11-07-2013 12:08 PM
178 12345 ...
tools
    Fact is that billions have been invested in this over the last 5 years+ the damn things arnty even out yet and ppl are shooting them down already LOL...compare xbox 360 and ps3 games to the ones that launched with the console - Time will sort it out. The fact is that BOTH Sony AND MS built their infrastructure based on DRM and now HAVE to throttle back as they rebuild their networks, again it will take time. the typical 'mines better than yours' is complete BS - both will be equally good based on todays technology HOWEVER.... if you want the best of the best then just buy a 10 grand PC - both PS4 (and 5/6 7 8 9) and Xbox One/Two/Three will never be able to compete - simples.

Heres a man with more experience than all of you talking about a subject we can only 'speculate' about - PS4 and Xbox One are almost identical according to Resident Evil creator | Games | Geek.com
    10-31-2013 05:05 PM
    I have a 1080p Computer screen, but only one person/family from my "closest people" actually have a full HD TV. Most have 720p TVs. Naturally that's no argument towards the actual problem, but at least around here 1080p TVs are definitely not in every house yet, they're still too expensive for most people who wouldn't even see the difference between the two :P
    The 720p vs 1080p issue isn't just about resolution. It's about the system's graphical abilities. So far, the PS4 is proving way, way more powerful than the XB1, far more than 360 vs PS3 and the resolution differences is one indication of that. 720 to 1080 is over 100% increase. So even if both have a multiplatform game at the same resolution, the PS4's per-pixel quality will be much better due to this if there is a true hardware limitation to the XB1.

As a fan of the 360, I'm fully willing to take MS to task for this and am willing to say they made a massive technical failure in the XB1 if their hardware is proving incapable compared to the same type of hardware at the same price. Give it a year for the platform to mature then we shall see.
    10-31-2013 05:16 PM
    So what your saying that is 1080p is now a standard that the Xbox One HAS TO SUPPORT OR ELSE?

I absolutely HATE people that think the way you do. There's a screw loose somewhere. If you can't survive without 720p, then by all means it might work out for us all. That will eliminate all the people who complain.
    That's just dumb to say. I have "a screw loose" if I ask that a console that costs $100 more than the competition to have comparable power? It's not just a simple matter of 720p or 1080p. If I'm expected to invest $500 and 10 years in this console, isn't it semi-reasonable to expect that it can handle 1080p? I mean, we're talking about keeping these things until 4K is probably commonplace in living rooms and 8K is starting to gain a little traction. If the hardware can't handle 1080p without extreme, first-party optimization, it's going to be a problem. It's not whether I'm concerned about 1080p now or not, it's how much longevity can be expected from these consoles if they can't handle old tech (1080p is standard for HDTVs now) at launch.
    10-31-2013 05:17 PM
    I have a 1080p Computer screen, but only one person/family from my "closest people" actually have a full HD TV. Most have 720p TVs. Naturally that's no argument towards the actual problem, but at least around here 1080p TVs are definitely not in every house yet, they're still too expensive for most people who wouldn't even see the difference between the two :P
    I agree on that. I use my TV at 1360x768 (just what my PC is defaulted to), but the issue is that this console's not something to upgrade/replace in a couple of years, when 1080p is super-affordable. We're supposed to keep these things for 10 years without upgrades to the hardware, and seeing as how people are pushing their high-end PCs beyond 1080p already, there's no way someone's going to accept the Xbox One at 720p when a smartphone is over 1080p in 2020.
    10-31-2013 05:23 PM
    I read some reports that the xbox drivers haven't be that stable and not pushing out updates to make them more stable for developers.

This could be another reason why there a difference is resolution.
    10-31-2013 05:26 PM
    The 720p vs 1080p issue isn't just about resolution. It's about the system's graphical abilities. So far, the PS4 is proving way, way more powerful than the XB1, far more than 360 vs PS3 and the resolution differences is one indication of that. 720 to 1080 is over 100% increase. So even if both have a multiplatform game at the same resolution, the PS4's per-pixel quality will be much better due to this if there is a true hardware limitation to the XB1.

As a fan of the 360, I'm fully willing to take MS to task for this and am willing to say they made a massive technical failure in the XB1 if their hardware is proving incapable compared to the same type of hardware at the same price. Give it a year for the platform to mature then we shall see.
    NOTHING has been proven - they are not even out yet lol and all the facts from people with hands on experience suggests they are comparable machines. The developers havnt had time to get to grips with the hardware hence the 720p instead of 1080 - it has NOTHING to do with the FACT that the Xbox is not powerful enough LOL - that's just a fantastical loony thing to think.
    10-31-2013 05:32 PM
    So far, the PS4 is proving way, way more powerful than the XB1, far more than 360 vs PS3 and the resolution differences is one indication of that. 720 to 1080 is over 100% increase.
    Whereby "so far" means "one game".
    10-31-2013 06:31 PM
    I heard that even though the X1 is in 720p, it is still actually nice. Some say, it even looks nicer than the PS4! Imagine how much better it would if it was real 1080p though...
    10-31-2013 06:37 PM
    This is sad, but not a deal breaker IMO
    10-31-2013 06:56 PM
    CoD sucks anyway.
    tumblr_inline_mnahcopfht1qz4rgp.gif
    gsquared and psudotechzealot like this.
    10-31-2013 07:06 PM
    I grew up during the SNES vs Genesis war, and while reading all of the extremely passionate diatribe across the internet regarding PS4 & Xbox One, I think that my feelings can be summed up in this image:

Isn't the average age for gamers around 30+ years old or something? This entire ordeal is such a turnoff from gaming.

Hardware upscaling from 720p to 1080p viewed on a 50" screen is no big deal to me. 480p hardware upscaled to 1080p looks surprisingly good. If the actual game graphics (poly count, texture map quality, lighting engine, material shaders, render quality) of the X1 can match the PS4, I'll live with non-native 1080p and enjoy the added benefits and features that the X1 offers.

A wild and unlikely thought: If it turns out that X1 is "crippled" from a hardware technical performance standpoint and sales are a disaster, with MS money in the bank, would they be willing to ship an upgraded console 6 months from now and give everyone who purchased an X1 a new console in order to remove all Xbox One's from the market so that Dev's wouldn't be tied down? It wouldn't be pretty from a financial standpoint, but could MS afford it if facing a no-win scenario with the current hardware?
    10-31-2013 08:00 PM
    this is pretty bad :(
    10-31-2013 08:03 PM
    "Oh, darn, I wanted to buy an Xbox but it doesn't run Call of Duty: Ghosts in 1080p" - said no average consumer

I think we all need to calm down for a second.
    10-31-2013 08:13 PM
    NOTHING has been proven - they are not even out yet lol and all the facts from people with hands on experience suggests they are comparable machines. The developers havnt had time to get to grips with the hardware hence the 720p instead of 1080 - it has NOTHING to do with the FACT that the Xbox is not powerful enough LOL - that's just a fantastical loony thing to think.
    Exactly, X1 has games that run 1080p. It's fully capable. But Devs haven't had the time to build for it.
    10-31-2013 08:32 PM
    Whereby "so far" means "one game".
    Battlefield and Call of Duty have shown to run at higher resolutions. Considering these are probably the top-two options on the consoles for the first year (unlikely you even see the next Halo or Titanfall outsell these two), it's a pretty darned big deal.
    10-31-2013 08:53 PM
    10-31-2013 09:26 PM
    I'll read the article a little later, but that graph tells me bad things. I'm within 8 feet of my 42" TV, so their graph says that 1080p is worth it. If that's the case, this matters even more.
    10-31-2013 10:15 PM
    Battlefield and Call of Duty have shown to run at higher resolutions. Considering these are probably the top-two options on the consoles for the first year (unlikely you even see the next Halo or Titanfall outsell these two), it's a pretty darned big deal.
    So far there is only one known game to be at 1080p/60 fps on XB1, Forza 5. And yes, COD and BF4 will be the top selling titles whether people think it's a good game or not. MS botched this, no question about it. For people who want to get an idea of why they're running at 720p, this is a recent article on the whole thing. The culprit might be the 32 MB ESRAM which might never allow XB1 to do 1080p/60 fps in most games at the same detail level as PS4. MS might have released gimped hardware. I'm not calling it yet, but it's looking more and more likely.

Xbox One Resolutiongate: the 720p fallout € Articles € Eurogamer.net
    10-31-2013 11:05 PM
    Yeah, I have a TCL 1080p tv. While it isn't the best tv, I would like content from my Xbox to play in 1080p. Next year, all content should be native in 4k. Yes, 4k. Of course, though, it would be compatible with 1080p and 720p devices.
    11-01-2013 12:05 AM
    4K will not be commonplace for probably 5 years or so, at least, not for homes. I wouldn't worry about that. If 4K was a serious concern, I think we'd see consoles dominating 1080p at launch without ANY frame rate drops, because it's unlikely we get great 4K output with the hardware we have.
    11-01-2013 12:25 AM
    This really shouldn't be a problem so long as it's not a recurring trend with Xbox One games. Because if PS4 versions of multiplatform games are graphically more advanced (at least on paper, anyways)--pair that with the XO's higher price tag in most regions--that'll start to push consumers towards the PS4. But I don't see this being the case.
    And I don't get how some people are saying you'll notice a difference on a larger display. Are you really sitting that close to your TV? For the most part, 720p doesn't look that different from 1080p to me on my TV. Actually, I tend to notice a difference only when gaming on a small TV or monitor since my face is physically closer to the screen.
    11-01-2013 12:55 AM
    4K will not be commonplace for probably 5 years or so, at least, not for homes. I wouldn't worry about that. If 4K was a serious concern, I think we'd see consoles dominating 1080p at launch without ANY frame rate drops, because it's unlikely we get great 4K output with the hardware we have.
    Like I said, native 4k. If it is too bad, or don't have a 4k TV, it will work fine on those as well. It doesn't hurt to have native 4k support.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    11-01-2013 01:37 AM
    Get it together Xbox division & Infinity Ward!
    11-01-2013 01:51 AM
    Battlefield
    If you're making the case of underpowered hardware, Battlefield runs at 900p on the PS4. As a PC gamer, the conclusion I would draw is not that the XB1 is terrible, but one of the following:

1. It's too early to make any definitive calls.
    2. Both consoles are terrible.

There's no "pretty darned big deal" when people have been staring at crappy 600p games and 720p broadcasts for the past decade. The new consoles render far more detailed worlds than the PS3 & 360, the visual jump will be there and will be satisfying – unless you're sitting too close to your screen, or for some reason have two TVs to compare them side-by-side. Even then, the fact that XB1's BF4 footage is even remotely comparable (let alone better, to some people's tastes) to the PS4's despite only having 64% of the native resolution tells you all you need to know.

Ultimately I'd have preferred both companies to have added $100 to their base cost and put that money directly to beefier GPUs.
    11-01-2013 02:11 AM
    This really shouldn't be a problem so long as it's not a recurring trend with Xbox One games. Because if PS4 versions of multiplatform games are graphically more advanced (at least on paper, anyways)--pair that with the XO's higher price tag in most regions--that'll start to push consumers towards the PS4. But I don't see this being the case.
    And I don't get how some people are saying you'll notice a difference on a larger display. Are you really sitting that close to your TV? For the most part, 720p doesn't look that different from 1080p to me on my TV. Actually, I tend to notice a difference only when gaming on a small TV or monitor since my face is physically closer to the screen.
    I seat about a few feet away from a 32 inch tv (1080p), so the more pixels for me the better.
    11-01-2013 03:33 AM
178 12345 ...