thing :(

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So has HP confirmed that the restarts/sd disappearing issue may be due to incorrect sim tray size? If so, they can just send out new sim trays and problem solved... I will contact them today and try to get a new tray sent out and let you know if this helped or not. Fingers crossed that it will, but being a windows phone user for some time, my inner everything tells me that the new sim tray wont solve a thing :(
Yes, HP did confirm there was an issue identified with the size of the SIM tray which caused the phone to reboot and issues with the microSD card. They are sending out replacements but you have to call or submit a support case on their website.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Just this morning, right before I went to work, I had the SD card disconnect again, and then phone went into reboot mode. I couldn't stop the reboots so I did a hard reset and installed fresh (first time was from backup). If this fresh install does not help and this continues I will be returning it and replacing. If the reboots continue with the new one, I will have to end up getting the idol phone. I can't not have a usable phone for my business... this is so annoying.

jim dickson

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
had this same problem of constant rebooting, thought i had tried everything and still could not fix it, i changed the case from the wallet one and have never had the problem since, are the others who are having this problem using the HP wallet case ?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
AAAAAnnnnddd here come the boot loops again.
Dammit!!!
I so want to love this phone. Should I get another replacement, or just go to tmobile and get the idol pro 4s?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
had this same problem of constant rebooting, thought i had tried everything and still could not fix it, i changed the case from the wallet one and have never had the problem since, are the others who are having this problem using the HP wallet case ?

I am using the incipio case. Had the wallet one on the first one without any issues... returned for a screen color issue.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
For anyone suffering the reboots, I would just call HP - get the replacement SIM tray, and if that doesn't work, get a replacement directly from HP.

For some reason, HP said they had already checked their inventory for the defective SIM trays, but they weren't sure devices on shelves (i.e., Microsoft store) were affected.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
For anyone suffering the reboots, I would just call HP - get the replacement SIM tray, and if that doesn't work, get a replacement directly from HP.

For some reason, HP said they had already checked their inventory for the defective SIM trays, but they weren't sure devices on shelves (i.e., Microsoft store) were affected.

Just had another bout of reboots. Took out the sd card completely and they stopped. Will leave the card out for a while and see if this helps. Calling HP now.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I am so mad right now. Reset the phone 3 days ago using WDRT. I only put in the sim, NO sd card...
Worked perfect for 3 days straight.

Today, I received the new tray HP sent me. I installed the new tray with the SD card. Restart loops. I put in a brand new Samsung sd card, empty and formatted... Reboot madness.

Tomorrow morning, heading to the MS store for a replacement. If the new one does the same thing, I am going with the alcatel.

Last edited:

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That's no good :(, maybe its more than just a tray issue? The replacement phone HP sent me last Friday is working well. I'm till on the production build and I have not had a single reboot or freeze in almost a week.

I honestly think getting a replacement device directly from HP is a better route, but maybe MS's stock is new! Best of luck!

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
That's no good :(, maybe its more than just a tray issue? The replacement phone HP sent me last Friday is working well. I'm till on the production build and I have not had a single reboot or freeze in almost a week.

I honestly think getting a replacement device directly from HP is a better route, but maybe MS's stock is new! Best of luck!

I just got back from a different MS store. Hopefully this is a better batch. I'll see. going through setup as new device... Fingers crossed that it's all good now.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok been using the new replacement x3 one for 2 days. Same BULLs.it! I am super frustrated. This HAS to be a software issue. There is no SD disconnects. There is just a freaking bout of reboots when an sd card is in it. Without sd card it may reboot a few times then normalize. With sd in, itll reboot 5-6 times, then work normal for a day or two, then do it again.

Anyone else experiencing this nonsense?

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I assume you are using the new SIM tray you received from HP with the replacement device? Hopefully you didn't return the replacement SIM tray and keep the potentially defective one!

I haven't looked but maybe we should se if there are different device HW revisions? My replacement device has now gone more than a week without a single reboot (I'm not using an SD card), so I'm feeling better with each day.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes I kept the new sim tray for the replacement phone. It reboots whether or not sd card is in it. (no longer displays sd card removed message randomly) For example, take out sd card... restart phone. Will reboot itself 5-10 times before finally becoming stable.

I wonder if a certain rogue app is causing this?

Maybe its time to reinstall the phone using wdrt and slowly install apps one by one to see which may be the culprit.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I guess that's a potential. What microSD card are you using? I can try putting my card back in to see how its working. I have a 200gb Sandisk card

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, I guess that's a potential. What microSD card are you using? I can try putting my card back in to see how its working. I have a 200gb Sandisk card

I did a fresh install using WDRT. After I installed Only the sim card. I thought the sim was not making contact (old sim been through a lot of phones) so I got a brand new sim card from tmobile. Still reboots. When I took the sim out completely, the phone would start ok and not reboot. Until about the 3rd time (I was installing apps one by one to exclude app causing this).

Eventually with no 3rd party apps installed, no sim, and no sd card in the phone at all, started going into a boot loop again. I am done.
I packed it up. I bought a new sealed 950 and dock off craigslist for $280 and am sticking with it for a while. At least until after CES. If nothing is announced at CES windows phone wise, I will be switching to the Alcatel Idol 4s. I am not going back to android or ios.

Thanks for all your help!

ScottM2753

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Mine was doing this same exact thing. Nothing seemed to help. Since I bought mine during the holiday sale I never was able to reach HP even though I submitted a ticket - no replies, no response on the chat, no follow up emails other than an automated reply wanting me to rate the "service I received" (zero).

I figured heck, gotta figure this one out on my own. The issue seemed to lie with the sd card, when it was mounted there was that blasted reboot loop, unmounted, worked fine, no issues.

So.... I realized the card had been formatted previously for an android (Galaxy S7) and had only undergone the 'quick format' when I first installed it on the phone. So I figured what the heck, it can't hurt. I formatted the card on my desktop using stock disk tools in fat32 with a 4096 buffer and UN-TICKED 'quick format'. Took a while to format, but once I installed the card, I am now going on day four (I think) with zero issues.

I don't know if that will help your situation, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Good luck! 👍

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Mine was doing this same exact thing. Nothing seemed to help. Since I bought mine during the holiday sale I never was able to reach HP even though I submitted a ticket - no replies, no response on the chat, no follow up emails other than an automated reply wanting me to rate the "service I received" (zero).

I figured heck, gotta figure this one out on my own. The issue seemed to lie with the sd card, when it was mounted there was that blasted reboot loop, unmounted, worked fine, no issues.

So.... I realized the card had been formatted previously for an android (Galaxy S7) and had only undergone the 'quick format' when I first installed it on the phone. So I figured what the heck, it can't hurt. I formatted the card on my desktop using stock disk tools in fat32 with a 4096 buffer and UN-TICKED 'quick format'. Took a while to format, but once I installed the card, I am now going on day four (I think) with zero issues.

I don't know if that will help your situation, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Good luck! 👍

Did you actually try to restart the phone and see what happens? I still have it... was going to return it tomorrow morning. I so want to keep it but I can't deal with the restarts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs