How to Use Xbox One or PC as a TV DVR

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's a helpful thread as well:

View topic - XBox One & WMC Setup

That was an interesting thread to read, but it was also way over my head! I didn't know half of the stuff they were talking about. Here is what I want to do: connect my Windows Media Center-enabled Windows 7 PC, via a VGA-to-HDMI converter cable, to my Xbox One, and then use the Xbox One's TV feature to switch to the Windows 7 PC and watch live OTA TV via Windows Media Center. Ideally, I'd be able to control all of this via Xbox One's OneGuide and Kinect voice controls, but even if I could just use the basic commands "Xbox, watch TV", that would be cool. So, can I do that? From your previous post it seems that because Xbox One doesn't have an IR blaster that I can't do the former, but can do the latter. Right? I only ask instead of testing it myself because I'd have to go buy the VGA-to-HDMI converter.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had time to fully mess with it, but quick and dirty just plugging my 360 into the Xbone has worked just fine. Under devices you can even choose Xbox as your cable box.

Well shucks. Decisions on what to plug into that port are getting harder and harder.

The device arrives today. What to do what to do what to do what to do.......

I'm starting to think Microsoft should make a USB-powered splitter (gets its extra power boost from USB and also allows some control over it) that lets you select inputs over the Kinect. XD

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I now have my HTPC hooked up directly and it's working just fine. The IR blaster is fine, I confused myself when it wasn't working with my older media center remote that has been in a box for years, which I believe is just broken. During device setup under TV settings I chose Microsoft as the brand and then had it automatically send the power command. That put my HTCP to sleep and then woke it up again, so that verified the IR blaster worked. Before I manually typed in Windows Media Center and that may have set it up to use different IR blaster codes. I saved it and then unchecked the box in the other area that said to turn off my HTPC when I say Xbox Turn Off. I then configured the final part of my Harmony 300 universal remote to do Windows Media Center commands for when I want to mess with recordings or do things the speech doesn't cover, or just manually use the remote if there are serious noise issues (I have three kids). So to summarize:

• By saying Xbox On it turns on my TV and Samsung soundbar which is connected optically to the Xbone. My WMC HTPC is always running, recording TV shows, as before.
  • I can say Watch TV and it then shows the media center interface full screen, behind which is the usual PC desktop that I never use.
  • I can use OneGuide voice commands to fully channel surf as well as say play/pause/stop/ffwd/etc, and that uses IR blasting to pass through the commands.
  • I use my Harmony 300 universal remote configured as a windows media center remote for when I don't want to use voice or need to do DVR specific things.
  • When I say Xbox Turn Off it turns off my TV, soundbar, and the Xbone (standby).

Mission accomplished.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That was an interesting thread to read, but it was also way over my head! I didn't know half of the stuff they were talking about. Here is what I want to do: connect my Windows Media Center-enabled Windows 7 PC, via a VGA-to-HDMI converter cable, to my Xbox One, and then use the Xbox One's TV feature to switch to the Windows 7 PC and watch live OTA TV via Windows Media Center. Ideally, I'd be able to control all of this via Xbox One's OneGuide and Kinect voice controls, but even if I could just use the basic commands "Xbox, watch TV", that would be cool. So, can I do that? From your previous post it seems that because Xbox One doesn't have an IR blaster that I can't do the former, but can do the latter. Right? I only ask instead of testing it myself because I'd have to go buy the VGA-to-HDMI converter.

I meant to reply to this earlier, sorry. So if you don't have an IR blaster then basically all you get (which is still handy) is the ability to say "Watch TV" which will be just like switching TV inputs. All it will do is switch you to the pass-through TV and the only voice commands available to you are Xbone related only. The OneGuide will do nothing because any command you give it will go nowhere since you won't be using an IR blaster to send the commands on to the HTPC. You will have to continue using all the same control methods you used before. Mouse or keyboard or remote, etc.

However, you WILL be able to receive your Xbone alerts over the TV feed, you can still snap stuff to the side, you can still verbally switch to something else then switch back, so there is still a benefit if you want to be able to do those types of things. You will just not be able to voice control your TV at all (including auto-on and off) until you get an IR blaster.

Also since no audio will be coming through HDMI because you're talking about adapters, then you'll need speakers hooked up to your PC to provide that audio. I don't think the Xbone will care about that or give an error that audio is missing, but I can't honestly tell you that an HDMI adapter thing won't cause trouble with the Xbone. Good luck.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I meant to reply to this earlier, sorry. So if you don't have an IR blaster then basically all you get (which is still handy) is the ability to say "Watch TV" which will be just like switching TV inputs. All it will do is switch you to the pass-through TV and the only voice commands available to you are Xbone related only. The OneGuide will do nothing because any command you give it will go nowhere since you won't be using an IR blaster to send the commands on to the HTPC. You will have to continue using all the same control methods you used before. Mouse or keyboard or remote, etc.

However, you WILL be able to receive your Xbone alerts over the TV feed, you can still snap stuff to the side, you can still verbally switch to something else then switch back, so there is still a benefit if you want to be able to do those types of things. You will just not be able to voice control your TV at all (including auto-on and off) until you get an IR blaster.

Also since no audio will be coming through HDMI because you're talking about adapters, then you'll need speakers hooked up to your PC to provide that audio. I don't think the Xbone will care about that or give an error that audio is missing, but I can't honestly tell you that an HDMI adapter thing won't cause trouble with the Xbone. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the write-up. This sounds really promising, if not still a tad over my head. So, it seems I need to buy an IR blaster and a Harmony 300 universal remote to do Windows Media Center commands that the voice commands of Xbox One don't cover. Sorry to nag you again, but could you recommend an IR blaster (I want to make sure I can do what you're doing)? I have never really heard of an IR blaster before but I'll Bing it, see what they are, how they're used, and how they connect to Xbox One. I

Anyway, I'm very glad you provided us with all this information. I'm excited about this possibility of utilizing Xbox One's TV integration features using OTA free TV signals and WMC! Hooray! I will buy a VGA to HDMI converter for the video; and the audio I already have external speakers hooked up directly to my HTPC.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ehh, just get an app like Unified Remote, use the Xbox One to snap it, then control it with your smartphone. I personally watch everything on VLC (I don't do TV itself much), and the app has a VLC player remote, as well as a WMC one, I think.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the write-up. This sounds really promising, if not still a tad over my head. So, it seems I need to buy an IR blaster and a Harmony 300 universal remote to do Windows Media Center commands that the voice commands of Xbox One don't cover. Sorry to nag you again, but could you recommend an IR blaster (I want to make sure I can do what you're doing)? I have never really heard of an IR blaster before but I'll Bing it, see what they are, how they're used, and how they connect to Xbox One. I

Anyway, I'm very glad you provided us with all this information. I'm excited about this possibility of utilizing Xbox One's TV integration features using OTA free TV signals and WMC! Hooray! I will buy a VGA to HDMI converter for the video; and the audio I already have external speakers hooked up directly to my HTPC.

It's entirely possible that the Xbone will just not work with the converter, you might want to see if anyone else has done it or keep your receipt to return it if necessary.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Also I forgot to add you don't specifically need a harmony 300, that's just all I had to replace my broken windows media center remote. This is an example of one:

Amazon.com: Genuine Microsoft RC1534034/00, OVU400307/00 Remote Control Bundle By DELL, For Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, And Media Center Edition, Compatible Dell Part Number: KF659: Electronics

Thanks. Not to nag you again, but can you recommend an IR blaster? I just don't know anything about this stuff so I want to make sure I at least get the right products before I try to set it up.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's entirely possible that the Xbone will just not work with the converter, you might want to see if anyone else has done it or keep your receipt to return it if necessary.

I've done a little research online and it seems that there is no such thing as a VGA-to-HDMI converter cable. VGA is an analog signal and HDMI is digital, and there is no cable itself that can convert that, it seems. They VGA-to-HDMI converters out there are for advanced users who are working with PCs with some special graphics cards, it seems. If anyone knows better, though, do correct me!

This is disappointing. Microsoft should build into Xbox One a Windows Media Center-esque capability where I can use a cable-to-USB TV tuner and plug it directly into the Xbox One's USB ports and watch OTA televisioin broadcasts that way, utilizing the OneGuide. Come on Microsoft! That's it, I'm tweeting Major Nelson about it.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
here's Mediasonic's HomeWorX HW-150PVR working with Xbox One voice commands and OneGuide. It does have a built-in PVR (must supply own storage).

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
here's Mediasonic's HomeWorX HW-150PVR working with Xbox One voice commands and OneGuide. It does have a built-in PVR (must supply own storage).

Okay, this looks promising. So this guy purchased some device called a HomeWorX HW-150PVR, plugged in his OTA digital antenna cable into the box, then used HDMI to connect the box to the Xbox One, and then he was able to use the OneGuide to watch OTA TV on his Xbox using Kinect commands (or the controller)?! I want to do this. It looks like I can get one of those boxes for $40 to $50, but there are a few different models so I'm confused. Can you provide a couple of links to the correct products on Amazon so that I purchase the right one? Is there anything else I need to know?

Also, what's a PVR? Personal video recorder, I presume, but what's it used for? It's like a DVR (so I can record shows)? But you have to provide your own storage--so you'd just, what, plug a USB external storage drive into the box?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay, this looks promising. So this guy purchased some device called a HomeWorX HW-150PVR, plugged in his OTA digital antenna cable into the box, then used HDMI to connect the box to the Xbox One, and then he was able to use the OneGuide to watch OTA TV on his Xbox using Kinect commands (or the controller)?! I want to do this. It looks like I can get one of those boxes for $40 to $50, but there are a few different models so I'm confused. Can you provide a couple of links to the correct products on Amazon so that I purchase the right one? Is there anything else I need to know?

Also, what's a PVR? Personal video recorder, I presume, but what's it used for? It's like a DVR (so I can record shows)? But you have to provide your own storage--so you'd just, what, plug a USB external storage drive into the box?

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think that box has a continuous guide that allows you to record a series by name; you have to tell it what channel to record and the start and end times.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I might be wrong about this, but I don't think that box has a continuous guide that allows you to record a series by name; you have to tell it what channel to record and the start and end times.

You mean it's not like Windows Media Center where I can tell it to record all new episodes of How I Met Your Mother and it'll just figure out how to do it on it's own, I have to say, "record channel 13.1 Mondays from 7:00 to 7:30pm"? And you are talking about the Mediasonic's HomeWorX HW-150PVR someone else recommended, right? Do you have a different recommendation?

UPDATE:
I did some research, reading Amazon.com reviews on the different HomeWorx set top boxes. There is a $39.99 one and a $45.99 one. The $39.99 one cannot work as well with the Xbox One's OneGuide as the $45.99 one can, so you have to be careful and make sure you get the right one:
I wanted to watch OTA TV via my XBox One and receiver, and this did the trick perfectly. I connected my HD antenna to this box, then used HDMI to connect to the XBox. I now watch my local channels through the XBox in surround sound via the receiver. The XBox isn't programmed to recognize this box, but that's no problem - just use the included remote to change channels as you would normally. Since my receiver and TV are both recognized by XBox, I can turn them on and off and change volume via XBox no problem

I bought this thinking that it should provide a way to get my over-the-air (OTA) HD channels directly into my Xbox One through the HDMI connection. I was somewhat mistaken. the Xbox One does NOT currently recognize it. What this means: while you can watch TV through the TV app in Xbox One, you cannot change channels or power on/off the HW180STB box. You have to do this using the provided remote (and you need to get two AAA batteries for that as well an HDMI cord). The only other minor negative is the small red LED that indicates off or standby is incredibly bright.

I hope/suspect Microsoft will probably get drivers to recognize this in the future, but now it's just one large step toward being able to control OTA TV through the Xbox One. If I would do it again, I would recommend getting the only one that the Xbox One has information on in its system: the HW150PVR that is currently only $5 more HomeWorx HW-150PVR ATSC Digital TV Converter Box w/ Media Player & Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out

I purchased this device to run OTA channels through my Xbox One as a way to a) reduce the number of inputs and devices I have to manage and b) use Xbox one's other advantages like the OneGuide and multi-tasking (looking at NFL scores while watching a game, Watching TV in snap while playing a game, etc.).

This device does exactly what I expected. Easy to install, passed the HDMI cord directly into the XBOX and Voila!

I haven't tried the recording aspect of this yet, but so far for what my purchase intent was this thing has been great so far.

My Setup:
Xbox One
Home Worx 150
Vizio 5.1 Audio system & Soundbar
An Old Mohu Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna
Vizio M_Series TV

Here are a few tips I have;

1) For the XBOX one;
* as others have mentioned, choose "MediaSonic" After that, type in HW150, then it will give you the option to choose HW150PVR. Others mentioned a different code N[something], but that didn't work for me. Seems like the Xbox now knows about this unit.
* In the Xbox settings, choose "send IR fast" as the default is super slow.
* Make sure the HomeWorx unit is in a good place to get the IR blast so it doesn't mess up.
* To get the best audio to your xbox, in the HomeWorx menus, choose "RAW HDMI Audio" which your xbox should alsp pass through and will work great with your TV & Sound System.

2) Assuming your TV can handle it, in the HomeWorx menu make sure you have 1080i selected as the output.

3) This device can pick-up all the channels you need, the key is to get a good antenna and move the antenna around a few times and see where this device picks up the most. By moving my Antenna and re-doing the auto-scan I was able to pick up an additional 5 channels, and I literarily only moved it a few inches.

My wish-list.
1) I wish I could get my Vizio remote to control the channels on the HomeWorx box. That would make things even better
2) The HomeWorx could/should provide a better channel guide. I don't need it right now since the Xbox does this fine for me, but assuming in the future I want to record with this, that would be much better.

Perfect solution for the cordcutters dilemma, i.e. owing an XBOX One and not having cable (only having antenna TV). I received a box with V14 firmware; simple installation after hookup of the cords to their respective locations... setup Oneguide for local OTA Antenna listings first, then go ahead and setup XBOX One's set-top cable/satillite box to MediaSonic, manually set brand to 150PVR which will bring up the HWX150PVR and this will control your IR signals with no input code modifications needed. Once this is done - go to OneGuide and say watch TV (no need for any channel or station) and on the screen you will see the Mediasonic's native setup screen. Using the PVR's OWN REMOTE---go ahead and set it up so you allow it to tune and search for all the channels you can get over the air, and a word to the wise --- this can take up to 10 minutes. Once this is all done, go back to XBOX OneGuide, select a listing or channel you want to watch via voice command and voila - it works! It will take a few seconds from the IR blasters to communicate, but I found it no more annoying or troublesome than when I had crapcast cable's DVR box. As for my own setup, this box is to the left of my Xbox in a living room console and they are spaced about 6 inches apart. I haven't had any issues with receiving the IR from the XBOX to the box, and I have a very large living room. So long as you can wait a few seconds between changing channels, this is freakin' perfect for this application, we couldn't be happier! So long as you install this correctly - it will work. The setup is simple.... no remote codes needed.

The infrared sensor on this box is terrible. You have to be pointing right at it to get it to work. It does work with the Xbox One (unfortunately the poor IR reception means it rarely ever sees the commands from the Kinect).

Using these user reviews from Amazon.com as a guide plus this video linked early by dirtyvu, I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll update the thread later YouTube video

Last edited:

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So first try at setup has not worked well. HTPC is plugged into HDMI in, then HDMI out from the 1 to TV. Power on and off works great with the 1 turning everything on and off but after going through the TV setup I get a Windows 8 logo when trying to access TV along with an intermittent lost connection warning. The setup process is straight forward but clearly this is going to require more work. Next try will be with an extender.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Just an update. I got the HomeWorx HW-150PVR today and followed the setup advice from my earlier post above. The video linked by dirtyvu, in particular, was great. Everything works: I am able to watch OTA free broadcast TV via my Xbox One's TV app, including using the OneGuide and the Kinect's voice commands to navigate (note that you can still use the HW-150-PVR remote to change channels, volume, etc. when you are in TV mode).

Some observations:
1. there is a slight decrease in signal strength (and an even slighter decrease in picture quality) compared to when I had the antenna connected directly to my TV (as opposed to running through the HomeWorx box and the Xbox One), which is expected I guess since it's going through two more steps now. The signal strength drop is slightly noticeable (I lost one channel that I would only occasionally be able to get before), and another channel has some minor 'jumps'. I moved my digital antenna about 5 feet and now everything comes in perfectly.

2. the volume of the TV broadcast and the Xbox didn't initially match up due to the fact that the HomeWorx box has as separate volume control. So, if I watched TV and then switched to a game, the game was louder. If I turned it down and switched back to TV, I couldn't hear the TV. To fix this I adjusted the volume first on my TV (the volume that the Xbox uses; I'll call this the 'master' volume) and then adjusted it up on the HomeWorx box (which only the television broadcast uses; I'll call this the slave volume). Note that if you say "Xbox, volume up", it changes the master volume, not the slave volume. So it's better to set the slave volume once and then leave it, only adjusting the master volume from then on out so that the television broadcast and Xbox games match up, volume-wise.

Overall, I'm really excited to be using the Xbox's TV app to watch TV! It's so awesome to not have to switch back and forth between the two. Microsoft is definitely on to something here.

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Windows Media Center is truly amazing! I have a great setup with a Ceton cablecard with 4 tuners, so it works great as a DVR, Media Player, Movie Library, photo library, music library / player, etc...and I have 2 Xbox 360s just for extenders that give access to everything on the TVs they are connected to. I've eliminated the cable companies set top boxes and the monthly fees associated with the boxes and have a whole house connected Media Center!

Thank you, everyone for all the good XBox One information. I am going to wait until something comes along that incorporates better features for the whole house, than Windows Media Center.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb