What is missing in Windows 10 Mobile version of Outlook?

wolf_clan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I ask because I've never owned a windows phone but I'm looking to take the plunge. Fact is, I've never even owned an iPhone or an Android device either. I've only used blackberry (some old BBOS devices as well as my current phone - a z10) and before that......a Palm Treo. Yeah, I leave a platform kicking and screaming :)
Anyway, I keep hearing that Outlook (calendar & mail) on ios and droid are "better" (more feature rich?) than on Windows and I'd love to get the lowdown on what is lacking. I've pretty much decided on a Windows 10 device regardless (mostly an issue of timing & when to pull the trigger) but I'd love some insight as to the current shortfalls of Windows 10 mobile as it particularly pertains to calendar and mail on the the phone.
Would really appreciate some insight so, thanks in advance!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got an iphone 6s plus in jan. Had windows phone for years before that. I actually like outlook in windows more than iphone. Contacts sync better. The whole contacts management is better on windows. imessage is horrible. Its been a big adjustment to say the least. And as for calendar, using outlook.com and office 365 as my main accounts, the icloud calendars are in the way and unnecessary. If you want your calendars to integrate with siri to plan events and any meetings you have to use the built in calendar. The outlook calendar does not work with her. They sync up, but you need to setup your accounts twice.

But hey, i finally got my bank app. Just not sure if its really worth it. I miss windows. But with the lack of any real devices.... Im gonna sit here until i see a worthy device to get.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The risk with Windows 10 and Outlook is that OS updates may cause Outlook and the calendar to crash.
This happened with the last Windows OS push.
There was an immediate update for Outlook and the calendar that helped to fix it however.
Outlook under 10 functions well except for the render bug with html content in e-mails which is very annoying.
The calendar works however it's confusing interface is no fun in my opinion.
Anyway welcome on board.

Sent from mTalk

wolf_clan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
You say the risk of Windows 10 is that the OS updates may cause Outlook and the calendar to crash. is this on public builds or insider rings?
I've heard about the render bug for emails. That is disappointing.

wolf_clan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Side tangent:
- Just wondering why my replies to those who posted to my original question did not show up under their posts (as a reply to a reply)? I clicked on the reply button under each post but my replies look like they're simply a comment on this general thread. Am I doing something wrong?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Side tangent:
- Just wondering why my replies to those who posted to my original question did not show up under their posts (as a reply to a reply)? I clicked on the reply button under each post but my replies look like they're simply a comment on this general thread. Am I doing something wrong?

No, you're not. Vbulletin just has a flat thread view - if you want to reply "to" a particular post, just use the "Quote" button like I did just here.

One thing that Outlook on Windows 10 Mobile doesn't sync is Tasks. If you're a heavy user of ToDo lists, you'll need another app for that. This has been the case for many years now; I think because not many consumer users use this feature.

wolf_clan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
No, you're not. Vbulletin just has a flat thread view - if you want to reply "to" a particular post, just use the "Quote" button like I did just here.

One thing that Outlook on Windows 10 Mobile doesn't sync is Tasks. If you're a heavy user of ToDo lists, you'll need another app for that. This has been the case for many years now; I think because not many consumer users use this feature.

In regards to the "quote" tip.........Thanks!

I've heard about the lack of Tasks integration. That kind of sucks. Is this lacking on android and iphone as well? Any hope/rumour of it being implemented at a later date in windows mobile? I use Outlook 2016 on my laptop consistently - have been using Outlook for desktop for years - and have always used the tasks function. Not only that but I really enjoy the customization options that come with Outlook 2016. I have specific colours for all my various work & personal related tasks/emails/appointments. I think that the calendar on windows mobile only has differing colour to indicate different accounts? I'm willing to continue to deal with that on a phone but it'll be hard to give up my colour customization that I get with Outlook 2016. I suppose I can continue to use Outlook 2016 on my laptop (and eventually a surface pro, at some point) but, I'm really not interested in managing 2 todo lists (phone and laptop). Any thoughts on the best solution to handle both work and personal "todos" that syncs well between phone and laptop?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I also use categorisation in my desktop version of Outlook for work (different colours for whether an email is directly to me or I'm on the CC list). This doesn't sync to my phone and to be honest it's never really been an issue.

I only ever tasks in my Outlook as a form of bookmarking emails I need to refer back to or for later followup. These appear as flagged emails on my phone, but most of them are older than the oldest email I sync to the phone (I only sync two weeks, but I can search Exchange for older if I need to).

But this is my own usage example and I can appreciate that you (and many other people) use Desktop Outlook in very different ways (one of the joys of how flexible a product it is).

But in summary, there's no visibility of categories, and no tasks. Neither have been important enough for me to investigate what apps can support them (assuming I wished to share my corporate Exchange credentials with a third party app).

wolf_clan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I only ever tasks in my Outlook as a form of bookmarking emails I need to refer back to or for later followup. These appear as flagged emails on my phone,

I certainly like using tasks this way as well and will continue to do so moving forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen