Rant: MS wanted to charge me ?500 for a replacement console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally, i think shouting at and being horrible to a customer service advisor because you don't like the company policy he has to work by or get fired, makes you a bad person.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Quite frankly they are taking the pish. Until MS get stores around the world like Apple they will be restricted. Best to deal with 3rd party suppliers like Game. I will never ever call MS CS as they have a loooong way to go.. The devices and services behemoth needs a bit more time to get it right, guess we are patient while they are transitioning and it's up to them to make it or break it. Btw I like your custom tables, you might get an order at some point when I move house :)

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Not many people are going to have ?500 sitting in their accounts to do this type of transaction, especially around xmas time. So I personally do see a big issue if this is how they are handling things.

It's not going to look good from a customer service point of perspective. I can see it being another PR disaster in the making.

I've heard this subject come up a lot recently, and I'm starting to think there's a misunderstanding about these replacements. The original means of doing things seems to still be available, and it was similar to how replacements were done on the 360. The "pay" version seems to just be a way to get the replacement faster, probably because of the time of year it is, and to make sure Microsoft doesn't get defrauded in the process. I think people might be making more out of this than it's worth.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Title is good enough to land you a job in The Verge's headline writing crew. If you want a replacement console before you send back your faulty one, you pay the deposit. If you don't want to pay, you do the usual and send back your faulty console, and they will ship a new one once they receive yours. This is industry standard practice.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Title is good enough to land you a job in The Verge's headline writing crew. If you want a replacement console before you send back your faulty one, you pay the deposit. If you don't want to pay, you do the usual and send back your faulty console, and they will ship a new one once they receive yours. This is industry standard practice.

Not really. You shouldn't have to front cash for them to send you a replacement device. Even if it's before you send it back. You can provide bank info, but you shouldn't actually be charged. It should just be like a pro-order, set up the charge, but it shouldn't hit your bank unless needed.

Nokia repair center did this for me after the sent me a broken replacement 920.

Microsoft can't afford to **** over customer's on a key device like this. And making the customer front ?500 for a device replacement (you actually spent less on) is a **** move.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've heard this subject come up a lot recently, and I'm starting to think there's a misunderstanding about these replacements. The original means of doing things seems to still be available, and it was similar to how replacements were done on the 360. The "pay" version seems to just be a way to get the replacement faster, probably because of the time of year it is, and to make sure Microsoft doesn't get defrauded in the process. I think people might be making more out of this than it's worth.

Setting up a charge or even a % deposit charge is one thing, making the customer front a charge more than they even bought the device for is bull****. Getting it fast, yes you may need to front a little bit, but 110% the original price is not reasonable.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Both the options were incorrect and not acceptable. Whether its a console or a toaster the same rules apply here in the UK when it comes to faulty goods. If something you buy is faulty an exact working replacement or full refund are the only two options you should be given. They offered neither.

Well, they did, didn't they? They just said they'd have to put a temporary charge on your bank account, or the free route woudl take a few weeks. They didn't offer an immediate replacement, but they did offer one free of charge.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've read all the reply comments, not going to bother commenting. Regardless what some of you may think, I think like a consumer and unfortunately a lot of us like getting the shaft and don't seem to care.

Here's the thing. Their rival, Sony, isn't charging or asking for a deposit for a replacement. Do you not see an issue?

The bad press is already out on the web and gaining speed. This bad PR and as it continues to grow I'm sure we'll start to see back peddling, maybe, depends on stubborn MS wants to be. You guys just don't get it. Lots of people are happy with their consoles, great but those who have to return them get this kind of treatment it won't sit well.

It's made me realise one thing though, I'll never buy direct from MS and I'll never buy a new release of theirs either. I'll buy at a store so I can return the thing without hassle.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Not really. You shouldn't have to front cash for them to send you a replacement device. Even if it's before you send it back. You can provide bank info, but you shouldn't actually be charged. It should just be like a pro-order, set up the charge, but it shouldn't hit your bank unless needed.

Nokia repair center did this for me after the sent me a broken replacement 920.

Microsoft can't afford to **** over customer's on a key device like this. And making the customer front ?500 for a device replacement (you actually spent less on) is a **** move.

Not sure, but the OP's title said "charge" the actual text did say "hold". This is why when I have to do this, as I work for another company with the same policy, I always say "Do you have a *credit* credit card, as in one that isn't tied to a bank. Much quicker to get your $ back, as banks can drag their feet when it comes to releasing the $. Also, taking his bank info wouldn't work, as he said he doesn't have room for the 500 as it's Christmas time. How could MSFT take the money should another customer not return it? Banks usually deny that. Returning it and getting a replacement was the best route for OP.

Tell you what, the next time I have to do something like this let me use your card. You don't seem to have an issue with a company holding onto whatever amount they want for whatever period of time. Sorry, but this happened to me once and I never went back to that company again as they conveniently 'forgot' to reimburse my card after the period of time they said they would hold it. Anytime I see this type of service now I refuse to deal with that company. If they're happy to take my money they can provide me service otherwise I'm not interested.

As for other services where this is the norm then you have to deal with it. This is a product. Not a car rental. I can understand a hold on funds with that situation.

As for the car comment, you obviously didn't read the OP, if I bought a new car I would expect it to get fixed immediately and have a temp car to use until such time it is fixed or replaced if it was defective. This is inline with the OP.

See the problem here is, people wonder why service is going down hill is because we all take crap from companies. You're assumed a criminal until they think you're not. Sorry, not the type of company I want to deal with. If I buy a new product and register it then go through the motions of determining it's defective with said company than I want a new one if its within the new period. If this is the way MS is going then I'm going to seriously think twice about any of their products. I was considering a Surface 2, now I'm not so sure.

The car is yet another completely different thing. They would have your faulty car in their "hands" as it were, so they wouldn't need to make sure you send it back to them. They "forgot" to reimburse, which sucks. But, they're liable for not doing it, unless they never returned it, what's their reason for "conveniently" forgetting? I'd be more inclined to say it was an actual accident, not a "convenient" one as they don't want to keep your money for it and lose you as a customer for that.

Basically, there isn't an easy way to judge if someone will send the original back. This seems like not as big an issue UK side, but if MSFT or any company had to selectively put holds based on credit or whatever, I can absolutely assure you in the US the race card would be played. Even with proof that an equal number of every race had the hold placed for the same reason. It's just easier to place it in general, not selectively. I honestly think you would be surprised how many people still don't return them with the hold (refute it with the bank/CC company), then I have to deal with a customer who bought the non-returned device on EBay/Craigslist and explain to them why it doesn't work.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So your complaining that your statutory rights and consumer rights were not impacted at all, that a company gave you three options, exchange instore, wait or pay deposit.

And you're mad as hell about that.

This is why i hate customers.

Piratelooksat40

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I love to read these comments. I wonder what they would come up with if it was their money and their company. Let's say you sold something on E-bay and the person you sold it to had a problem. Would you inherently trust them and send a replacement with no way to ensure you got the original? There is no way for Microsoft to determine if there really was a problem. I am not sure about in the UK, but in the US the XBOX One is tough to buy, so lots of people are working on scams(One guy paid $800 for a Picture of an Xbox One on Ebay).

I would love to hear how you would suggest they do it, to not only protect you, but to protect themselves(understand, they want to have Zero risk).

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So... the console wasn't even bricked?

Nope. Despite it not working on the Friday night or when running through all the options to get the console going with online support Saturday morning it would seem boxing it up and carrying it around for 30 minutes fixed it. I wouldn't recommend this option as a fix if anyone else gets the same problem though, the Xbox One is heavy.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I love to read these comments. I wonder what they would come up with if it was their money and their company. Let's say you sold something on E-bay and the person you sold it to had a problem. Would you inherently trust them and send a replacement with no way to ensure you got the original? There is no way for Microsoft to determine if there really was a problem. I am not sure about in the UK, but in the US the XBOX One is tough to buy, so lots of people are working on scams(One guy paid $800 for a Picture of an Xbox One on Ebay).

I would love to hear how you would suggest they do it, to not only protect you, but to protect themselves(understand, they want to have Zero risk).

Yeah and that kid lived in the UK and recently got given an Xbox one for free..

I mentioned before and in my original post why it couldn't be done the same as the 360 RROD. The courier came out gave me a new 360 checked the faulty 360 was in its box then went away. No money held or charged. 1 phone call, 1 courier less than 5 minute exchange total. Job done, happy customer. Why they have decided to make the process a lot longer is beyond me.

The fact still remains that the way MS wanted to do things would end up costing me ?1000 over the Christmas period ?500 for the hold and ?500 for two days off work waiting for couriers. Yes I get the first ?500 back some time in the New Year but that's no help to me.

As much as people are saying this is standard practice and an acceptable way of doing things you are entitled to your opinions. Im not accepting the way MS dealt with the situation as acceptable - I wouldn't be able to claim against MS for ?500 loss of earnings for a faulty product they provided me. I wouldn't have even been dealing with MS if my original call to the retailer hadn't said that all day one editions would have to go through MS for replacements.

As it turned out the retailer held up to what they were supposed to as entitled by UK law, MS didn't and that's what got me annoyed and got me ranting on here. Everything turned out fine in the end.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah and that kid lived in the UK and recently got given an Xbox one for free..

I mentioned before and in my original post why it couldn't be done the same as the 360 RROD. The courier came out gave me a new 360 checked the faulty 360 was in its box then went away. No money held or charged. 1 phone call, 1 courier less than 5 minute exchange total. Job done, happy customer. Why they have decided to make the process a lot longer is beyond me.

The fact still remains that the way MS wanted to do things would end up costing me ?1000 over the Christmas period ?500 for the hold and ?500 for two days off work waiting for couriers. Yes I get the first ?500 back some time in the New Year but that's no help to me.

As much as people are saying this is standard practice and an acceptable way of doing things you are entitled to your opinions. Im not accepting the way MS dealt with the situation as acceptable - I wouldn't be able to claim against MS for ?500 loss of earnings for a faulty product they provided me. I wouldn't have even been dealing with MS if my original call to the retailer hadn't said that all day one editions would have to go through MS for replacements.

As it turned out the retailer held up to what they were supposed to as entitled by UK law, MS didn't and that's what got me annoyed and got me ranting on here. Everything turned out fine in the end.

The difference was, they had someone pick it up. I'd also gather it would have been when the XB360 wasn't in limited stock either. They had the unit in hand, so it was more of an exchange in a store. If they only have mail-in, they need to be sure they get it. If they said you needed that to go to a MSFT Store to exchange, then I'd agree with you.

I think people read it more from the title, as MSFT didn't want to *charge* you ?500, they wanted to *hold* ?500 until they got their XB1 back. Your issue as you're stating it now, seems to be with them not having a currier service. I can't answer why they don't have that, but this current policy is pretty standard.

Edit: There wouldn't need to be a hold with them coming to you, the currier is insured against *him/her* stealing the XB360, that's far fewer people to insure against.

Edit Edit: Honestly, I think this seems to be a misconception on what the actual hold is for. That advisor said it in a terribly worded way. S/he accused *you*, which was wrong. Whenever I position it, I mention it as "Some people ruined it for everyone" which I think makes more sense.

Last edited:

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Setting up a charge or even a % deposit charge is one thing, making the customer front a charge more than they even bought the device for is bull****. Getting it fast, yes you may need to front a little bit, but 110% the original price is not reasonable.

And how do we know there aren't other factors in that price, such as shipping speed, local taxes, accessories, etc?

No matter how it is swung, the free option is still available. It's up to the individual user whether or not they want to go with it.

Heck, Microsoft once repaired a console my cat chewed the video wires on for free. I wasn't going to complain about waiting a couple weeks when they're nice enough to be that lenient on it.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It's an advance ship and they aren't actually charging you anything. They are putting a pre-authorization charge hold on those funds to make sure that you don't take the console and run.

Yes it does tie the funds up in a way that makes them non-usable, but MS doesn't actually get the money. It just sits being held (by the bank not MS) until MS releases the hold. This is standard industry procedure for anytime a company ships you something (especially an expensive something) in advance of you returning the defective item.

Can someone close this thread down for being deceptive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786