The Official "I got an Xbox One" thread

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
For Christmas I got the assassins creed bundle and the master chief collection. I love the Xbox one! I love the voice control abilities and the new interface.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I got the Assassins Creed bundle with Fifa 15, PVZ Garden Warfare and Forza. My daughter is happy because she now has the 360 all to herself

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Just bought mine last night! It's been awhile since I've had a game system - do most people download games these days? Or are the physical disks still the way to go?

The reason I ask is because it appears I only have around 320 GB to work with...do most people who download games delete them off the system when they are done?

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just bought mine last night! It's been awhile since I've had a game system - do most people download games these days? Or are the physical disks still the way to go?

The reason I ask is because it appears I only have around 320 GB to work with...do most people who download games delete them off the system when they are done?

Even if you have the physical disk, it installs to the hard drive anyway so it doesn't really matter whether you have the disk or do the download. There's various opinions on which is better. I think I prefer the download option, but have gotten some better deals getting the disk.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I got mine during the newegg sale from a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty awesome 🙆, still trying to figure everything out. I've never been a console person so it's all relatively new to me.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Even if you have the physical disk, it installs to the hard drive anyway so it doesn't really matter whether you have the disk or do the download. There's various opinions on which is better. I think I prefer the download option, but have gotten some better deals getting the disk.

Do you find yourself running into storage issues? Or do you just delete something from the hard drive when you don't think you are going to play a game for awhile?

EDIT: Ooooo External Hard Drives...don't I feel like a dumb dumb haha

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Quick question on streaming content...prior to the Xbox I had an Apple TV. I don't have cable so a few shows I rely on the mobile apps or full episodes available online. With Apple TV I would airplay the video from iPhone or Macbook and watch it on the Apple TV.

From what I have seen so far, this is not available on Xbox One. For example if I go to Travel Channel's website on my SP3 and select an episode of one of their shows, is there any way to stream that video to my Xbox One?

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Me before going to WalMart to buy an Xbox One yesterday: "Watch my luck, they'll lower the price tomorrow". Is there an award for being the unluckiest person on Windows Central?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you used it much? You may be able to get store credit when you return it and buy a new one, although the legality of that may be in question.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The XBOX One has Play To capability. I've been able to do that with a few things...

Quick question on streaming content...prior to the Xbox I had an Apple TV. I don't have cable so a few shows I rely on the mobile apps or full episodes available online. With Apple TV I would airplay the video from iPhone or Macbook and watch it on the Apple TV.

From what I have seen so far, this is not available on Xbox One. For example if I go to Travel Channel's website on my SP3 and select an episode of one of their shows, is there any way to stream that video to my Xbox One?

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Xbox one last night! My wife bought it for me for Valentine's! Haven't had much time with it so gonna check it out more this weekend. Super excited 😃

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm late to the party as is usual with consoles but I finally bought an Xbox One over the weekend. I picked up one of the refurbished units with Kinect for $399 at my local Best Buy. That and the $20 Xbox Live Gold offer they have this week made it a deal I couldn't pass on. My initial thoughts:

1) Kinect is nice but I'm glad I didn't pay the full $499 for it. Voice commands are nice but I'll probably use my controller more than voice control. The gestures are a neat gimmick but I can't see myself using them much. I tried to navigate for a while with them and ended up just grabbing my controller. The integrated Skype makes me wish I had some friends, though, or at least some family out of town who use Skype. I think video chat with the Kinect would be a blast.

2) I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Xbox One works with my Logitech Harmony One remote. It will be nice having a real remote to use during Blu-ray playback instead of fighting with the Xbox controller.

3) Setting up the Xbox to control my TV and AV receiver was quick and easy. I didn't even need to dig out codes; I just entered the manufacturer and it found my receiver (Yamaha) on the second try and my TV (Samsung) on the first.

4) I guess I'll have to do some research to learn how to customize my start screen. I couldn't figure out how to move or delete tiles.

5) I encountered an odd audio issue when playing a TV show through the Vudu app (for Ultraviolet content). The audio for the show is mono, but there was a noticeable echo to it as if I were hearing it in a big hall. It turns out some audio was coming out of my rear speakers. I don't know if the Xbox was actually forcing a surround signal or if my receiver were doing it. I selected the "Straight" audio option on my receiver and restarted the show and that fixed it. I hope I don't have to do that every time.

6) I am pleasantly surprised how quiet the unit is, even during Blu-ray playback. If the room is completely silent (a rarity in my house) I can barely hear it. I couldn't use my PS3 as a BD player because it is too loud, but I can see making the One my primary BD player, and I probably will. The only noise I heard while it was installing the initial updates was a slight ticking sound coming from the power brick. Is that normal?

7) One big disappointment so far is the lack of a way to give my daughter an account on the Xbox. Apparently you must have a valid email account before you can have an account on the Xbox, and I'm not too keen on setting up an email account for my 9 year old. There should be a way to create a child's account with no online access or buying privileges like you can on the Wii U. Xbox loses in the family-friendly category.

8 ) I installed the Smart Glass app on my Windows phone in hopes of having a keyboard to use for entering text on the Xbox One, but so far I haven't figured out how.

TLDR version: Happy with it overall with a few nitpicks.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I set up an account for my daughter and just made up an e-mail for it. It serves no other purpose than to be a microsoft account (heck, I even forgot what it actually is...). Once the account is made then you can setup the family account stuff that you wish.

You are using the Kinect a lot if you have your TV stuff setup through it ;). It needs the kinect to change the channels and such. The two most used voice commands in my house are 'XBOX On' and 'XBOX Turn Off'

You do get a keyboard with Smartglass. Once you select a text box on the xbox one (while smartglass is open) it'll then give you the keyboard to type in on your phone. Works pretty well. Especially for those long messages or annoying codes (when you don't receive a QR code version).

Welcome to the club! Enjoy!

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I set up an account for my daughter and just made up an e-mail for it. It serves no other purpose than to be a microsoft account (heck, I even forgot what it actually is...). Once the account is made then you can setup the family account stuff that you wish.

I did that yesterday, but the funny thing is when you create a Microsoft account on the Xbox they ask for a secondary account to prove your identity, so I needed yet another email address for my daughter. My solution was to enable the free email account from my ISP that I'd never used and enter that as her secondary.

Then they charged a $.50 "age verification fee" to my credit card to prove that a parent was setting up the child's account. After that went through I got the dreaded "Something went wrong" error and could not finish setting up her account. I had to leave the house at that point but came back a couple hours later and was able to finish it.

Setting up a child's account on the One is much more difficult than it should be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes