Not SIM Unlocked

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They don't do it because they're a "conglomerate with a heart" (shout out to Johnny Carson). The FCC requires them as part of an arrangement for VZW to acquire spectrum a few years ago. But while other carriers are more of a pain to unlock, they leave APN settings open for editing. Verizon locks them out requiring owners to edit registries or rooting. It's really a moot point in the US since President Obama signed the law wiping out the DMCA.

I said that tongue-in-cheek, expecting a response like this. :eek:rly: A Windows Phone fan would not be a true-blue Windows Phone fan without a healthy dose of Verizon hatred.

Part of the problem is that, according to our esteemed editor-in-chief Daniel Rubino, Microsoft does not have the expertise to make a CDMA phone. So there's that.

But yes you are at least partially correct about the APNs. However, the lack of ability to create APNs for other carriers on a Verizon branded device is unique to Windows Phone. Verizon's iPhones are exactly the same as the factory unlocked iPhones, meaning that no APN creation is necessary. And on Verizon branded Android devices you most certainly can create APNs for other carriers.

Except that they then hink around in the firmware and play hide the MMS APN. :winktongue:

True. But see above...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
A Windows Phone fan would not be a true-blue Windows Phone fan without a healthy dose of Verizon hatred
Oh I don't hate Verizon. I don't agree with all their business practices but in the end, their decision to grab some of that coveted low-end spectrum slightly ahead of the others was a boon to us consumers, especially for WinPho users. Without having to pay their exorbitant rates, those of us on GSM carriers were able to experience the Icon without getting the huge 1520. The Ativ SE (one of my personal all-time fave WP devices) became available to us as well as the M8 even though other carriers eventually picked it up.

You're right that some, not all, VZW Androids have APN editing available. However, many of these same Androids can't get Mobile Hotspot working because the newer phones either don't have unlockable bootloaders or there are no custom recoveries available and thus, no rooting. With Windows, a simple reg edit to remove the "Entitlement Required" setting gets you Internet Sharing.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Touch?. I never had a problem with T-Mobile, but then again I never have to unlock a phone every year. I unlocked a 925 from them and didn't have a problem, along with a 640. Didn't know they had a 2 phone cap

LOLOLOLOL and No. Unlocks are generally hard for most US carriers. AT&T seems to be the ONLY one doing it properly (as in fully compliant with the letter and spirit of the law).

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
There is really no way to get this phone without being a T-Mobile customer or having a T-Mobile line. You cant just walk into the store (on ATT or cricket or whatever) buy the phone, unlock it, and leave. Unfortunately.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There is really no way to get this phone without being a T-Mobile customer or having a T-Mobile line. You cant just walk into the store (on ATT or cricket or whatever) buy the phone, unlock it, and leave. Unfortunately.
Yes. Hence the limited LTE bands supported and it being a carrier exclusive model. Good for T-mobile as they may pick up new accounts from it, but a downer for those who like this phone and are with another carrier. Best to wait and see what's in the pipeline...

Sent from mTalk

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Hence the limited LTE bands supported and it being a carrier exclusive model. Good for T-mobile as they may pick up new accounts from it, but a downer for those who like this phone and are with another carrier. Best to wait and see what's in the pipeline...

Sent from mTalk

I can't believe this bull****t still goes on in 2016.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I just want to add confirmation that TMobile is not unlocking phones UNLESS you are on their network for 40 days... I find this completely ridiculous when they charged me an extra $30 because I told them I was not going to be on their network. Why would you charge me an extra 30 if you still wont unlock it. I probably would have been better paying the cheaper price for the phone and then paying for 2 months on their cheapest plan. and then still unlocking it through a 3rd party.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just want to add confirmation that TMobile is not unlocking phones

Read your other posting...
This is almost the same deal that happened with me when trying to deal with T-Mobile after buying a One Touch XL from them.
Never did get them to unlock it.

This new Alcatel phone needs to be sold unlocked otherwise it too will fade away.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

ugh. Microsoft needs to sell this through their store. this is horses***

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Sent from mTalk
I've seen conflicting documentation concerning the supported bands on this phone. I'm sure there's a field engineering mode where bands are probably "unchecked". It may be as simple as a quick reg edit too.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as unlocking, my colleague bought a T-Mobile LG V10 used and tried to get it unlocked since he's on Cricket. It took awhile, and was a lot of hassle, but just today he told me they finally unlocked it for him. I don't know the details of what it took though.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
So I just messaged Alcatel a few days ago about the 4S getting an unlocked international release and this was the response.

Not a confirmation but brings some hope that they're looking into it.

wp_ss_20161129_0001.jpgwp_ss_20161129_0001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon