beware: windows rt 8.1 preview has made my surface rt unusable

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
for some reason none of my email accounts work...i can get one to sync, but it won't send email and none of the others get pass the setup screen even though the exact same information works on my window 8 machine. fortunately this isn't my main machine, but you think even a preview would have basic email functionality. i've also tried uninstalling the email app and re-installing. no luck.

any advice? my advice is to stay away until the final product is ready.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm staying away until the final comes out. I love using my Surface too much to be frustrated at the inevitable little problems that arise.

That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in learning what's new and great, so I thank you for stepping up to the line on my behalf.... :D

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My Surface RT is my primary device and I threw my balls on the railroad tracks and gave it a shot with 8.1. I have had no problems, just the minor glitches here and there. Not sure why your email app is not working as mine is working just fine. I'd suggesting using Desktop Outlook for the time being.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My Surface RT is my primary device and I threw my balls on the railroad tracks and gave it a shot with 8.1. I have had no problems, just the minor glitches here and there. Not sure why your email app is not working as mine is working just fine. I'd suggesting using Desktop Outlook for the time being.

You threw your balls on the railroad tracks?? - Never heard that one before - Is that even possible?? :eek:rly:

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site

mail is working now, per my second post in this thread. unstalled and reinstalled mail three times before it started working. on the third install the messaging app appear out of nowhere, too. lots of folks reporting mail issue, too. i wasn't the only one experiencing problems. lots of report of missing the messaging app, too.

bluesman897

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
When you put your primary account in mail, there's a lag before you can add other accounts. You just have to wait while it does whatever its doing (my guess is some coordination is happening between the cloud and other connected apps like messaging, calendar and people). That lag is only experienced with the primary mail account.

JohnnyCanuck

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Had the mail problem as well. Fixed it by uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling.

The problem is that it keeps re-occurring on every boot. I lose mail sync, have to delete the app and reinstall. Anyone got a more permanent fix?

bluesman897

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
How long did you wait before calling it a fail? I own three Surfaces. I found waiting to be the appropriate solution each time. Starting over quite possibly resets whatever it is trying to do...

cybersaurusrex

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Installed W8.1 Preview on my Surface RT a couple of days ago, and everything was fine... until today. It won't turn on... at all. I tried charging it... but it still won't turn on. Not sure what happened. I'm trying to find an answer from Microsoft message boards. Otherwise, I'll have to take it to the Microsoft Store to be replaced.

I remember having a sort of similar problem with a Windows Phone in the past. The phone just wouldn't start... so I'd just leave it alone until the battery died... and then recharged it & it would work again. Not sure if it's the same thing with my Surface... but it's scary. I love my Surface RT!

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just had the same thing happen to me. I pressed the power button three times before I realized it wasn't turning on. Then I did a long press and it started.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Installed W8.1 Preview on my Surface RT a couple of days ago, and everything was fine... until today. It won't turn on... at all. I tried charging it... but it still won't turn on. Not sure what happened. I'm trying to find an answer from Microsoft message boards. Otherwise, I'll have to take it to the Microsoft Store to be replaced.

It miraculously just started. The battery is fully charged. No idea what happened. Just glad it's back!!! :)

Having the same problem. I'm leaving for a week-long trip, though, so I'm going to take it and hope that the same miracle happens to me. Otherwise, I'll try to restore when I get home, but I'm not sure how well that'll work when it won't boot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon