AT&T Unlocked Messaging Issues

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I continue having difficulties on Cricket. Now I can't send SMS, but I can receive. Everything was working fine for SMS and MMS, send and receive when I first got this phone and before that on my Lumia 650.

I wonder if this has anything to do with AT&T shutting off 2G and repurposing those bands for 3G.

Imma call Cricket tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere.

I'm on Cricket as well, bought my idol through the MS store online and not T-Mobile. I have not had issues as of yet. but here is a screenshot of my settings (I have no MMS APN defined) I don't know if this will help, but hopefully it is of some value to you.

wp_ss_20170207_0001.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In addition to SMS/MMS issues, I can not get new entries to stick in Quite Hours Breakthrough list.

Just went Insider Release Ring to see if I can clear up one or both issues. Downloading 14393.726 right now...

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well officially stumped guys. I ended up resetting the phone using WDRT, the tmobile build. It wouldn't allow the me to download the open market version. Ended up with the same problem. Eternally messed with the APN settings. I'm able to get it to send images, just not receive. The settings that I'm using, which works for sending are:

phone
proxy.mobile.att.net
http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

From what I kind find, these should work. I just don't understand why I can send, but can't receive? So weird. Oh well, off to call ATT.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Well officially stumped guys. I ended up resetting the phone using WDRT, the tmobile build. It wouldn't allow the me to download the open market version. Ended up with the same problem. Eternally messed with the APN settings. I'm able to get it to send images, just not receive. The settings that I'm using, which works for sending are:

phone
proxy.mobile.att.net

From what I kind find, these should work. I just don't understand why I can send, but can't receive? So weird. Oh well, off to call ATT.

If at&t doesn't solve it via apn settings. I bet it's registry settings.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: AT&T Unlocked Messaging Issues

phone
proxy.mobile.att.net

I corrected my link from earlier as it did not seem to link to the correct page, or maybe it did..it did not work for me for some reason... but from your listing above have at&t verify if those mms settings work for both phone and nxtgenphone. Here is from the link I posted earlier off AT&T's site. It does not mention phone as the apn though.

Cellular Data/Internet Access MMS
Cellular Data/Internet Access
APN: NXTGENPHONE
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Proxy Server: Not set
Proxy Port: Not set
APN type: IPv4v6

MMS
APN: NXTGENPHONE
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
WAP Gateway: proxy.mobile.att.net
WAP Gateway: Port80
MMSC:http://mmsc.mobile.att.net[/url]
Max Message Size: 600k
IP type: IPv4v6

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In addition to SMS/MMS issues, I can not get new entries to stick in Quite Hours Breakthrough list.

Just went Insider Release Ring to see if I can clear up one or both issues. Downloading 14393.726 right now...

Didn't solve either. Oh well, I like Release Ring anyway and will just stay there.

On the SMS/MMS front... Remember, I'm on Cricket with an Idol 4S unlocked from T-Mo.

I went so far as to use the ATT nxtgenphone settings which do allow me internet. Cricket will be moving to nxtgenphone soon anyway from what I gather, they just keep delaying the rollout...
Capture01.png
It's tough getting that "k" in MaxMessageSize since all you get is a numeric keyboard for that field. Type "600" then hit the microphone and speak "k." After that you have to move the cursor back and erase the space.

Using nxtgenphone (ATT settings) for APN and MMS...
  • Send SMS = Fail
  • Send MMS (pic only) = Success
  • Send MMS (pic + text) = Success
  • Receive SMS = Success
  • Receive MMS (pic only) = Fail
  • Receive MMS (pic + text) = Fail
Using ndo (Cricket settings) for APN and nxtgenphone for MMS...

• Send SMS = Fail
  • Send MMS (pic only) = Success
  • Receive SMS = Success
Using ndo for APN and MMS...

• Send SMS = Fail
  • Send MMS (pic only) = Fail
  • Send MMS (pic + text) = Fail
  • Receive SMS = Success
Using nxtgenphone for APN and ndo for MMS...

• Send SMS = Fail
  • Send MMS (pic only) = Fail
  • Receive SMS = Success
So there is no difference between ndo and nxtgenphone for APN, but I have more success with nxtgenphone for MMS settings.

This is just bizarre. Last time I experienced anything like this was on Straight Talk. They had made a systemic change and it was definitely on their end affecting Windows Phone only and it took them some time to fix it... http://forums.windowscentral.com/ca.../355475-straight-talk-incoming-mms-issue.html

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Interesting how AT&T and Cricket see this with the T-Mobile unlocked variant of the Idol4s not he Unlocked one from Microsoft. Also Max Message size field should be measured in kilobytes. You should not have to define that measurement.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm on ATT with Tmobile unlocked. I've had this same problem since December. Texts just fine but no MMS send or receive. It's extremely frustrating how I went through a huge hassle with TMobile buying this on day one and suffering through their ****ty service (in my area) just to eventually unlock 40 days later. And now that I do finally have service with ATT. I have to deal with no MMS. I love this device but I honestly regret the whole scenario.

I'm going to email Alcatel support to see if they can help.

I Hope anyone experiencing this problem would also contact Alcatel and also mention this forum post.

support@alcatelonetouch.us
including the following info
Name:
Email:
Phone Number:
Phone Model: Idol 4s with Windows 10
IMEI:
Wireless Carrier:
Your Country:
Zip Code:

Last edited:

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I've spent a couple of hours with ATT support on three different occasions. Supposedly there was a block on my account for MMS and it would take 48 hours to resolve... but of course that didn't change anything.

Their support is basically useless and they keep sending documentation for android devices.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Do you have a case open? If so let me know and I can give you a different support number to call and you can ask them to look at that case number...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I think I might know how to help.

Do me a favor and someone look up these registry keys and tell me the values...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\Legacy

ADDR =

WapPushTechnology =

UAProf =

IMsiAuthenticationToken =

DefaultContentLocationUrl =

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings

EntitlementRequired =

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX

HideMMSAPN =

HideAPN =

Some of them might not be there...

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I think I might know how to help.

Do me a favor and someone look up these registry keys and tell me the values...

I think you are the one doing the favor... :cool:

ADDR = missing

WapPushTechnology = missing

UAProf = missing

IMsiAuthenticationToken = missing

DefaultContentLocationUrl = missing

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings

EntitlementRequired = 0 (however, I set it to 0 myself as part of the hack to enable Hotspot on Cricket - I don't believe this has anything to do with SMS/MMS)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX

HideMMSAPN = missing

HideAPN = missing

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok. Under per sim settings you should see your iccid (sim card id). I believe it should contain at least the ADDR key there. I don't have anything under Legacy either. What do you see under the SimCardId key tree?

Yet if someone wants they can try adding the below to see if it helps...What I have done in the past is change the keys under legacy to below. I'm not certain, but the Legacy settings should be used first, but of course the settings here were for AT&T not cricket. It's also possible other mms settings could be using T-Mobile provisioned settings and just need to be changed.

And yes the value you set to 0 is the hotspot setting.

ADDR = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
WapPushTechnology = 0
UAProf = <Blank>
IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
DefaultContentLocationUrl = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Under per sim settings you should see your iccid (sim card id). I believe it should contain at least the ADDR key there. I don't have anything under Legacy either. What do you see under the SimCardId key tree?

Yet if someone wants they can try adding the below to see if it helps...What I have done in the past is change the keys under legacy to below. I'm not certain, but the Legacy settings should be used first, but of course the settings here were for AT&T not cricket. It's also possible other mms settings could be using T-Mobile provisioned settings and just need to be changed.

And yes the value you set to 0 is the hotspot setting.

ADDR = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
WapPushTechnology = 0
UAProf = <Blank>
IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
DefaultContentLocationUrl = http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

Gotta go to work... I'll play with this in the morning. Thanks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No go.

Tried it with ATT settings for APN and MMS (nxtgenphone) and the ATT WAP gateway for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

Tried it with Cricket settings for APN and MMS + the Cricket WAP Gateway (http://mmsc.aiowireless.net) for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

I did have the other keys created with blank values as well for both tries and WapPushTechnology = 0.

@Nate W what do you have for
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\MMS\Profiles

Mine is blank

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Nothing under MMS\Profiles too.

These are Populated:
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\GlobalSettings]
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerProviderSettings]
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\890xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

If you need any of the values let me know.

Also I found some services keys that might be related, but not positive. Those keys I listed were from Pre-RS1 builds so probably obsolete now.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
No go.

Tried it with ATT settings for APN and MMS (nxtgenphone) and the ATT WAP gateway for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

Tried it with Cricket settings for APN and MMS + the Cricket WAP Gateway (http://mmsc.aiowireless.net) for ADDR and DefaultContentLocationURL, failed SMS send.

I did have the other keys created with blank values as well for both tries and WapPushTechnology = 0.

@Nate W what do you have for
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\MMS\Profiles

Mine is blank
Did you do this and set the apn and mms apn? Or just the apn? Sorry I see your info there...at this point we are almost shooting in the dark. I have a hunch though that whatever is under per sim settings is causing it to have issues.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@RumoredNow

Try adding this key with value Dword = 1

[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\whateverYourUICCID#is]

ErrorCodeEnabled

this will generate a code and maybe details as to why it fails when sending instead of the just TryAgain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel