12-14-2014 03:24 PM
86 ... 234
tools
    I might be wrong about this, but I don't think that box has a continuous guide that allows you to record a series by name; you have to tell it what channel to record and the start and end times.
    You mean it's not like Windows Media Center where I can tell it to record all new episodes of How I Met Your Mother and it'll just figure out how to do it on it's own, I have to say, "record channel 13.1 Mondays from 7:00 to 7:30pm"? And you are talking about the Mediasonic's HomeWorX HW-150PVR someone else recommended, right? Do you have a different recommendation?

UPDATE:
    I did some research, reading Amazon.com reviews on the different HomeWorx set top boxes. There is a $39.99 one and a $45.99 one. The $39.99 one cannot work as well with the Xbox One's OneGuide as the $45.99 one can, so you have to be careful and make sure you get the right one:

I wanted to watch OTA TV via my XBox One and receiver, and this did the trick perfectly. I connected my HD antenna to this box, then used HDMI to connect to the XBox. I now watch my local channels through the XBox in surround sound via the receiver. The XBox isn't programmed to recognize this box, but that's no problem - just use the included remote to change channels as you would normally. Since my receiver and TV are both recognized by XBox, I can turn them on and off and change volume via XBox no problem
    I bought this thinking that it should provide a way to get my over-the-air (OTA) HD channels directly into my Xbox One through the HDMI connection. I was somewhat mistaken. the Xbox One does NOT currently recognize it. What this means: while you can watch TV through the TV app in Xbox One, you cannot change channels or power on/off the HW180STB box. You have to do this using the provided remote (and you need to get two AAA batteries for that as well an HDMI cord). The only other minor negative is the small red LED that indicates off or standby is incredibly bright.

I hope/suspect Microsoft will probably get drivers to recognize this in the future, but now it's just one large step toward being able to control OTA TV through the Xbox One. If I would do it again, I would recommend getting the only one that the Xbox One has information on in its system: the HW150PVR that is currently only $5 more HomeWorx HW-150PVR ATSC Digital TV Converter Box w/ Media Player & Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out

I purchased this device to run OTA channels through my Xbox One as a way to a) reduce the number of inputs and devices I have to manage and b) use Xbox one's other advantages like the OneGuide and multi-tasking (looking at NFL scores while watching a game, Watching TV in snap while playing a game, etc.).

This device does exactly what I expected. Easy to install, passed the HDMI cord directly into the XBOX and Voila!

I haven't tried the recording aspect of this yet, but so far for what my purchase intent was this thing has been great so far.

My Setup:
    Xbox One
    Home Worx 150
    Vizio 5.1 Audio system & Soundbar
    An Old Mohu Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna
    Vizio M_Series TV

Here are a few tips I have;

1) For the XBOX one;
    * as others have mentioned, choose "MediaSonic" After that, type in HW150, then it will give you the option to choose HW150PVR. Others mentioned a different code N[something], but that didn't work for me. Seems like the Xbox now knows about this unit.
    * In the Xbox settings, choose "send IR fast" as the default is super slow.
    * Make sure the HomeWorx unit is in a good place to get the IR blast so it doesn't mess up.
    * To get the best audio to your xbox, in the HomeWorx menus, choose "RAW HDMI Audio" which your xbox should alsp pass through and will work great with your TV & Sound System.

2) Assuming your TV can handle it, in the HomeWorx menu make sure you have 1080i selected as the output.

3) This device can pick-up all the channels you need, the key is to get a good antenna and move the antenna around a few times and see where this device picks up the most. By moving my Antenna and re-doing the auto-scan I was able to pick up an additional 5 channels, and I literarily only moved it a few inches.

My wish-list.
    1) I wish I could get my Vizio remote to control the channels on the HomeWorx box. That would make things even better
    2) The HomeWorx could/should provide a better channel guide. I don't need it right now since the Xbox does this fine for me, but assuming in the future I want to record with this, that would be much better.
    Perfect solution for the cordcutters dilemma, i.e. owing an XBOX One and not having cable (only having antenna TV). I received a box with V14 firmware; simple installation after hookup of the cords to their respective locations... setup Oneguide for local OTA Antenna listings first, then go ahead and setup XBOX One's set-top cable/satillite box to MediaSonic, manually set brand to 150PVR which will bring up the HWX150PVR and this will control your IR signals with no input code modifications needed. Once this is done - go to OneGuide and say watch TV (no need for any channel or station) and on the screen you will see the Mediasonic's native setup screen. Using the PVR's OWN REMOTE---go ahead and set it up so you allow it to tune and search for all the channels you can get over the air, and a word to the wise --- this can take up to 10 minutes. Once this is all done, go back to XBOX OneGuide, select a listing or channel you want to watch via voice command and voila - it works! It will take a few seconds from the IR blasters to communicate, but I found it no more annoying or troublesome than when I had crapcast cable's DVR box. As for my own setup, this box is to the left of my Xbox in a living room console and they are spaced about 6 inches apart. I haven't had any issues with receiving the IR from the XBOX to the box, and I have a very large living room. So long as you can wait a few seconds between changing channels, this is freakin' perfect for this application, we couldn't be happier! So long as you install this correctly - it will work. The setup is simple.... no remote codes needed.
    The infrared sensor on this box is terrible. You have to be pointing right at it to get it to work. It does work with the Xbox One (unfortunately the poor IR reception means it rarely ever sees the commands from the Kinect).
    Using these user reviews from Amazon.com as a guide plus this video linked early by dirtyvu, I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll update the thread later
    Last edited by coip; 12-11-2013 at 03:47 AM.
    12-10-2013 08:17 PM
    So first try at setup has not worked well. HTPC is plugged into HDMI in, then HDMI out from the 1 to TV. Power on and off works great with the 1 turning everything on and off but after going through the TV setup I get a Windows 8 logo when trying to access TV along with an intermittent lost connection warning. The setup process is straight forward but clearly this is going to require more work. Next try will be with an extender.
    12-12-2013 09:43 AM
    Can you not access Media center directly from XBOX One instead of having to use XBOX 360?
    12-12-2013 09:54 AM
    Just an update. I got the HomeWorx HW-150PVR today and followed the setup advice from my earlier post above. The video linked by dirtyvu, in particular, was great. Everything works: I am able to watch OTA free broadcast TV via my Xbox One's TV app, including using the OneGuide and the Kinect's voice commands to navigate (note that you can still use the HW-150-PVR remote to change channels, volume, etc. when you are in TV mode).

Some observations:
    1. there is a slight decrease in signal strength (and an even slighter decrease in picture quality) compared to when I had the antenna connected directly to my TV (as opposed to running through the HomeWorx box and the Xbox One), which is expected I guess since it's going through two more steps now. The signal strength drop is slightly noticeable (I lost one channel that I would only occasionally be able to get before), and another channel has some minor 'jumps'. I moved my digital antenna about 5 feet and now everything comes in perfectly.

2. the volume of the TV broadcast and the Xbox didn't initially match up due to the fact that the HomeWorx box has as separate volume control. So, if I watched TV and then switched to a game, the game was louder. If I turned it down and switched back to TV, I couldn't hear the TV. To fix this I adjusted the volume first on my TV (the volume that the Xbox uses; I'll call this the 'master' volume) and then adjusted it up on the HomeWorx box (which only the television broadcast uses; I'll call this the slave volume). Note that if you say "Xbox, volume up", it changes the master volume, not the slave volume. So it's better to set the slave volume once and then leave it, only adjusting the master volume from then on out so that the television broadcast and Xbox games match up, volume-wise.

Overall, I'm really excited to be using the Xbox's TV app to watch TV! It's so awesome to not have to switch back and forth between the two. Microsoft is definitely on to something here.
    Last edited by coip; 12-12-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    12-12-2013 10:42 PM
    Windows Media Center is truly amazing! I have a great setup with a Ceton cablecard with 4 tuners, so it works great as a DVR, Media Player, Movie Library, photo library, music library / player, etc...and I have 2 Xbox 360s just for extenders that give access to everything on the TVs they are connected to. I've eliminated the cable companies set top boxes and the monthly fees associated with the boxes and have a whole house connected Media Center!

Thank you, everyone for all the good XBox One information. I am going to wait until something comes along that incorporates better features for the whole house, than Windows Media Center.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 12-21-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    12-13-2013 12:14 AM
    Windows Media Center is truly amazing! I have a great setup with a Ceton cablecard with 4 tuners, so it works great as a DVR, Media Player, Movie Library, photo library, music library / player, etc....
    I agree but at the same time the direction MS is heading is the correct one. Why they haven't made integrating a Ceton tuner into the 1 easier is disappointing. Utilizing a 360 as an Extender connected to the 1 is also just a preposterous notion. WMC is a fantastic solution but moving forward is a good thing provided it does not require the utilization of crappy cableco provided hardware. I just won't go back there. Come on MS, either fix this by integrating network tuners into the 1guide or release a WMC app for the 1. The latter would be a worse solution but would at least not be a step backwards with new hardware.
    12-13-2013 08:21 AM
    I agree but at the same time the direction MS is heading is the correct one. Why they haven't made integrating a Ceton tuner into the 1 easier is disappointing. Utilizing a 360 as an Extender connected to the 1 is also just a preposterous notion. WMC is a fantastic solution but moving forward is a good thing provided it does not require the utilization of crappy cableco provided hardware. I just won't go back there. Come on MS, either fix this by integrating network tuners into the 1guide or release a WMC app for the 1. The latter would be a worse solution but would at least not be a step backwards with new hardware.
    I'd like the tuner/media functionality in the xbone as well, but I've realized that I'd have my 360 connected regardless since we still play 360 games. It auto-boots into media center and turns on and off with my xbone automatically as well. So the only downside really is needing to have a second device powered on, just like everyone else would be leaving their cable box on. So it's not bad, just not optimal. I doubt they'll do the tuner thing because that directly undermines cable companies who their trying to work closer with. The extender functionality would be the only thing they can do I bet, but why bother when so few are using media center? I think this is as good as it gets.
    12-13-2013 11:30 AM
    Just an FYI, but I came across the HW-150PVR on super discount here for only $33, $13 less than what I just paid for it on Amazon.com. Not sure if that site is legitimate, but it's worth looking into if you're sitting on the fence, $33 to use OneGuide is very worth it.
    12-14-2013 03:25 AM
    So, after the HTPC wouldn't work with the 1 and refusing to run a 360 through the 1 just to watch TV I brought one of our Linksys DMA2200's down, plugged it into the 1 and without changing a thing live HD TV in 1080p is playing. I haven't yet had a chance to see what works and what doesn't but... holy crap this is just fantastic as it was what I had hoped would work. Now I can move the HTPC away from the TV and simplify the setup. Kudos to the MS team for making this work. I formally apologize for taking so long to attempt the setup.

Update: I played around a little more today after clearing a foot of snow off the driveway and the DMA2200 works great with the 1guide and Kinect commands but ... I may gave to roll back from 8.1 to 7 due to stability issues with the Extender functionality. Connection drops are more common with 8.1than 7 which was flawless. 360's work great with MCE on 8.1 but given that these old boxes still work and MS won't release an App for the 1, which is just stupid, I may have no choice. Hey MS, App me or I'm rolling back. K?

So, no progress on this yet as I haven't had time to roll back BUT the TWCable app on 360 was just updated with support for live Network streaming which would be another acceptable workaround for this should the app ever get to the 1. Let's hope this happens soon.
    Last edited by fpostrow; 12-18-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    12-15-2013 02:18 PM
    Update to my update above. So, after doing a little more research and setting tweaks I have been able to get the DMA2200 running with much increased stability with Windows 8.1 on my HTPC. No more regular drops of the TV signal and very good interaction with the One via Kinect commands. Saying xBox Watch ESPN changes the channel, power on and off works for the entire setup. The one piece that is missing with 8.1 and the Extenders is access to recorded TV. I'll do some more tweaking to see if this is possible or if adding Hulu+ or just waiting for the TWC app to launch on the 1 is a better solution. Anyone else? The bottom line is I don't need to have the 360 running through the xBox 1 in order to integrate TV which is fantastic. Not perfect yet but very good.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    12-20-2013 08:43 AM
    I just recently attempted to use the HomeWorx HM150-SC to convert my cable (comes in over Coax cable) to HDMI. FYI, this doesn't work. And MediaSonic even posted this on its website.
    Very frustrating. If anyone has a suggestion about how to convert Coax to HDMI, I'm all ears.
    12-14-2014 03:24 PM
86 ... 234