AT&T Unlocked Messaging Issues

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: AT&T Unlocked Messaging Issues

Is anything under persimsettings besides legacy?

If there's a number it would be that (sim card ID)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I was able to correct an issue I had with sending sms to smtp just now...I had to add the error code key to help me out. Thought I'd add this one here if it helps.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Is anything under persimsettings besides legacy?

If there's a number it would be that (sim card ID)

Nothing except "Legacy."

Just the 13 digit SIM? Because that is just a part of ICCID if I read correctly.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Oops sorry. Ya.

That's odd. Wonder if per sim settings is not even used here on the t-mobile model even if unlocked?

Been experimenting. I've added different sims to this phone then booted up to have it generate/provision different keys for messaging and sim settings. Since I don't know first hand what capabilities could be there then what my att sim has already. I did a t-mobile one last week. This week I used a project fi sim which then prompted me to pick a mobile operator at boot time.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@RumoredNow
Another good tool that I have recently started using again is Field Medic. I installed it, and have scrolled down towards the bottom of the System Info Details list and there you will find many of the configured Sim and APN registry settings in xml format. From there you can see how the provisioning is currently set up and if maybe something is out of place.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Turns out my issues were SIM related. Cricket uses AT&T which recently shut down their 2G. I had the "old" style SIM. I moved that SIM into my Xperia X and also had SMS issues.

Went to Cricket yesterday and got a "new" style SIM and the issues went away.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Turns out my issues were SIM related. Cricket uses AT&T which recently shut down their 2G. I had the "old" style SIM. I moved that SIM into my Xperia X and also had SMS issues.

Went to Cricket yesterday and got a "new" style SIM and the issues went away.

Wondering if I need to switch my sim even though I am on AT&T. How did you know you had the old model sim?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They told me... And now it is a new color.

Odd though that my wife's Note 4 wasn't affected. Nor, to the best of my knowledge, was my mother in law's Lumia 640 or my father in law's 635. They all still have the old SIM and we 4 are on the same account.

That's why I thought it must be something in the T-Mo firmware on the Idol 4S.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I doubt my issue on ATT is sim related. I mean, it's not like they have old sims laying around considering how large of a carrier and busy they are. It's really ****ty having to put up with this issue. The only saving grace for me is that I primarily text people with my google voice number so I can always fall back on the web browser on my pc to check images. But that also makes sending images that much more of a hassle.

I'm heavily contemplating buying the unlocked version since it's on a pretty deep sale on amazon right now. If I can be sure I wont have this sms issue I'll do it. I may have to chat with them and see what the return policy is like for phones.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I had an issue where I'd lose all LTE bands this was on a 950 and 960 xl though. So kinda unrelated... Come to find out it was my sim card. It was either damaged or just old and worn out. Doesn't hurt to swap your sim if you can. And it's free.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I doubt my issue on ATT is sim related. I mean, it's not like they have old sims laying around considering how large of a carrier and busy they are. It's really ****ty having to put up with this issue. The only saving grace for me is that I primarily text people with my google voice number so I can always fall back on the web browser on my pc to check images. But that also makes sending images that much more of a hassle.

I'm heavily contemplating buying the unlocked version since it's on a pretty deep sale on amazon right now. If I can be sure I wont have this sms issue I'll do it. I may have to chat with them and see what the return policy is like for phones.

Still having the same issues on the T-Mobile unlocked?

I wish I had an easy fix for you. I can attest that I had the same issues while using the T-Mobile FW. I even got no LTE at times. Why I know so much about the Alcatel carrier stuff (how to enable HD Voice/getting mms&sms to function/getting APNs to set correctly) and how to get the T-Mobile OS/FW to work on AT&T optimally. There is a for sure fix, but you have to get full file system access to get anywhere though. If you tried the SIM card, still getting no where, and feel you are technical and want to dive into that area of your phone I could build a tutorial. It should correct the MMS issue and it would also leave you the potential to enable HD voice. Right now my IDOL 4s is being exchanged again though, so I have to wait until probably next week before I see it again. I may end up building the tutorial anyway when I have time as it could benefit others anyway.

pixelswim

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello I am having the same issue with my unlocked T-Mobile Idol 4S. My service is Mint SIM (Ultra Mobile a T-Mobile MVNO) and I have set up all the APN settings correctly and can send MMS but not receive. All regular data works fine. The only thing that's not working is receiving MMS.

I have tried a million combinations of APN settings from tons of gathered information. I think this issue might fall under the context of this thread, being that I think it is a firmware issue. I would be thoroughly interested in a tutorial on how to fix.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or help!

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Hello I am having the same issue with my unlocked T-Mobile Idol 4S. My service is Mint SIM (Ultra Mobile a T-Mobile MVNO) and I have set up all the APN settings correctly and can send MMS but not receive. All regular data works fine. The only thing that's not working is receiving MMS.

I have tried a million combinations of APN settings from tons of gathered information. I think this issue might fall under the context of this thread, being that I think it is a firmware issue. I would be thoroughly interested in a tutorial on how to fix.

Unfortunately, you've just joined the the ranks of us who discovered the hard way that the T-Mo variant of this phone is incompatible with every other carrier. There are dozens of us who have been combing over every registry entry, adjusting every setting, and swapping every SIM. There is something in the T-Mobile firmware that just won't allow certain features, with MMS being one of them.

The only solutions for this is for Alcatel to:

1.) Fix the firmware
2.) Allow the open market FFU to be installed on all variants

#2 seems to be the easiest solution, but Alcatel will not give either option any serious consideration. I guess they figure the phone is old enough and was never terribly popular, so they'll just stonewall on the issue and everybody will eventually move on with life.

pixelswim

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, you've just joined the the ranks of us who discovered the hard way that the T-Mo variant of this phone is incompatible with every other carrier. There are dozens of us who have been combing over every registry entry, adjusting every setting, and swapping every SIM. There is something in the T-Mobile firmware that just won't allow certain features, with MMS being one of them.

The only solutions for this is for Alcatel to:

1.) Fix the firmware
2.) Allow the open market FFU to be installed on all variants

#2 seems to be the easiest solution, but Alcatel will not give either option any serious consideration. I guess they figure the phone is old enough and was never terribly popular, so they'll just stonewall on the issue and everybody will eventually move on with life.

Yeah, this is the hard truth I was hoping not to hear. Thanks for the response. I hope Alcatel can fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, this is the hard truth I was hoping not to hear. Thanks for the response. I hope Alcatel can fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm right there with you. I bought this phone hoping it would get me through until MS makes their next move in the phone arena. But it turned out being a disaster, so I'm going to pick up a Note 8.

I'm sure Microsoft isn't done with phones. No consumer tech company can afford to walk away from producing phones. But what Microsoft's next phone effort will look like and whether anybody will still care are questions for the distant future. And I won't be around to see the answer. I did my fair share by buying dead-end products like Zune, WP 7/8/10, Surface RT, and the Band. I'll leave the proof-of-concept testing to other brave souls. As much as I want to believe in a third-party alternative for mobile, I'm just tapped out.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

There might be ways to troubleshoot this if you want to be the guinea pig. It is very bizzare that a MVNO slice from Tmobile even won't work. It made sense why the Idol unlocked from T-mo would not work well on Cricket and AT&T.

Most of the MMS/SMS registry configurations are in here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging

Anyhow, you can try initially by adding this registry key in if you want to take it further. Then maybe you might get more than a generic failure....
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\<your SIM Card ID here>]
"ErrorCodeEnabled"=dword:00000001

The other thing you could do if you had time and an unlocked model of another type running Windows 10 mobile and activate the Mint Sim sim card in it and it works. Maybe a buddy you know or a relative that would let you insert the sim, but then you would need to go dig in the registry settings for info on that device...

It is up to you, and if you plan to try to keep the phone, I truly believe there is has to be a way to work around anything or fix it until every possible solution known has been exhausted.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes