Email sync settings - Download new content as items arrive

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How does this work exactly? Is this basically a continuous refresh (thus using more battery)?

Do you use this setting? If not, why not? If so, what is your battery like?

Thanks

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
How does this work exactly? Is this basically a continuous refresh (thus using more battery)?

Thanks

I had it turned on for my gmail account and my battery went from 60% to 20% in like 40 minutes. I have since left it off.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Don't do that. As I'm using the Mail app in Windows 8, the mail notification will pop up immediately after the server receive it. In other words, if someone send you an email, you will see the mail popup immediately. The thing about the mail app on Windows and Windows Phone is that they use push to get the mail. Basically they only pull the content of the mail without any details like headers, thus prevent the data leaking. However, this will consume the battery a lot. I suggest you keep those important inbox, like 2 or 3 mailboxes, for about 15-30 mins and those are not important for 1h to manually. That way you can maximize the battery life.

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't do that. As I'm using the Mail app in Windows 8, the mail notification will pop up immediately after the server receive it. In other words, if someone send you an email, you will see the mail popup immediately. The thing about the mail app on Windows and Windows Phone is that they use push to get the mail. Basically they only pull the content of the mail without any details like headers, thus prevent the data leaking. However, this will consume the battery a lot. I suggest you keep those important inbox, like 2 or 3 mailboxes, for about 15-30 mins and those are not important for 1h to manually. That way you can maximize the battery life.

If I get what you're saying, any sync setting will receive emails instantly (push). What differs is how much of the actual content in the email is downloaded?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon