Nokia No Better/Worse Than Other OEMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's Ativ S is proof that they ARE putting effort into WP8. Since it's basically the same hardware as the GS3 with a different (and more attractive) case, I'm not sure why you're suggesting they're putting in less effort than they did with the GS3.

Samsung's WP7 efforts were half-hearted, but given how the Apple v. Samsung case went (and Google leaving them floating in the breeze to defend Android cases on their own), I wouldn't be surprised if they shift more efforts to WP8 like they never did with WP7. The fact that they've now got a single name brand (Ativ) that they're using for smartphones, Windows RT tablets, and Windows 8 convertible tablets is promising.

How much stage time did they devote to the Ativ S Windows Phone 8 handset when they announced it?

Was it even 2 minutes?

It sure doesn't sound like they've changed their tune on Windows Phone yet.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
How much stage time did they devote to the Ativ S Windows Phone 8 handset when they announced it?

Was it even 2 minutes?

It sure doesn't sound like they've changed their tune on Windows Phone yet.
Hey, buddy... at least they mentioned it. As compared to how much publicity they gave the 2nd gen Focus devices (Flash, "S", and #2) that is already improvements.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Like Rene from iMore has been saying, us consumers shouldn't be the one fighting over our own personal preferences for a particular company/manufacturer. The companies should be the one fighting over us so we buy their product. They can do so by upping their game and start investing more in the platform.

I do agree that Nokia is no better/worse than other OEMs, but at least you see them trying. The fact is that they seem to be betting their company on WP, so they have to bring their A game.

Honestly if you were to ask me, i wouldn't buy any other WP at the moment other than the Lumia 800. Because i think they nailed the form factor and design for that. Does it mean that the phone is better? Probably not. Its just a preference. But you also can't argue that Nokia has been marketing the Lumia series of phones like ****. Even during IFA, they still did some sort of marketing for their own event.

I believe that the stronger the current, the more effort you have to put in to swim against it. Right now Samsung is just lying on a float, enjoying a nice cold beer, in the calm sea. Tiny robots are propelling them nicely along. Their main income comes from Android, and I don't blame them, as they are still a company with shareholders to please as well. But guess what, I do think that the Ativ S looks pretty darn good, other than the hideous physical button they still adamantly want on their phone. I think they'll definitely work harder, as they also make PCs as well, so it will be running windows 8.

I'm definitely open to trying other OEMs as well provided they up their game. But i honestly don't see bashing of other OEMs by Nokia lovers. At most we see the occasional, "Nokia is the only OEM pushing WP, when are the other OEMs going to up their game?" comment. I don't think that's bashing at all.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
hmmm.

2. Samsung is having HUGE problems with Android cause of APPLE right now . so Samsung will probably concentrate more on WP then Android. (had an article on this yesterday)

Wellllllll.....

Samsung is having huge problems with Apple right now - not Android. They are still the penultimate Android hardware guys and I don't see that trend changing. They'll appeal the lawsuit and the results won't be known until fairly far into the future I'd imagine.

Getting back to the discussion:
Like was mentioned here, I believe Samsung is merely hedging their bets with their involvement with WP - smart move for them to spread it around a bit instead of being an Android exclusive.

But in the end, Android will get the best of Samsung's love and I honestly think Windows Phone won't see Samsung's Android flagship equivalent.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's try this again. First, my apologies to anyone offended by my first post.
Anyways, the point I was making is that some of the Nokia enthusiasts seem to think Nokia is some Windows Phone savior, when in fact, it's just another OEM pushing it's product. Nokia didn't adopt the Windows Phone OS out of kindness to MS. It adopted the Windows Phone OS because it was DYING. Nokia had no choice, and it saw Windows Phone OS as it's only hope for survival. It was already too far behind other Android OEMs, so Windows Phone OS with the backing of MS was obviously the best choice for NOKIA. So I'm not sure why so many here treat Nokia as if they are a company that was leading the smartphone world and everything was amazing and successful with Symbian but just decided they wanted to support Windows Phone out of the goodness of their hearts.

They were leading the smartphone world when they announced the move to WP in Q1 2011. From that point on their sales fell of a cliff because of Elop's burning platform memo.

Q4 2010 Smartphone market share:

Nokia 28.3%
Apple 16.2%
RIM 14.2%
Samsung 10.5%

Q1 2011 Smartphone market share:

Nokia 24.2%
Apple 18.4%
RIM 14.5%
Samsung 12.6%

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm only going to respond to the original post here, because the discussion is way too long to wade through on a holiday weekend. All of you should have better things to do!! :p

So, here's the thing. I don't dispute any individual points you make in your argument, I merely state that your premise is wrong.

Calling Nokia a "savior" to Windows Phone is a stretch (and borderline blasphemy), but they most certainly are the most effective OEM Windows Phone has, and they most certainly DO have an innovative and effective strategy that is helping Windows Phone.

Necessity is the mother of all invention, and it's no different for Nokia. They NEED to survive as a business, and Microsoft NEEDS to survive in the mobile space. It makes sense that they invent their own means of survival and work cooperatively.

Nokia has promoted more, created more, developed more, and spent more on the platform than any other OEM, and why? Because the others were too involved with an Android love affair to bother wasting any resources. Understandable, but Nokia is the one that took a plunge, and it is paying off.

Now, we're in September 2012, and the others are reconsidering their positions. This is good, and as consumers we're better off for it. Yes, there's a lot of people here advocating for Nokia, and they should because of what I've said, BUT if Samsung and HTC are ready to "bring it" and declare "game on", that's awesome... you need only read the Samsung articles to find the Nokia faithful and the Nokia articles to find the Samsung faithful (go figure, right).

When the launch happens, you can guarantee that consumers win with lots of choices this holiday season. Vote with your wallets, and based on your usage preferences!

But as I would say with a political election... why bother trash talk the opposition? You're not going to change anyone's mind, and you're only going to tick people off and make them dig their heels in more.

Everyone and everything has faults and benefits... pros and cons are a part of life. Make an intelligent decision based on your approval of the pros!

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have never been a huge fan of Nokia... I don't understand all the enthusiasm... Nokia is cool... but seriously their recent phone were not so great... The Lumia 900? it looks like it's pregnant, sure the design is good, but I had a thinner phone in 2007...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I've only read the title of this thread so forgive me if I'm off with this, but... anyone who remembers things pre-Lumia, they will know that Nokia has given this platform a HUGE lift. Their marketing campaigns, the Lumia branding, and their exquisite hardware -to this day- makes other OEMs look weak.

Mods, you may, now, close this thread. :D

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've only read the title of this thread so forgive me if I'm off with this, but... anyone who remembers things pre-Lumia, they will know that Nokia has given this platform a HUGE lift. Their marketing campaigns, the Lumia branding, and their exquisite hardware -to this day- makes other OEMs look weak.

Mods, you may, now, close this thread. :D
Nokia is looking weak... I am not telling you it's not a good company, but hey Samsung is healthy, HTC is a little less healthy than samsung, Apple is doing great and Nokia nearly died this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeroyNoodle