920 bricked after reset, a 920 or WP8 problem?

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Again, not to get into pissing matches with individuals with superior knowledge who have trouble with basic punctuation and proper English grammar...for others who might find some value into my experiences, I have one more post to add here.

So, I got my NEW 1020 the other day. Happy dance. So now I have to return my 920, the one with the camera that won't focus, to AT&T. But before I ship off my phone with all my account setting, contacts and other personal data, I wanted to do a reset to wipe the phone.

Let me back up a bit here, because I found this interesting when you look at the whole story. The first thing I did when I got 920 #3 from AT&T two weeks ago was to set it up with my MS account and reload my apps. Then I immediately reset the phone just to be sure I didn't have any issues. I just wanted to test it to make sure I didn't run into any problem resetting the phone in the future. That reset took about 10 minutes. Once done, I setup the phone again, re installed my apps and went about "moving in" as I figured this would be my phone for a while. Soon after I started using it, I found the problem with the camera. I called up AT&T again, and long story short, they agreed to send me a 1020 instead. Then something interesting happened while I was waiting on the 1020...AT&T finally release the GDR2/Amber update. I went ahead and did the update to the 920. Everything went smooth and I played with the updated 920 for another day.

The next day my 1020 comes in, so I figured I'd better wipe the 920 before sending it back to AT&T. I offloaded the (crappy) photos that were on the phone, and deleted the few music files and podcasts that I had loaded, and hit the reset button. I watched the spinning gears start and went about my day. A little while later I checked back, still on the gears. Remember I had just reset this very phone a week earlier and it took 10 minutes. Of course I did update to GDR2 so yes, the software did change, and the other difference was this time I reset the phone after having pulled my SIM (now in the 1020). So I plugged in the phone to the factory wall charger and left it alone. Already having the working 1020 meant I didn't care how long it took. 24 hours later, the gears were still going. Nearly 30 hours later I went to check on the phone and the gears were gone, but it was displaying the battery charge icon instead. In other words, even on the factory wall charger, the phone battery had actually died while it was trying to finish the reset process I started a day and a half earlier. At this point I unplugged it and just let the battery die off completely. Again, since I'm sending this back, I really didn't care.

Just for kicks, this morning I plugged in the 920 just to see what would happen. After looking at the battery charge icon for a while, the spinning gears came back up. I left it alone for a few hours, and when I came back it was still on the gears. I figured I'd try the soft reset - volume down plus power button - the phone restarted and came back to the gears. I let it go a few minutes and then decided to do that other reset I read about - volume down plus power button, when the AT&T logo came up, I hit vol up, vol down, power and vol down. It came back to the gears and low and behold, the phone SOON after rebooted. This time it came up factory fresh, just in time for me to send it back.

I'm glad to be out of the 920 series - this was just too much drama. I can't believe that the phone went on for over 24 to 30 hours trying to reset itself, only to actually have the battery die off, even while plugged into the wall charger! I don't know if it's Nokia or MS, but that's just F****d up. I hope God doesn't strike me down for being an impatient, stupid, and just plain old "wrong" headed user! Maybe one day I can also get smart enough to post arrogant and demeaning messages on this forum!

But in the mean time, I'm hoping my 1020 will better behaved than my various 920s. Peace out.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
So your saying that gdr2 hangs like i said and it didnt brick like i said? I was giving suggestions as to removing data as it can affect it, but as a fix all no, my point that i tried to get across is 90% of the gears spinning complaints were not bricked just as yours wasnt , if it spins longer than a day at that point you should try and restart just not within the first day, and we wont know anything about 1020 till next year when new firmware comes out, i have gdr3 now on my 1020 but that is just a software update it is not the same as the gdr2 which reflashes your phone, but i have had zero problems with my 1020 since i got it, but it runs the same firmware as 920 but has twice the memory so if having more memory fixes the issue with the update then maybe it will do better. That being said the gdr3 update even though it wasnt a firmware update, had a progress bar on the update unlike the previous. But like i said before im' not sure if it will have it on the actual firmware update cause that is harder to implement, a bar on just a software update is easy to do. Either way 1020 is an awesome phone, i dont just like people like scooter coming in here bashing nokia one of the only corporations who listens to its customers and cares about quality when hes refusing to flash his phone when this actually used to be the norm not so many years ago and then saying every 920 is a piece of crap. Statements like that will get you arrogant demeaning responses from me. If hes dumb enough to say all 920 have a problem and is a "toy" phone then i'm arrogant enough to say hes too stupid to do a reset.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Amber update will fix the issue whereby doing a factory reset bricks the phone? I did this last week and had to take my phone to an AT&T Device Service center where they promptly replaced it. "We get 2-3 of these a week" the guy said, adding "I don't know why Nokia doesn't fix this." Maybe the Amber update does?

No, it doesn't fix it. Ask me how I know. :unhappy:

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So your saying that gdr2 hangs like i said and it didnt brick like i said? I was giving suggestions as to removing data as it can affect it, but as a fix all no, my point that i tried to get across is 90% of the gears spinning complaints were not bricked just as yours wasnt , if it spins longer than a day at that point you should try and restart just not within the first day, and we wont know anything about 1020 till next year when new firmware comes out, i have gdr3 now on my 1020 but that is just a software update it is not the same as the gdr2 which reflashes your phone, but i have had zero problems with my 1020 since i got it, but it runs the same firmware as 920 but has twice the memory so if having more memory fixes the issue with the update then maybe it will do better. That being said the gdr3 update even though it wasnt a firmware update, had a progress bar on the update unlike the previous. But like i said before im' not sure if it will have it on the actual firmware update cause that is harder to implement, a bar on just a software update is easy to do. Either way 1020 is an awesome phone, i dont just like people like scooter coming in here bashing nokia one of the only corporations who listens to its customers and cares about quality when hes refusing to flash his phone when this actually used to be the norm not so many years ago and then saying every 920 is a piece of crap. Statements like that will get you arrogant demeaning responses from me. If hes dumb enough to say all 920 have a problem and is a "toy" phone then i'm arrogant enough to say hes too stupid to do a reset.

Please get a job with Nokia/Microsoft and that way you can help people out with your knowledge instead of boring and demeaning people on here.

johnyvila

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Well.... I JUST did the reset and guess what?
BRICKED!!! Anyways... after ONE hour waiting I said to my self, something is wrong... so I searched the web and bring'd me here, I try for the first time the volume down + power, it turn off the device and I wait 30 minutes more with the spinning stupid things there, so I did it again but this time, I hold the volume down + power button until the device start spinning again, 30 seconds more, he restarted again and voila!. IT'S ALIVE!!! BTW is new, just 3 days out of the box...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv