Should I Pick up a 650 on Sale?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Jeeze this is utterly ridiculous, their B2X site is f'd as well... IMEI comes backs as "out of warranty", click to continue but just get an endless spinning wheel, go to another page, fill in all required info and attach invoice, click submit/chat or what ever and get nothing but a blank stare, appears to dead-end right there. As well, get "Thanks, so-n-so! Would you like to start chatting with us now? w/"Great. Just click the button below and we’ll connect you to an expert right away.", what button!!! :angry:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well it's minus 14 in Calgary right now and I have my Lumia so I could go test this... but it's so cold :(

Highly doubt you'll have same problem, mine takes only 3-4 minutes before the display can't be turned back on which then needs a rewarming to function again... Temps weren't cold enough here I guess in the first 3 days of owning mine for it to become known.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been enjoying my new 650 that I purchased from the online Microsoft Store at 12:02 AM Thanksgiving morning! (It is currently out of stock online)

It updated without a problem
The screen is great,
The UI is smooth,
The camera seems fine and saves to Onedrive (after a varied period of time)
I am able to delete the timeline, if I want!!
The notifications work (settings for these are in TWO places)
The battery gets me through my day, easily
Yes, it creaks, but not as much as I do!
Asphalt 8 Airborne works well
Contacts synced to the phone from Onedrive with no issues!
I am giving my 640 to my grandson....

I would gladly buy another (I wish I had a white one), but the Microsoft Store is too far away-the $78 price is just ridiculous for such a neat phone.

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Highly doubt you'll have same problem, mine takes only 3-4 minutes before the display can't be turned back on which then needs a rewarming to function again... Temps weren't cold enough here I guess in the first 3 days of owning mine for it to become known.

Yeah took mine out in -15 weather and it was still just its sluggish ol self. Nothing really changed.

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have been enjoying my new 650 that I purchased from the online Microsoft Store at 12:02 AM Thanksgiving morning! (It is currently out of stock online)

It updated without a problem
The screen is great,
The UI is smooth,
The camera seems fine and saves to Onedrive (after a varied period of time)
I am able to delete the timeline, if I want!!
The notifications work (settings for these are in TWO places)
The battery gets me through my day, easily
Yes, it creaks, but not as much as I do!
Asphalt 8 Airborne works well
Contacts synced to the phone from Onedrive with no issues!
I am giving my 640 to my grandson....

I would gladly buy another (I wish I had a white one), but the Microsoft Store is too far away-the $78 price is just ridiculous for such a neat phone.

So I tried to add my little review this morning but I see it did not post so I will try again.

The screen, while good, isn't really that great. It might be software but the rendering makes everything seem very fuzzy. Put side by side with my OnePlus Xs 1080p AMOLED it's easy to see that it is not the best. For the price I'll take it though.

The battery is abysmal. I have both phones with me right now and my OPX that I am actually using with a SIM is at 74%. I've been texting, watched some youtube and listened to a podcast in the car. The Lumia wasnt even turned on until I got to the office and all I've done is check for app updates and its at 78%. Like that's not gonna make it a day.

The phone itself is also quite slow. I really wouldnt describe it as fast, smooth, or snappy. It's slower and more laggy than ANY android phone I've used in recent memory. I'm not sure how people think this phone is fast or pleasant at all. It's also buggy af.

The camera is alright. It punches above its weight for sure. Not a great camera by any means but at this price it could be a lot worse.

The design is also ok. Good to hold and very light. However the polycarbonate back feels and looks cheap. You can also press it in because there is a gap between it and the battery and I find this very annoying. Ordered a Mozo wood cover to rectify this.

Finally, it is a great phone for talking to other humans. The actual phoning of people is very good. I like the dialer UI on call display. The earpiece is also very loud and clear. This is the best part of the phone so far.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah took mine out in -15 weather and it was still just its sluggish ol self. Nothing really changed.

Yes mine has some slow moments but right now that's the least of my worries.

Trying to get the "out of warranty" thing sorted before I can make a claim but appears that there is a conflict due to where the phone came from (US) and where it ended up (Canada). All I know is that it was ordered off Microsoft Store.ca (saw and paid in CAD funds), and according to tracking details, came from California, had no control whatsoever what happened after they took my $$.

Last edited:

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes mine has some slow moments but right now that's the least of my worries.

Trying to get the "out of warrant" thing sorted before I can make a claim but appears that there is a conflict due to where the phone came from (US) and where it ended up (Canada). All I know is that it was ordered off Microsoft Store.ca (saw and paid in CAD funds), and according to tracking details, came from California, had no control whatsoever what happened after they took my $$.

Doesn't MS Store do free returns? Ship it back

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So I tried to add my little review this morning but I see it did not post so I will try again.

The screen, while good, isn't really that great. It might be software but the rendering makes everything seem very fuzzy. Put side by side with my OnePlus Xs 1080p AMOLED it's easy to see that it is not the best. For the price I'll take it though.

The battery is abysmal. I have both phones with me right now and my OPX that I am actually using with a SIM is at 74%. I've been texting, watched some youtube and listened to a podcast in the car. The Lumia wasnt even turned on until I got to the office and all I've done is check for app updates and its at 78%. Like that's not gonna make it a day.

The phone itself is also quite slow. I really wouldnt describe it as fast, smooth, or snappy. It's slower and more laggy than ANY android phone I've used in recent memory. I'm not sure how people think this phone is fast or pleasant at all. It's also buggy af.

The camera is alright. It punches above its weight for sure. Not a great camera by any means but at this price it could be a lot worse.

The design is also ok. Good to hold and very light. However the polycarbonate back feels and looks cheap. You can also press it in because there is a gap between it and the battery and I find this very annoying. Ordered a Mozo wood cover to rectify this.

Finally, it is a great phone for talking to other humans. The actual phoning of people is very good. I like the dialer UI on call display. The earpiece is also very loud and clear. This is the best part of the phone so far.

Don't consider my eyesight to be the greatest yet really enjoying the display, superior to my 830 me thinks... Was surprised to see the same screen flicker/flashing issue that's present on my 830, only the 650 appears to be much worse, phones are running builds .449 & .448 respectively.

A bit early for me to tell but battery appears to be doing quite well and better than I thought, went 17-18+ hours the second day fiddling with it like crazy setting it up, tweaking, etc, ended up w/40% (or there abouts) before putting it on charge. I noticed with both my Windows phones that the first 15-20% gets eatin' up quite fast then afterwards it seems to stabilize.

While it is no powerhouse it is a tad faster and more consistent than my 830, I blame the OS for them both being the way they are and I went in knowing we'd probably experience same or similar experiences between the two.

Actually impressed w/camera under daylight conditions, nigh time or darker situations not so much. There are some sacrifices since it doesn't come equipped with OIS.

The fit on my was good and if left naked, I'd be too light and a tad, shall we say, not the right fit for my hands, adorned it with an Otterbox Symmetry and now its perfect for me... Really do like the looks in its birthday suit but know that is not a good combo for my type of work.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's normally 30 days, but I think it is extended to 60 days from when you ordered. So if you're up to it, why not try it for like some more days to see if it's something you can tolerate?

Edit: nah, I would probably return it. When things annoy me, they really annoy me, especially if it's something that I know that not many are dealing with.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It's normally 30 days, but I think it is extended to 60 days from when you ordered. So if you're up to it, why not try it for like some more days to see if it's something you can tolerate?

I would love to keep using it but w/display blanked and not be able to get it back on, not able to do a dang thing until its warm. Maybe putting it in my pants pocket would help keep it warm enough but being a HD Mechanic and working at a U/G mine, well, if I wanted to kill it quickly that’d be one way LOL.

Just took it outside again naked and ambient air, within 3 minutes the display goes blank and cannot get it to come back on, hear notifications, vibrations when pressing back, home and search buttons in those areas, back in the house and it’s alive within 1-2 minutes and maybe sooner… Was acting a little more oddly this time, glance appeared to flicker on and off a couple of times, function keys and cell/wifi/battery icons lit up briefly, black screen only.

Never had one iota of a problem prior or at least nothing indicating this issue was pending, wasn’t until this morning which kind of stand to reason since today was our lowest temps since taking possession.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would love to keep using it but w/display blanked and not be able to get it back on, not able to do a dang thing until its warm. Maybe putting it in my pants pocket would help keep it warm enough but being a HD Mechanic and working at a U/G mine, well, if I wanted to kill it quickly that?d be one way LOL.

Just took it outside again naked and ambient air, within 3 minutes the display goes blank and cannot get it to come back on, hear notifications, vibrations when pressing back, home and search buttons in those areas, back in the house and it?s alive within 1-2 minutes and maybe sooner? Was acting a little more oddly this time, glance appeared to flicker on and off a couple of times, function keys and cell/wifi/battery icons lit up briefly, black screen only.

Never had one iota of a problem prior or at least nothing indicating this issue was pending, wasn?t until this morning which kind of stand to reason since today was our lowest temps since taking possession.
Wow. Yeah, it's time for it to go.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Yeah, it's time for it to go.

I'm sure we could just return it but then we'd loose out on the deal and all the accessories bought, my own doing of course, plus I'd like to have one just because "Mikey likes it" to a certain degree LOL.

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure we could just return it but then we'd loose out on the deal and all the accessories bought, my own doing of course, plus I'd like to have one just because "Mikey likes it" to a certain degree LOL.

I'm sure you could request an exchange. Can't imagine MSFT would try and screw you around with a defective phone. They should be honored we even considered purchasing the device in the first place.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure you could request an exchange. Can't imagine MSFT would try and screw you around with a defective phone. They should be honored we even considered purchasing the device in the first place.

Oh not saying there are trying to screw me, yet LOL. Support did say a manager would get a hold of me and make it right and something about "even make it better", maybe a sweet deal on a 950 hahaha, no harm in dreaming right :winktongue:.

Either way, prefer to have another 650 rather than none at all, kind of grew on me after 3+ days of owning :grin:

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Oh not saying there are trying to screw me, yet LOL. Support did say a manager would get a hold of me and make it right and something about "even make it better", maybe a sweet deal on a 950 hahaha, no harm in dreaming right :winktongue:.

Either way, prefer to have another 650 rather than none at all, kind of grew on me after 3+ days of owning :grin:

If they gave you a 950 that would be awesome. They must have lots around because they're giving them away for free. If that was the case I'm sure mine would also be defective haha.

I've thrown my SIM in mine and am going to try and use it full time for the rest of the week and see how I still feel about it.

Biggest problem right now is that notifications on Win 10 Mobile are garbage. Not sure how it is the way it is.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
If they gave you a 950 that would be awesome. They must have lots around because they're giving them away for free. If that was the case I'm sure mine would also be defective haha.

I've thrown my SIM in mine and am going to try and use it full time for the rest of the week and see how I still feel about it.

Biggest problem right now is that notifications on Win 10 Mobile are garbage. Not sure how it is the way it is.

So what's the issue with your notifications? Mine seems normal and same as what we're seeing on my 830.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes