Can't install game due to lack of storage

marpadwpc

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

Yesterday I wanted to download N.O.V.A. 3 on my 8X. But I was unable, because it's said I have not enough storage. But I had enough...
Anyhow, I've deleted a few other unused games, photos to free up some storage. Now I have 3,44GB of free storage and the game still unable to install. The game itself is only 1018MB, so I don't understand this issue. It's pretty annoying! Do you guys have any tips? I've tried the Shrink Storage app too, it didn't help at all.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The installer file may be only 1018 MB but the space needed once it's been unpacked and installed will be much higher. Think of it as a .zip file. The only other thing you can do is to remove some more applications, photos and videos from the phone to free up enough space to be able to install the game.

marpadwpc

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
The most annoying thing is that I was able to make 4,98GB of free space. Then I was allowed to install the game. After the installation, I had 2,68GB of free space again... I was able to reinstall the uninstalled games, but of course I've lost all my saved games...

This is a really annoying solution...MS has to do something...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon Schmedeke

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
The most annoying thing is that I was able to make 4,98GB of free space. Then I was allowed to install the game. After the installation, I had 2,68GB of free space again... I was able to reinstall the uninstalled games, but of course I've lost all my saved games...

This is a really annoying solution...M$ has to do something...
I wouldn't really say its MS's fault, the same thing appears with Andriod and Apple app and games.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

This is a really annoying solution...M$ has to do something...

Because it needed to extract the download to a temp location, then install it to the install dir, which means it needed twice the space that the game takes up during the install, then it deleted the temp folder giving you back your 2GB+

marpadwpc

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Then this solution is not good. Why do we need file compression if it only allows you to download the app via wi-fi? And why can't M$ keep the installation files in the cloud? You have to use internet connection anyways... Install the game from the cloud, download the neccessary files only...

With this current method, you have to uninstall tons of apps to install a new one. And unfortunately, you lose all your saved content... Pretty annoying.

LEFTKOYL

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
The big annoying thing is that they selling mobiles with 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, etc. space and at the end the users have a little bit more from the middle of the space.
But we have pay for that GB of space that ours mobile has.
Marketing!!!

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
The big annoying thing is that they selling mobiles with 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, etc. space and at the end the users have a little bit more from the middle of the space.
But we have pay for that GB of space that ours mobile has.
Marketing!!!

If you buy a HDD from the shop that is 320GB, you still have to install the OS onto it and lose some space, same applies for WP

The drive is 8, 16, 32GB, but after WP OS is installed, and decimal converted to binary, the remaining space is what the user sees as available

The drive itself is the size advertised

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Then this solution is not good. Why do we need file compression if it only allows you to download the app via wi-fi? And why can't M$ keep the installation files in the cloud? You have to use internet connection anyways... Install the game from the cloud, download the neccessary files only...

With this current method, you have to uninstall tons of apps to install a new one. And unfortunately, you lose all your saved content... Pretty annoying.

Even installing from the cloud, it would still need to save the install files to a temp location, it can't install something that is not on the phone

If you put a flash drive in your PC with the installation files for a game all ready to be installed from the flash drive, when you click the setup button, it still copies them to temp on the PC during the install

It seems what you want is all games and programs to be portable versions where no installation is needed, just copied from MS servers to phone and job done

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz