The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-01-2017 08:14 AM
61 123
tools
    So, I have been an active member at a sister site, CrackBerry. I purchased my first BlackBerry in 2005 and I have been a user pretty much ever since. I have left at times only to return. I have always loved my physical keyboards and BlackBerry's build construction. However, I feel as though all of that is changing now. BlackBerry has abandoned BB10. My prized BB10 phones such as the Classic and the Passport are dying a slow and painful death. BlackBerry has decided to go the route of using Android on their devices now. I have the Priv, their first foray into BlackBerry Android, and have been patiently awaiting their new offering in the KEYone. The problem with the Priv, and assumingly the KEYone, is that the have Android...which I absolutely do not like. I have tried, and tried, and tried, to get on board with Android. Unfortunately, despite what phone I have used running it, it has the same reoccurring issues. Battery drain. Apps crashing. System stalling. God the system stalling. Every time I try to use one I start with feeling hopeful and then that quickly fades away.

Therefore I am now forced to perhaps abandon the platform that I have supported for well over a decade. A platform that I own stock in. I have been a dedicated user, a faithful soldier. I am still going to buy the KEYone when it is finally released. I will give it a honest try. But given that it has Android I am not overly hopeful that I will be pleased.

As much as I dislike Android though I have a similar disdain for iPhone. I d not care for their ecosystem and I do not like the general attitude towards Apple and how they can seemingly do no wrong. That lead me with no viable option for a smartphone with the exception of Windows. During one of my times away from BlackBerry I had used a Dell Venue Pro which I thoroughly enjoyed. Later I used the HTC M8 which was good, albeit got hot. Both great phones at their time.

Upon making the decision to start a slow integration into Windows Phone I started looking at handsets. This is where I was most surprised. It does not seems that there has been many handsets released recently. I see the 950/950xl. Both which I was familiar with having read about them at the time of their release. I also discovered the HP Elite X3 and the Alcatel Idol 4S. I was prepared to pull the trigger on the Elite X3 that was being sold here in the Marketplace when I stumbled upon the Idol 4S being sold at half the price. I pulled the trigger and purchased a new in the box device for $250.

SO, long post to get here. Are there any tips or information that I should know about in regards to this phone? Any suggestions one could give in setting it up, etc? Thank you for reading my post and commenting.
    I love my Alcatel Idol 4s. If you are current Windows Phone user and your upgrading to this phone, make sure you upgrade the phone before doing a restore from your previous phone. All sorts of problems can occur if you do not do it that way. Brightness issue is one of them. the phone feels good in the hand, but so hard to find a rugged case for it. it's fast and haven't had any issues with it. Battery life is very nice too. By the time I've done a little more than 8 hours at work I am surprised to see that it is barely at 40 to 50%, which means I probably still have about a good 12 hours to go. It's been five hours since my last charge and it's at 85% with 22 hours left to go. Very nice screen as well. Apps I use are "Perfect Tube" for YouTube which I prefer over the regular app on other platforms. Poki to access getpocket.com, and CNX Player for watching personal videos or downloaded videos. Currently running a 64gb micro sd for all my storage. I sometimes slide my finger on the fingerprint sensor so that It can recognize my fingerprint faster.
    04-14-2017 12:00 PM
    Back in the day, the only phone that I would only look at is a BB phone. The BB Bold was my last BB phone. Used several android phones and a Iphone 4 until I migrated over to windows. My first Windows Phone was the Lumia 935. The Live tiles caught my eye, I was hooked after that regardless of the lack of apps. Been using windows phones ever since with no looking back. Just upgraded recently from the L640 to the Idol 4S which was a huge upgrade. The speed alone of the Idol 4S is amazing. I don’t think that I can go below the specs of the Idol 4S when it’s time to upgrade again. Of course, I still love the live tiles especially when there live inside the folders on the Start Menu. The option of adjusting the transparency of the tiles is another great feature I love. I use One Note mostly throughout the day between work and home, so it is great that I can sync my One Note with my phone and PC using Windows 10. Being able to play my music between the Idol 4S, PC and Xbox One is great. I recently had no problems projecting the Idol 4s to my smart screen with no problems. The Idol4S handled the wireless projection with no problems, worked great.
    editguy and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-14-2017 12:52 PM
    I'm on the fast ring and no problems. Phone runs great. Only thing id say to do is def get a case and tempered glass screen protectors the phone looks great but very slippery in hand with no case. There's also some well known headphone jack issues

Sent from Idol 4s
    What's WRRT? if that just a typo for Windows recovery tool! I'm trying to find out before going insiders on my new unlocked 4S (coming today) does recovery tool have software fire the unlocked version?
    nate0 likes this.
    04-14-2017 03:39 PM
    What's WRRT? if that just a typo for Windows recovery tool! I'm trying to find out before going insiders on my new unlocked 4S (coming today) does recovery tool have software fire the unlocked version?
    Last I checked no. It's taking an insane amount of time. Beginning to think they are preparing to clean up the tool for the idol or other devices maybe harden the unlocked ffu...I have no clue why it is still not there. Alcatel probably is not much influence in getting it up faster.
    RumoredNow and steadydon like this.
    04-14-2017 07:01 PM
    A bit off topic I know but now that I just got my 4S I installed the Facebook app made by Facebook the font is very small compared to what it was with Microsoft's Facebook app on my 640 and 640XL. Am I missing something or does anyone else see this issue. I would like a bit larger font. All other apps font is bigger, like Twitter. Oh, FB Messenger is also very small font. Anyone know how to sideload or install the Microsoft FB app?
    04-14-2017 11:19 PM
    On low resolution screen fonts will look bigger. On high resolution screen fonts will be smaller.
    04-14-2017 11:25 PM
    A bit off topic I know but now that I just got my 4S I installed the Facebook app made by Facebook the font is very small compared to what it was with Microsoft's Facebook app on my 640 and 640XL. Am I missing something or does anyone else see this issue. I would like a bit larger font. All other apps font is bigger, like Twitter. Oh, FB Messenger is also very small font. Anyone know how to sideload or install the Microsoft FB app?
    FB is in the windows store.
    04-15-2017 02:56 AM
    On low resolution screen fonts will look bigger. On high resolution screen fonts will be smaller.
    That's what I would have thought as well but even if I install Facebook by Facebook on the 640 the front is smaller then the Facebook by Microsoft app.
    04-15-2017 03:18 AM
    FB is in the windows store.
    Not the Microsoft Facebook app. It was removed a while ago.
    04-15-2017 03:19 AM
    Not the Microsoft Facebook app. It was removed a while ago.
    Oh I thought you meant the facebook, facebook app.

My bad.

Does windows 10 mobile have custom scaling?
    04-15-2017 05:32 AM
    Did you go insiders with your Idol 4S?

your phone is currently supported and will get the latest updates, I see no point in getting unstable fast ring builds. Unless you really want to get latest, greatest and buggiest LOL!
    04-15-2017 06:35 AM
    Settings > System > Display > Size of text, apps and items on this display > crank it up...

Does windows 10 mobile have custom scaling?
    Uh, yup...
    04-15-2017 06:56 AM
    That might not necessarily be the case. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop on all my devices and the icons and fonts are noticeably larger on my Idol than on my iPhone or Android. All 3 have 5-1/2" displays and all 3 have the same FHD resolution.

The "new" Facebook app is a Project Islandwood product and may be scaled to iOS standards. Personally, I always liked the larger fonts since I'm no longer 20/20.
    04-15-2017 09:53 AM
    That might not necessarily be the case. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop on all my devices and the icons and fonts are noticeably larger on my Idol than on my iPhone or Android. All 3 have 5-1/2" displays and all 3 have the same FHD resolution.

The "new" Facebook app is a Project Islandwood product and may be scaled to iOS standards. Personally, I always liked the larger fonts since I'm no longer 20/20.
    There ya go. Me too. HAHA. I'd like all apps to have options for; small, medium, and large font options.
    04-15-2017 12:33 PM
    Originally posted by steadydon
    Go to Settings/Ease of access/ here you can adjust the "text scaling" option.
    Alternative you also can adjust another scaling value in Settings/display/
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-15-2017 08:48 PM
    I was thinking of picking up a second phone too. I have been really excited about the new BlackBerry KEYone but the constant delays are getting to me and making me think twice.
    Remember the Idol and Keyone both come from TCL. We almost died waiting for the Windows edition to finally get here. The Idol is one hell of a device. Be patient. Hood things sometimes take time.
    fatclue_98 and editguy like this.
    04-16-2017 09:51 AM
    Go to Settings/Ease of access/ here you can adjust the "text scaling" option.
    Alternative you also can adjust another scaling value in Settings/display/
    Yup, did that already and no effect on FB app.
    04-16-2017 01:47 PM
    So it appears that unlike the Alcatel on android the front led on the Windows version doesn't show notifications. Just got my 4S a few days ago but also have the idol pro 3. I already miss the glance on my 640XL.
    nate0 likes this.
    04-16-2017 09:55 PM
    S

SO, long post to get here. Are there any tips or information that I should know about in regards to this phone? Any suggestions one could give in setting it up, etc? Thank you for reading my post and commenting.
    I tried the IDOL 4S for about 3 weeks; loved this phone! Excellent build quality and 'feel'; i bought a sleeve/case, but only used it for a day; the phone has such a premium feel, i just couldn't cover it up. Perfect size; nice bright screen. The only problem i had was the camera - i take a ton of pics, and i was having problems with the exposure. I very reluctantly sent it back to the Windows store (for full refund), and picked up a 950 XL. Even though this phone does not have the same 'feel' and premium build quality as the IDOL, the camera is absolutely amazing! Takes better pics than my friends' Galaxy S7s. So...if camera quality is at the top of your list for phone requirements, you might be slightly disappointed. But...if camera is not the most important thing, the 4S will be a pleasure to use!
    04-17-2017 12:08 AM
    Remember the Idol and Keyone both come from TCL. We almost died waiting for the Windows edition to finally get here. The Idol is one hell of a device. Be patient. Hood things sometimes take time.
    Yes, Alcatel makes both the Idol and the KEYone. I have long loved BlackBerry. The issue I have is that I had liquidated some of my things in the expectation of purchasing the K1. But even in doing so I was reluctant as I despise Android. While waiting I was using my Priv and my disdain for Android only increased. So much so that I have serious concerns in regards to my using a K1 now. Therefore I am investing in the WM ecosystem. I only wish that I could get notifications to my Fitbit Blaze from my Idol.
    RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-17-2017 12:37 PM
    I tried the IDOL 4S for about 3 weeks; loved this phone! Excellent build quality and 'feel'; i bought a sleeve/case, but only used it for a day; the phone has such a premium feel, i just couldn't cover it up. Perfect size; nice bright screen. The only problem i had was the camera - i take a ton of pics, and i was having problems with the exposure. I very reluctantly sent it back to the Windows store (for full refund), and picked up a 950 XL. Even though this phone does not have the same 'feel' and premium build quality as the IDOL, the camera is absolutely amazing! Takes better pics than my friends' Galaxy S7s. So...if camera quality is at the top of your list for phone requirements, you might be slightly disappointed. But...if camera is not the most important thing, the 4S will be a pleasure to use!
    Pictures are not of utmost importance to me. Using the Idol for a day now. So far so good, although it has been a short sample size.
    04-17-2017 12:38 PM
    So it appears that unlike the Alcatel on android the front led on the Windows version doesn't show notifications. Just got my 4S a few days ago but also have the idol pro 3. I already miss the glance on my 640XL.
    Send to feedback hub please (Glance). I keep doing that for these simple items. Glance has migrated to an OS setting and theoretically is a OS feature now not OEM feature. Microsoft can enable it if they want to, or at least I feel they can.

LED notification however are not an enabled item on any Windows phones (by default. Only as a charging indicator...but. It can be enabled on most Lumias and few others windows phones through regedits.
    Last edited by Nate W; 04-18-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-18-2017 12:03 AM
    After 5 days with my new 4S here's what I think. Speed test opening things versus my 640Xl ranges from less then a second to maybe 3 seconds. Not impressed. Alcatel freezes and locks sometimes where 640Xl doesn't. Speakers are great, screen great, finger print scanner great. So far 4S hasn't sync my favorites yet. Really considering returning.
    04-19-2017 10:33 AM
    After 5 days with my new 4S here's what I think. Speed test opening things versus my 640Xl ranges from less then a second to maybe 3 seconds. Not impressed. Alcatel freezes and locks sometimes where 640Xl doesn't. Speakers are great, screen great, finger print scanner great. So far 4S hasn't sync my favorites yet. Really considering returning.
    Are you on the latest factory build (14393.1066)?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-19-2017 12:33 PM
    Are you on the latest factory build (14393.1066)?

Also is this a T-Mobile variant?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-19-2017 03:29 PM
61 123