Why won't my Zune connect to my Windows10 desktop?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My Zune won't connect to my Windows10 desktop

I'm running Insider Preview build 10130 and just installed Zune software so I can sync my Zune80GB. The Zune app opens and loaded all my media, however, when I connect my Zune device via its cable it isn't connecting. Is there a driver update I need or a way to force Zune to connect?

I'll also add that the device shows that it is charging via the USB. Just not connecting.

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Pretty dissappointing this has no replies. Surely somebody at microsoft knows why this is the case. If its not gonna work just tell the public so they can move on. It would be a shame though windows 10 seems to work with every other technology company out there but struggles with its own.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Most Zune users know that Zune doesn't and will not work on Windows 10.

For recent Zune adopters, welcome, but Zune requires Windows Media Center which has not been part of Windows since Windows 8, although a $10 Media Pac can be purchased to run on top of Windows 8 Professional. I have that running on a Surface Pro 2.

My main computer is loaded and runs Windows 7; I'm likely to be running this for a long time because I need Windows Media Center to run Zune and my Xbox 360E as a media extender. Microsoft still helps me when I need support for any of these systems, on line, the phone, or at the MS stores. But, as with all technology/devices/gadgets, I do have to stay informed, and remain flexible and adaptable. Best of luck to all in finding ways to enjoy the music.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Most Zune users know that Zune doesn't and will not work on Windows 10.

For recent Zune adopters, welcome, but Zune requires Windows Media Center which has not been part of Windows since Windows 8, although a $10 Media Pac can be purchased to run on top of Windows 8 Professional. I have that running on a Surface Pro 2.

My main computer is loaded and runs Windows 7; I'm likely to be running this for a long time because I need Windows Media Center to run Zune and my Xbox 360E as a media extender. Microsoft still helps me when I need support for any of these systems, on line, the phone, or at the MS stores. But, as with all technology/devices/gadgets, I do have to stay informed, and remain flexible and adaptable. Best of luck to all in finding ways to enjoy the music.

I'm not sure why you are saying this. In my experience it's been the exact opposite.

Since when has the Zune required Media Center? I've never needed it. It does need the Zune software, however.

I don't know if it's a different case for the Zune HD, but my original Zune 30 GB is recognized by my PC running Windows 10 Pro and the Zune software. I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I doubt you'll ever see an update to the Zune software. Microsoft pretty much said they're done updating and supporting it. All we can do is hope that it continues to work, or find a way to get it working when it doesn't on our own.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I was wrong: sorry. I updated a Surface Pro 2 this week, and Zune was re-installed, including a desktop shortcut. I had denied the possibility because I was not able to run Zune on a/this new 8.1 SP2 until I added the $10 Media Center pack to yield the <Windows 8.1 with Media Center> version. Knowing (reading, hearing) that WMC would not be included with, nor available for W10, I'd expected that Zune would not run (again) on the upgraded-to-W10 SP2. I have not upgraded my PC (with 3-TV tuner device attached) because I use that to connect my Xbox 360E and relatively-big screen, and am not ready to risk losing that for now.

As it stands now, when I click on the Zune shortcut, and Zune launches and plays as under 8.1. I have not connected any of my Zune players yet. I have 32 and 64HDs, and an 80. I will try the 80 first, inspired by your experience. I did receive an email from Microsoft in the last couple of months, alerting me that my players would stop syncing my Music Pass music.

A last note for now is that November 15th was the "we will no longer support Zune subscriptions, or (sic) streaming either on the Zune device, Windows Phone 7, or Zune PC software" date, per an October 15th email. So, I'll see what, if anything, happens then, and just how wrong I've been. I do hope it is completely, or mostly so.

Enjoy the music, however you can get it. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes