App notifications not coming through

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
After doing a hard reset to solve the e-mail image problem, another problem occurred, when I went to Settings > System > Notifications & actions > 'Show notifications from these apps', nothing appeared. After a day or so, the apps started trickling back in (I think they actually had to try to push a notification in order to re-appear?) and seemed to work fine for a few days. Problem solved, right?

Now....

I don't seem to get notifications (specifically from Outlook Mail and Facebook). Both still show under the 'Show notifications from these apps' section, but I just flat out don't get the Banners, Sounds or Vibrations. When I 'wake' my phone with the power button, it will show x number of notifications in the 'quick status' at the bottom of the screen, however I never got the notification as a Banner, Sound or Vibration. (This means I'm not just Charlie Brown waiting for his Valentine's card at the mailbox.) Silent/night mode is disabled in Cortana and I get other notifications (Text messages, phone calls, etc).

Thoughts? Similar experiences?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My notifications have been very finicky. It took me ages to figure out how to assign custom text sounds to people and soon realized that certain notifications have multiple settings, and some of those override others which is usually what causes the problem.

Personally, I can't get any vibrate on new emails. I get vibrate on calls and texts but nothing for email and I have it turned on.

EDIT: Just noticed banners are turned on too but have never received one. I do get notifications of emails on the glance screen, tile and sound notification (I think).

Last edited:

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Seems like the email is working fine today. FB seems to be working intermittently after a reset. It's hard to tell if maybe I'm just missing my tones (I'm at work, so I keep it pretty low). But I never felt like I missed this many on my other phones. Hopefully it's me being hyper sensitive, but I'd have to say I think there's been several missed alerts I should have, and did not, receive.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on about 24hrs (longest so far in the last week) since my last reboot and I've noticed I'm not receiving Whatsapp or BBM notifications today. If I open the app, then the new message appears. I don't want to reboot my device because I'm trying to see how long I can go before needing to reboot it but I guess I spoke too soon.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Notifications are problems from the first build of 8.1. Maybe even before. They randomly stop working and that's it. After some time they start working. I've read something that problem is in MSFT servers, that apps send data to MSFT servers and then it sends it to phone.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not getting notifications for my text messages. Everything else is working normally, but I have to open up messages to check my texts. I've tried everything short of a hard reset (I've only had this phone a few days and hate having to go through the setup process again unless I have to!) Super frustrating.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
That's annoying. I'm almost contemplating my SECOND hard reset (in just over a week). This would be a new record for me.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
So I've discovered a couple things. Basically if you have an unread message (FB, Outlook or Text) you won't get another notification until they are all read for that application. So for example: I got a notification on FB on my phone. I read it on my desktop (I'm at work so that's slightly quicker) but I never 'cleared' that from my phone. I got several other FB notifications on my PC and the number on my phone grew, but didn't notify me. Rather annoying to say the least.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Like I said, if I totally clear all unread 'notifications' (for example go into the FB app and click on all the highlighted stuff) then they show up again. Outlook seems to be working ok all the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria