Screen timeout "never"?

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Car tunes is a great app for music in the car. It keeps the screen on and lets you change track with a swipe left or right. You can swipe up to turn random on or off and down to go to a list of artists. You can also press on an artist or album name to change from all songs to just that album or artist and a two finger tap goes back to playing the entire music collection.
Thanks for the Cartunes suggestion. I was looking for app like this to replace my Fluxtunes on iOS. No customization but still works great.

prometheusdc

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a stupid and debilitating limitation. When I'm sitting at my desk listening to my music, plugged in, I shouldn't have to keep turning the stupid screen on. Ridiculous.

What about GPS? It's incredibly dangerous to have to keep turning on the phone just to use the stupid Nokia maps.

Of all the challenges of switching from the iPhone, this lock screen problem might actually be a dealbreaker.

Kory...

Nokia Lumia 920

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One way I partially get around this is to set the password time to 15 or 30 minutes. However, this is a bit of a security issue IMHO. I'd rather choose when to lock and then have the password be required right away.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Lots of apps can keep the screen on, thats open to developers, Microsoft should have allowed it for music when on a charger.

jpnl

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I finally found a topic where the missing "never lock" option is being discussed. Unfortunately no solution though :(

The missing "Never" option is definitely not phone model, carrier based and it is also not related to the regional or language setting.
Me and my friend have the exact same Nokia Lumia 800 (WP 7.5). We bought it together at the same time in the same store with the same subscription and the same regional or language setting. My friend does have the "Never" option while I don't have it (I only have 30sec and 1, 3 and 5 minutes). I don't know if I have ever had that option, but there are two possible causes I can think of:

1. I have a password enabled in the "lock+wallpaper" screen while my friend doesn't. It's kind of logical not being able to set the screen lock to never when you require a password. However, I still don't get the "never" option when I remove the password. Maybe you just loose the "never" option after you have enabled the password once. If my friend would let me I would test this out on his phone...
  2. We have different apps installed, so it might be possible there is an app that has caused the "never" option gone missing.

Any thoughts on this?

shalgrim

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody here know if I unlock my phone as a developer (but keep using ATT as provider) if I'll get the "never" option back? I don't want to burn a device unlock if I don't have to. But I will if I can get the never timeout option back.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody here know if I unlock my phone as a developer (but keep using ATT as provider) if I'll get the "never" option back? I don't want to burn a device unlock if I don't have to. But I will if I can get the never timeout option back.
I second this motion :) Or if that Car Tunes5 app allows for the screen to not timeout, then maybe an app can be created to turn off timeout (for those that do not have 'never' in their options)???

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I finally found a topic where the missing "never lock" option is being discussed. Unfortunately no solution though :(

The missing "Never" option is definitely not phone model, carrier based and it is also not related to the regional or language setting.
Me and my friend have the exact same Nokia Lumia 800 (WP 7.5). We bought it together at the same time in the same store with the same subscription and the same regional or language setting. My friend does have the "Never" option while I don't have it (I only have 30sec and 1, 3 and 5 minutes). I don't know if I have ever had that option, but there are two possible causes I can think of:

1. I have a password enabled in the "lock+wallpaper" screen while my friend doesn't. It's kind of logical not being able to set the screen lock to never when you require a password. However, I still don't get the "never" option when I remove the password. Maybe you just loose the "never" option after you have enabled the password once. If my friend would let me I would test this out on his phone...
  2. We have different apps installed, so it might be possible there is an app that has caused the "never" option gone missing.

Any thoughts on this?

1: I have a password-locked EE-locked Lumia 920. Never option = available.
2: Do developers have such deep access that they can remove the never option?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like an AT&T thing, just like the inability to turn off LTE Battery Decimator™. AT&T seems to have a "If we can disable it, we will disable it" policy, probably to cut down on the traffic to their call centers. My AT&T 920 doesn't have the Never option, so when it comes time to retire it and turn it into a dedicated media player, I hope I'll be able to flash a fully unlocked firmware on it.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like an AT&T thing, just like the inability to turn off LTE Battery Decimator™. AT&T seems to have a "If we can disable it, we will disable it" policy, probably to cut down on the traffic to their call centers. My AT&T 920 doesn't have the Never option, so when it comes time to retire it and turn it into a dedicated media player, I hope I'll be able to flash a fully unlocked firmware on it.

If it's a carrier thing then the carrier's are 'enabling' the never option, rather than disabling it. I have a Nokia 620 with generic Nokia firmware and don't have a never option.

shalgrim

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I figured out a way around this on my phone. I have another 920 that I got from BUILD. It has the 'never' option. So I reset my AT&T 920 and then when it was setting up I told it to take the settings from my BUILD phone. Now as long as I never adjust the time-out option or add a password, it will stay on 'never'. It was annoying to have to re-install all my apps and adjust all my settings and set up my music again, but I think it was worth it. It was super annoying to have to unlock my phone every five minutes.

Obviously not a solution that will work for everybody.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I have 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes and never options on my HTC 8x (UK EE). Never realised other phones didn't have all these options. Used 'never' a few times, don't really understand why 30 minutes is necessary though...

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My locked AT&T 8x has never option and my unbranded Nokia L920 dev phone (from BUILD 2012) only has up to 30 minutes. So, there is no reasoning or who to blame. Seems very random. Seems to be based on both manufacture and carrier.

I can understand why Nokia tends to remove 'Never' option because some of its phones still use AMOLED screen which are prone to screen burn in if you let it on for long time. Both Nokia Lumia 900 and the new 820 are AMOLED screens. But 920 is LCD, they should have kept never option.

shalgrim

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I figured out a way around this on my phone. I have another 920 that I got from BUILD. It has the 'never' option. So I reset my AT&T 920 and then when it was setting up I told it to take the settings from my BUILD phone. Now as long as I never adjust the time-out option or add a password, it will stay on 'never'.

Never mind, this goes back to the limits AT&T puts on it as soon as you restart the phone the next time. FML.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di