AndroidCentral.com on Windows Phone

dougsyo

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?
2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?
3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)
4. What do you like about Windows Phone that no other platform offers?
5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile
Windows Mobile was my first smartphone - I started with a Blackjack 2, then a friend gave me his Fuze (Touchpro) when he got a Tilt2 (Touch Pro2). However, before that I had experience with various PalmOS PDA's, starting with a Palm3, M100, Zire, and most recently a TX. So, I have experience with touchscreen-only devices, keyboard-only (BJ2) and phones with both.

For your questions:
1 - WM61 is adequate, nothing more. HTC's Touchflo interface makes much of the phone finger-friendly, but until the stylus is banished, it will always be an ok experience but nothing special. I actually went from the Fuze back to the BJ2 once, then decided to give it another try. The Fuze keyboard helps a lot, but it means "opening" the phone. A larger-screen phone (TP2, Imagio, HD2, etc) might be usable by finger most of the time. Tis a shame the Epix has a reputation as "buggy", or I'd have gotten that rather than the BJ2.

2 - No custom ROM at the moment, although I followed instructions for de-crapping the phone (getting rid of ATT junklets). I downloaded a WM6.5 ROM for it, but by the time I was ready to put it on, there was a newer version out.

3 - Android would be my first choice if I left WM. I have a couple of software products that don't yet have Android versions, but there are alternatives.

4 - Openness. I can choose alternate web browsers, media players, etc, and there are choices. I am considering doing development, and I have a number of options for how to develop (web apps, C++, Basic4PC, and other products). I don't have to deal with the App Store, and I'm not limited to Java or web apps.

5 - It's still "Windows Mobile" to me. It's not the same as "real Windows" on a desktop or laptop machine.

Doug

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Here's a question for everyone....what direction do you think WinMo should head in next?More focus on games?More focus on media/entertainment? Integration with other platforms such as the Xbox 360? I want to hear some thoughts!

JackG058

Oct 31, 2006
www.LatterDayTruth.org
Here's a question for everyone....what direction do you think WinMo should head in next?More focus on games?More focus on media/entertainment? Integration with other platforms such as the Xbox 360? I want to hear some thoughts!

How about Zune like functionality put into the Windows Phones? Apple does the iTunes with the iPhone, so why not Microsoft Zune integration? Makes sense to a lot of people. Then, give us more onboard memory measured in the GB's and not MB's.

anon(20681)

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a HTC Imagio. I could not be happier. Does windows 6.5 have some issues? Sure but so does every OS. This phone does so much more than I phone users can ever wish for. I am thrilled.

captobie

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Satisfied, but still want more.
2. I think in the total installed user base of WM, custom ROM's are rare. But among those of us who count ourselves as "power users" they are a must. My answer to question number one would be much different if I were stuck with a stock ROM.
3. I have an old AT&T Tilt that I use to play around with Andoid.
4. The pure customizability (is that a word?) of it. Cooked ROM's, different interfaces (TF3D, SPB MS3, Titanium, Winterface, etc, etc, etc), multiple form factors, and even the ability to put a different OS on it (Android, BlackBerry Application Suite if they ever get around to releasing it). I really haven't encountered that level of customization on any other platform. The OS really is what you make it. And thank you to Microsoft for not cracking down on the cooked ROM's!
5. I'm starting to use Windows Phone more, it really is easier to say than Windows Mobile. On the other hand, we've got Window Phone, Windows Mobile, WinMo, WM, PocketPC... it does have an identity crisis.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Heloo Casey Glad you are here with us for a while

1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?

2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?
3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Welcome Casey

-For the most part, I'm satisfied. I wish that 7 has come out last year. Winmo is behind but making progress. I am using the tro pro and hacked that palm abandoned winmo. I understand but...

No custom roms I am using Plan Plus for Outlook by Franklin Covey its a plug in for outlook and has a version of Pocket Informant 8 built in.

-Thinking about it but no movement yet. The gsm successor to the Hero is looking prety nice from the specs I'm watching Android closely.

-Frankly, I really like the today screen. With my WinMo devices my appointments, todos and emails/sms's are the focus. I like having all of that there at a glance.

-WinMo or WM

joozzt

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
As a developer:

Very satisfied, love the principallly minimal design of WM6.5. They did a good job in getting the maximum result in as little time as possible. I find HTC?s stuff overwhelmingly chaotic and even boring because of all the same visual transitions you have to see over and over again.
Don't use daily, only to see where MS is going now and then.
Thought of adding to supported platforms, but quickly went back to WM seeing (last year and last week) the infancy of the Android OS SDK. I don't think this will change much in the future.
Ha, don't get me started, WM is the Linux under the Smartphones.
Develop for WM and using the same source-code and a flick of a switch in Visual Studio you have software for billions of PC's.
See above. WP is Word Perfect :)

cenkaetaya

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
i like windows mobile because:

1. many apps are free and others can be torrented
2. lots of custumization
3. ROMS ^ kinda goes with that
4. tinkering and making it better
5. freedom - avoiding stupid subscriptions or limitations of features
6. ive been using windows for like 20 years .. soo.. ya..

-Android looks pretty good
-Anything else... i dont really need. WM does everything and will do everything. Its easier to screw with and you feel more free, eventhough its MS

even android has that (mac) feel of, everything is integrated and part of itself

in windows, its just you
your phone
and no limitations

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site

I love this question... I am just loving my WinMo 6.1 powered TP2 stock (with just a few minor tweaks for power and memory)... It does everything I need, almost to the point that I can go a week now without having to access my work computer. Email a PDF, DOC or XLS file, no problem... Edit, correct and resend, got it...

Overall, coming from BB OS 5.0 (and playing with some of the newer Android devices) WinMo isn't as pretty in some areas, but it's still very very functional. I can't wait to see what improvements are made with 7.0, but for now, the only part that gets me going is the horrible Facebook & Twitter support - so thank goodness for Skyfire's integration!

I usually experiment with the newest ROM's, just like the OS leaks from Crackberry. It's fun, but overall, I need my phone to do what it does best - organize my life and let me stay in contact with clients. The Berry did a great job of that, but with so many issues in the software (Storm 1 was my prior device of choice) I had to find something more reliable. The TP2 is everything I need in a phone, and has a great keyboard to boot!

I think if HTC does a good job of integrating Sense into both WinMo and Android, the next step will be their own device software (ala Samsung's Bada) where both Android and WinMo lose out on a major hardware partner. I think long term, Google will run Android and have a private label handset (probably made by HTC), Microsoft will come out with the ZunePhone or the zPhone as we like to imagine... Not because they have to, but because they want to. The ZuneHD is getting good press and will move forward - add in a phone and poof!

I think all the major platforms are great. There isn't one above another for any one reason. I like WinMo because it just works. No crashes, no memory leaks, no downtime on data or voice because something locked up. It just does what it does.

I guess if you were going to break down the 'reason' I returned to WinMo after 2+ years with a Berry, it would have to be the selection of hardware is better for WinMo. I went from a Dell Axim30 to a MotoQ, then to a Pearl (8130) and a Storm... as the Berry hardware got closer to what my Dell was 5 years ago, I realized that I missed WinMo's interface and software a bit more than I was letting on.

I think the biggest bummer that WinMo users are facing is all the software that is being written as 'new' is coming to other platforms. I bet the dev's are all 'waiting' to see what MS does with 7 or doesn't do with 7 before committing any more resources to it. Nothing like designing a new program to have them toss the OS out the window in 3 weeks...

Um... Windows Mobile? Really? It's just WinMo man... :)

jgjackson

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys!

Here are a couple of questions I have to get it started:

I'll definitely be back with more questions and am excited to hear what you guys say! Thanks in advance!

> 1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now?
> Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7
> (or whatever it's called)?

Despite what the non-microsoft fanboys blog, the truth is the rest of the world is till trying to catch up with Windows 6.1, let alone 6.5 or 7. I'm not a big fan of touch flow because it isn't configurable enough. I prefer either the standard Windows Today screen with SPB Pocket Plus's Today plugin or SPB Mobile Shell (I actually use both) with some hacks.

> 2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone?
> How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?

I don't use custom ROMs, but I do use SPB PocketPlus and SPB Mobile Shell with some hacks.

> 3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical
> destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)

And loose my software investment? I don't htink so.

> 4. What do you like about Windows Phone that no other platform offers?

Remote Desktop Client alone is worth the price of admission. Windows is actually the most open platform out there as you can install anything on it without having to have Microsoft/Apple/Google/whoever give it the stamp of approval. While itunes and it's clones are nice and convenient, Windows Mobile has had Handango.com as a de facto store for ages and almost all applications tie the license to the user name plugged into the phone which makes it easy to move applications from phone to phone as you move from device to device.

> 5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile

A Windows Phone runs Windows Mobile OS.

waldo15

Apr 21, 2006
Visit site

I'll definitely be back with more questions and am excited to hear what you guys say! Thanks in advance!

1) Definitely not satisfied. WM 6.5 seemed to be a good promise but after delivery it feel way short of the levels I was hoping for; also seeing how other OSes are gaining momentum (i.e. Android devices are getting a big push these days), one but wonders what the heck is MS thinking about doing and why is taking so long. Not to mention the iPhone and its OS/app strong play.

2) I have not yet cooked any ROM and/or installed a customized ROM in any smartphone yet. I may definitely try it next time I get a new phone just for the learning experience. I feel a bit hesitant to do it on my main phone though.

3) I gotta admit the Droid marketing campaign got me thinking into it, however what may finally push me into doing it is Nexus One; it all depends how that plays out once Google officially releases it to the masses...

4) Perhaps the best thing that WM has going for is the strong multitasking ability, as well as the openess to install new apps as well as try out new things (cooked ROMs for example). Also another bit point in my book is the relatively close compatibility with the Desktop. I am tied in one way or another to Outlook, MS office for PC and standard PC apps; in several respects the Windows Phones are a very similar experience to the full desktop experience... but that also impplies all the negative connotations involved in using a Windows OS as well.

5) Call it a force of habit, but to me they are still Windows Mobile phones.

iunknown

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
1. Happy with 6.5, eagerly waiting for WM7
2. Yup, Custom ROMs all the way... have been using since WM5. Though I like the Titanium, I do apply SPB mobile shell or Manilla every now & then.
3. Android... thought about it; might do it but it would have to be waaaaaaaay better than WM6.5 + Manilla/SPB-MS for me to switch.
4. Customizability... Android is promising here as well though.
5. Windows Mobile or WinMo

pmjohnson99

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft needs to embrase the name "WinMo", though it can be comicaly misconstrued it works well 'cause it's short and flows.

Like Apple did with the name/brand "Mac". Does anyone say "Machintosh" anymore?

Lil_Sunshine#WN

Feb 2, 2008
Visit site
1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)
I'm satisfied with the way HTC Touch Pro2. I hadn't used a WinMo touch screen device since my Samsung i730 which was a God awful, enormous, battery vampire, brick. I shocked at how much I'm loving my HTC Touch Pro2.

Using the stock ROM. I cannot be bothered with all that flashing.

Android will definitely be the next platform that I try. Just waiting for the platform to mature a little bit. I have to say, it's growing up pretty fast.

Mortplayer, BeyondPod, WMA-DRM audiobooks from my local library, and ebooks from my library.

5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile?
It's Windows Mobile or WinMo

joecatskill

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
1) I am somewhat happy with my Verizon Omnia coming from a Treo 700p. I do need to reset my phone occasionally which bums me out but I love the ability to customize the look and feel to fit my momentary wishes. Actually wanted the Pre first but not on Verizon so I got this.

2) No I haven't flashed a cooked ROM mostly since I don't know were to find a 6.5 ROM for the Omnia (a little scared too).

3) Haven't thought of going andriod though I did play with one in a Verizon store -as you figured, not a good experience.

4) Again I love the flexibility to customize the looks and sounds of the phone plus my workplace is all microsoft office exchange so having all my data in one place makes me MUCH more effective.

5) Windows Mobile for me!

Last edited:

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
It looks to me as if most of the people commenting on windows mobile are split right down themiddle when it comes to satisfaction. It seems the die hard people are for the most part satisfied and maybe some of the newbies are a bit more on the opposite side of that argument!

I'm not so sure. I feel that many Windows Mobile users have stayed with the platform in it's current state because they're:

1. Requiring an Existing Compatibility
  2. Content With Current Capabilities / Resistant to Change
  3. Hold-outs for Windows Mobile 7
There are a number great arguments for sticking with Windows Mobile, but few draws for new smartphone users outside of simply device availability (and boy, some of those devices are fairly lustworthy). Ideally, Windows Mobile 7 will fix much of this next year.

A side note... I'm personally not all that crazy about the name "Windows Phone."

mxian003

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

1. Not completely satisfied, but it fits me the best.
2. There seem to be very few WinMo phones that come out without some type of UI customization anymore. I think everyone I know who has had a WinMo phone has tried a custom ROM.
3. Yes and Android is closer to WinMo than anything else out there.
4. The Today screen is a big one. Another thing is that Live for Mobile lets me have the same contacts and calendar synch'd on phone, Outlook on the desktop and web pretty easily.
5. WinMo.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon