09-18-2017 10:11 PM
59 123
tools
    In addition to SMS/MMS issues, I can not get new entries to stick in Quite Hours Breakthrough list.

Just went Insider Release Ring to see if I can clear up one or both issues. Downloading 14393.726 right now...
    Didn't solve either. Oh well, I like Release Ring anyway and will just stay there.

On the SMS/MMS front... Remember, I'm on Cricket with an Idol 4S unlocked from T-Mo.

I went so far as to use the ATT nxtgenphone settings which do allow me internet. Cricket will be moving to nxtgenphone soon anyway from what I gather, they just keep delaying the rollout...
    capture01.png
    It's tough getting that "k" in MaxMessageSize since all you get is a numeric keyboard for that field. Type "600" then hit the microphone and speak "k." After that you have to move the cursor back and erase the space.

Using nxtgenphone (ATT settings) for APN and MMS...
    • Send SMS = Fail
    • Send MMS (pic only) = Success
    • Send MMS (pic + text) = Success
    • Receive SMS = Success
    • Receive MMS (pic only) = Fail
    • Receive MMS (pic + text) = Fail

Using ndo (Cricket settings) for APN and nxtgenphone for MMS...

• Send SMS = Fail
    • Send MMS (pic only) = Success
    • Receive SMS = Success

Using ndo for APN and MMS...

• Send SMS = Fail
    • Send MMS (pic only) = Fail
    • Send MMS (pic + text) = Fail
    • Receive SMS = Success

Using nxtgenphone for APN and ndo for MMS...

• Send SMS = Fail
    • Send MMS (pic only) = Fail
    • Receive SMS = Success

So there is no difference between ndo and nxtgenphone for APN, but I have more success with nxtgenphone for MMS settings.

This is just bizarre. Last time I experienced anything like this was on Straight Talk. They had made a systemic change and it was definitely on their end affecting Windows Phone only and it took them some time to fix it... http://forums.windowscentral.com/car...mms-issue.html
    z8er likes this.
    02-08-2017 01:30 PM
    Interesting how AT&T and Cricket see this with the T-Mobile unlocked variant of the Idol4s not he Unlocked one from Microsoft. Also Max Message size field should be measured in kilobytes. You should not have to define that measurement.
    RumoredNow and z8er like this.
    02-08-2017 01:53 PM
    I'm on ATT with Tmobile unlocked. I've had this same problem since December. Texts just fine but no MMS send or receive. It's extremely frustrating how I went through a huge hassle with TMobile buying this on day one and suffering through their ****ty service (in my area) just to eventually unlock 40 days later. And now that I do finally have service with ATT. I have to deal with no MMS. I love this device but I honestly regret the whole scenario.

I'm going to email Alcatel support to see if they can help.

I Hope anyone experiencing this problem would also contact Alcatel and also mention this forum post.

support@alcatelonetouch.us
    including the following info
    Name:
    Email:
    Phone Number:
    Phone Model: Idol 4s with Windows 10
    IMEI:
    Wireless Carrier:
    Your Country:
    Zip Code:
    Last edited by RobbieRobski; 02-15-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    RumoredNow and TunedM52 like this.
    02-15-2017 03:07 PM
    Just receiving MMS right? Not sending...nevermind re-read what you posted. Thanks.
    02-15-2017 07:09 PM
    I've spent a couple of hours with ATT support on three different occasions. Supposedly there was a block on my account for MMS and it would take 48 hours to resolve... but of course that didn't change anything.

Their support is basically useless and they keep sending documentation for android devices.
    03-07-2017 12:52 PM
    Do you have a case open? If so let me know and I can give you a different support number to call and you can ask them to look at that case number...
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    03-07-2017 02:49 PM
    I think I might know how to help.

Do me a favor and someone look up these registry keys and tell me the values...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\Legacy

ADDR =

WapPushTechnology =

UAProf =

IMsiAuthenticationToken =

DefaultContentLocationUrl =

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings

EntitlementRequired =

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX

HideMMSAPN =

HideAPN =

Some of them might not be there...
    Last edited by Nate W; 03-07-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    03-07-2017 04:11 PM
    I think I might know how to help.

Do me a favor and someone look up these registry keys and tell me the values...
    I think you are the one doing the favor...

ADDR = missing

WapPushTechnology = missing

UAProf = missing

IMsiAuthenticationToken = missing

DefaultContentLocationUrl = missing

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings

EntitlementRequired = 0 (however, I set it to 0 myself as part of the hack to enable Hotspot on Cricket - I don't believe this has anything to do with SMS/MMS)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX

HideMMSAPN = missing

HideAPN = missing
    nate0 likes this.
    03-07-2017 08:19 PM
    Ok. Under per sim settings you should see your iccid (sim card id). I believe it should contain at least the ADDR key there. I don't have anything under Legacy either. What do you see under the SimCardId key tree?

Yet if someone wants they can try adding the below to see if it helps...What I have done in the past is change the keys under legacy to below. I'm not certain, but the Legacy settings should be used first, but of course the settings here were for AT&T not cricket. It's also possible other mms settings could be using T-Mobile provisioned settings and just need to be changed.

And yes the value you set to 0 is the hotspot setting.

ADDR = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    WapPushTechnology = 0
    UAProf = <Blank>
    IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
    DefaultContentLocationUrl = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    03-07-2017 08:58 PM
    Ok. Under per sim settings you should see your iccid (sim card id). I believe it should contain at least the ADDR key there. I don't have anything under Legacy either. What do you see under the SimCardId key tree?

Yet if someone wants they can try adding the below to see if it helps...What I have done in the past is change the keys under legacy to below. I'm not certain, but the Legacy settings should be used first, but of course the settings here were for AT&T not cricket. It's also possible other mms settings could be using T-Mobile provisioned settings and just need to be changed.

And yes the value you set to 0 is the hotspot setting.

ADDR = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    WapPushTechnology = 0
    UAProf = <Blank>
    IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
    DefaultContentLocationUrl = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    Gotta go to work... I'll play with this in the morning. Thanks.
    03-07-2017 09:04 PM
    No go.

Tried it with ATT settings for APN and MMS (nxtgenphone) and the ATT WAP gateway for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

Tried it with Cricket settings for APN and MMS + the Cricket WAP Gateway (http://mmsc.aiowireless.net) for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

I did have the other keys created with blank values as well for both tries and WapPushTechnology = 0.

@Nate W what do you have for
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\MMS\Profiles

Mine is blank
    03-08-2017 08:34 AM
    Nothing under MMS\Profiles too.

These are Populated:
    [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\GlobalSettings]
    [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerProviderSettings]
    [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\890xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

If you need any of the values let me know.

Also I found some services keys that might be related, but not positive. Those keys I listed were from Pre-RS1 builds so probably obsolete now.
    Last edited by Nate W; 03-08-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-08-2017 09:50 AM
    No go.

Tried it with ATT settings for APN and MMS (nxtgenphone) and the ATT WAP gateway for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

Tried it with Cricket settings for APN and MMS + the Cricket WAP Gateway (http://mmsc.aiowireless.net) for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

I did have the other keys created with blank values as well for both tries and WapPushTechnology = 0.

@Nate W what do you have for
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\MMS\Profiles

Mine is blank
    Did you do this and set the apn and mms apn? Or just the apn? Sorry I see your info there...at this point we are almost shooting in the dark. I have a hunch though that whatever is under per sim settings is causing it to have issues.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-08-2017 10:28 AM
    @RumoredNow

Try adding this key with value Dword = 1

[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\whateverYourUICCID#is]

ErrorCodeEnabled

this will generate a code and maybe details as to why it fails when sending instead of the just TryAgain.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-11-2017 10:03 PM
    whateverYourUICCID#is
    Where do I look this up at?
    03-12-2017 12:23 AM
    Is anything under persimsettings besides legacy?

If there's a number it would be that (sim card ID)
    03-12-2017 12:25 AM
    I was able to correct an issue I had with sending sms to smtp just now...I had to add the error code key to help me out. Thought I'd add this one here if it helps.
    03-12-2017 12:28 AM
    Is anything under persimsettings besides legacy?

If there's a number it would be that (sim card ID)
    Nothing except "Legacy."

Just the 13 digit SIM? Because that is just a part of ICCID if I read correctly.
    03-12-2017 12:29 AM
    Oops sorry. Ya.

That's odd. Wonder if per sim settings is not even used here on the t-mobile model even if unlocked?

Been experimenting. I've added different sims to this phone then booted up to have it generate/provision different keys for messaging and sim settings. Since I don't know first hand what capabilities could be there then what my att sim has already. I did a t-mobile one last week. This week I used a project fi sim which then prompted me to pick a mobile operator at boot time.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-12-2017 12:33 AM
    @RumoredNow
    Another good tool that I have recently started using again is Field Medic. I installed it, and have scrolled down towards the bottom of the System Info Details list and there you will find many of the configured Sim and APN registry settings in xml format. From there you can see how the provisioning is currently set up and if maybe something is out of place.
    RumoredNow and PFSP like this.
    03-12-2017 10:10 AM
    How do you look up registry on phone?

Also no I don't have a case number because I was on chat and they never provided one.
    03-20-2017 01:03 PM
    Turns out my issues were SIM related. Cricket uses AT&T which recently shut down their 2G. I had the "old" style SIM. I moved that SIM into my Xperia X and also had SMS issues.

Went to Cricket yesterday and got a "new" style SIM and the issues went away.
    libra89, editguy and nate0 like this.
    04-26-2017 01:04 PM
    Turns out my issues were SIM related. Cricket uses AT&T which recently shut down their 2G. I had the "old" style SIM. I moved that SIM into my Xperia X and also had SMS issues.

Went to Cricket yesterday and got a "new" style SIM and the issues went away.
    Wondering if I need to switch my sim even though I am on AT&T. How did you know you had the old model sim?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-26-2017 06:08 PM
    They told me... And now it is a new color.

Odd though that my wife's Note 4 wasn't affected. Nor, to the best of my knowledge, was my mother in law's Lumia 640 or my father in law's 635. They all still have the old SIM and we 4 are on the same account.

That's why I thought it must be something in the T-Mo firmware on the Idol 4S.
    libra89 and nate0 like this.
    04-27-2017 09:17 AM
    I doubt my issue on ATT is sim related. I mean, it's not like they have old sims laying around considering how large of a carrier and busy they are. It's really ****ty having to put up with this issue. The only saving grace for me is that I primarily text people with my google voice number so I can always fall back on the web browser on my pc to check images. But that also makes sending images that much more of a hassle.

I'm heavily contemplating buying the unlocked version since it's on a pretty deep sale on amazon right now. If I can be sure I wont have this sms issue I'll do it. I may have to chat with them and see what the return policy is like for phones.
    05-25-2017 12:30 PM
59 123