CrackBerry Kevin Goes Windows Mobile, Smartphone Round Robin 2009

Kevin Michaluk

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
Greetings Windows Phone Users!!

Week #2 of the 2009 Smartphone Round Robin has me on Windows Phones, namely the AT&T Tilt 2 and the HTC HD2. Man oh Man is the screen on the HD2 insanely huge.

As I work towards my final review, I need some help from everybody here at WM Experts. I need to know things like:

a) what are the strengths / weaknesses from your point of view of these devices
b) what are your views on where Windows Mobile is now (as a platform, both WM itself and with HTC doing their layering stuff on top)
c) where do think Windows Phones are going? what do you want to see next?
d) what do you think BlackBerry users would immediately like about Windows phones? what would be gain? what we lose (other than BlackBerry Messenger!)
e) how's the app situation? how's the game situation? quantity and quality, where would you rank them in the smartphone space?

and lastly, I'd just like to get some stories from all the hardcore users here about how you use/integrate your device into your daily life. I sort of look at it like I do with BlackBerry... there's BlackBerry users, and then there are people using a BlackBerry. I kind of think the hardcore Windows Phone users are like the hardcore Windows Phone users.... it's hard to switch away as you're so dependent on it. So I'd like to know what makes Windows Phones so indispensable to those who rely on them for their daily life.

Thanks in advance!!

Kevin

es_bih

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the actual WM os is a huge part. While not easy to work with (on touch screens at least - without tweaks), it has an amazing array of applications, and of course a huge amount of free ones. Other than that you can flash it with a customized ROM (OS - think a hybrid OS on BB, but actually tweaking native apps to an extent - such as battery life, etc). It really is a laptop in your hands from that perspective.

Try Opera Mobile and Skyfire. You won't be disappointed. The other thing is Microsoft Office - for one it doesn't cost 70 bucks like Docs2Go.

pmjohnson99

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
As a bb user I think the availability for apps is very attractive. The fact that there really is "There's an app for that..." attictude in WinMo. You really are limited by your Google stamina. And most of them are free.

onlineaddy

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
a) connected anywhere, any time
b) needs to catch up to other mobile platforms
c) Microsoft is sure to spend more resources to improve the platform.
d) better integration with Microsoft desktop products
e) need more productivity tools and higher-end games

cafe_civet

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
a) Hardware is great. Needs WM 7.0, haha
b) Still waiting for the upgrade
c) Would like to see them do to WM what Windows 7 did for the desktop
d) Like the ability to install apps on SD card. Miss efficient OS
e) Apps are powerful but cumbersome. If they could add the ease of use of Apple, they'd be a force.

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
A. Hardware. Power, customization, Openness.
B. i think it is still a very usable system but it is in need of some updating to be competative in the consumer market. there are a couple of private applications that will never be available for closed system phones.
C. I think Microsoft is trying to work toward total integration of Windows Media center, Zune, Xbox and Windows mobile.
D. Right now There are some better browser options for windows mobile but I know that is about to change. I don't know current Blackberry systems that well but the ones I have used were very business centric and didn't do much as far as media.
E. There have always been applications for windows mobile long before there was ever an app store. Most of them are easy to use and some add ease of operation like Mobile shell.

As I had mentioned above there are some applications that will not run on any other platform and likely will not be unless they allow another way of installing. I use mine for bible study, email, some light web browsing. and staying in contact with family and workmates.

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

I think being able to easily modify and customize different aspects of the OS is a huge plus, but the drawback being the phones can be buggy sometime.

b) what are your views on where Windows Mobile is now (as a platform, both WM itself and with HTC doing their layering stuff on top)

WindowsMobile is not that impressive as it's been the same forever now, so HTC adding what they can visually is a huge plus.

I don't see where they're going next, but I'd like to see a good visual OS without the phone company taking over.

d) what do you think BlackBerry users would immediately like about Windows phones? what would be gain? what we lose (other than BlackBerry Messenger!)

I think they'd like being able to communicate across multiple mediums, but I think you'd lose the excellent battery life of the Blackberrys.

e) how's the app situation? how's the game situation? quantity and quality, where would you rank them in the smartphone space?

Apps are about the same quantity and quality for business related across the board: both cases you really shop outside the stores. But gaming....I don't game on my cell phone so I can't say.

and lastly, I'd just like to get some stories from all the hardcore users here about how you use/integrate your device into your daily life. I sort of look at it like I do with BlackBerry... there's BlackBerry users, and then there are people using a BlackBerry. I kind of think the hardcore Windows Phone users are like the hardcore Windows Phone users.... it's hard to switch away as you're so dependent on it. So I'd like to know what makes Windows Phones so indispensable to those who rely on them for their daily life.

The fact that it does everything for me. I've got email on my Tilt for staying connected. AIM and Facebook for communication. A 3G cell phone for phone call quality. Music via microSD slot. Videos galore. The best thing is the built in GPS. That + TomTom = the best replacement for a car GPS. No data. It's perfect.

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I use my phone everyday from chatting with friends on facebook to giving people in my classes free Wi-Fi! The uses for Windows Mobile are almost endless especially with new hardware like my Tilt 2!!! Gaming is also AMAZING!if you know where to look....NFS undercover is a good starter game as the graphics are the best yet that ive seen for WinMo!

pischk

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I love my Windows Phone!

Greetings Windows Phone Users!!
I like the ease of use in the newer Windows Phone 6.5.x OS, as well as the compatibility and easy/full integration with my Windows-based desktops, whether at work or home. I also like the high availability of QUALITY apps and the idea that they'll eventually be available in a single location (Windows Marketplace). Even though other devices are claiming victory, there "upgrades" are centered around being more of an enterprise device (like Windows Phone).

The primary weakness is Microsoft's old paradigm of the Windows Mobile device as primarily a business device. Because of such, I think they assumed each device would be supported by an IT person. However, I do see Microsoft shifting away from this kind of thinking.

The platform is slowly making the shift from the business world paradigm to a consumer-based paradigm. Things that used to require the specific help of an IT person are becoming more automated and easier to use.

As far as HTC, they are providing value to what they create. In the same way, there are still many other skinning programs available that do just as much or more than HTC does. Just the same, its great to get some of HTC's advanced functions "out of the box."

As a side note - I wish Phone Carriers would be restricted from adding their BLOATWARE to these phones and slowing down many of these fine devices and OS to snail speed. By removing the bloatware, many Windows Phones show a very significant improvement in performance.

I think they're going in the right direction, however, I'd like to see an earlier release of Windows Mobile 7 than 4th Quarter 2010. Again, I'd also like to see greater controls on the Phone Carriers. They should not be allowed to load their Bloatware and "cripple" these wonderful Windows Phone devices.

I think you'd enjoy the ease of use of the e-mail system, texting and you'll enjoy the larger keyboards on the keyboard equipped devices. If you go for a non-touch device, I think you'll be wishing for that hardware keyboard. Personally, I don't want to give up any screen "real estate" for a screen-based keyboard.

Also, I think you'd give up multiple calendars. I'd like to see Windows upgrade to allow for multiple calendar integration.

I think this is an area where Windows Phone really excels. There is such a great range of products to choose from and they're not "cheesy" like many of the iPhone apps I've seen. Not only do they consistently work, but most developers provide ongoing support without milking you dry (unlike their Windows desktop counterparts). I've been using Windows CE since version 2.11 and have always found excellent apps that consistently perform as good or better than expected.

Also, since most of these developers create out of their passion for these devices, they really create awe inspiring apps that do more and their not modularly developed to be sold piece-by-piece.

Gaming is pretty good too ... plenty of Arcade action (Guitar Hero, Tetris, PacMan, Bubble Breaker, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Narnia: Prince Caspian, Midnight Pool, Lunar Tilt, Block Breaker, etc.), Board games (Monopoly, Scrabble, etc.), Action Games (Call of Duty, Need for Speed, Eagle Eye, Spiderman, Anthelion, etc.), Card Games (Solitaire, Hearts, UNO, Texas Hold 'Em, Spades, Phase 10, etc.), Brain games (Big Kahuna Words, Brain Up, Puzzle Quest, etc.) and plenty more. Yes, I actually own all of these and many more.

f) I'd just like to get some stories from all the hardcore users here about how you use/integrate your device into your daily life.
Easy enough ... you have the obvious uses like e-mail, text messages, Facebook, Twitter and Internet surfing. Working in the IT Department, my Windows Phone device also helps me on the go. I can create, modify and close Help Desk tickets on the go using Spiceworks' Tickets Anywhere (and its free too). I can provide Remote Desktop support, ping Internet devices, SSH into servers, etc. I also use GPS, WiFi and WiFiFoFum to track down "rogue" wireless routers in our office building.

And then there's things like weather apps, free GPS-enabled apps like Google Maps, amAze, Waze, GCZII and others. I like to use the speech-enabled search engines like Bing for when I'm on the go in the car ... as well as Voice Commander for controlling my Windows Phone device while driving (phone calls, "reading" appointments, tasks, playing media through my car stereo system, etc.). While I'm not one to wear a bluetooth headset everywhere I go, I do use it extensively in the car, so I can keep my Safe Driver discount! ;)

I also like to use the Internet when I'm shopping to do live price comparisons ... this helps me cut down on bad impulse buys and also investigate sales pitches! :D Its funny to watch the face of a salesman when they ask what you're doing and you tell them you're Googling what they just told you. :D

I could go on and on, but I'm going to finish this rave talking about how much I love having a camera at my disposal, especially having a 16 month old child. I can always capture those special moments via pic or video ... quick, easy and at a high resolution too! Then, I can use my phone as a digital display to show off those special moments, or upload to Facebook or Twitter.

P.S. And my phone (HTC Fuze/Raphael) is pretty indestructible too. When my 16 month old gets too rowdy or "wiggly" while shopping, I can activate her playlist on Mobile Media Player, lock the phone and hand it to her ... and she will be calm and happy ... that's priceless!!!!

Last edited:

noobler

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I like my windows phone.

Windows in one word is customization. Custom ROMs, all kinds of programs (mostly for free), tones of experts (here and XDA, PPCGeeks, etc) if you want to do it, you just have to look.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
what are the strengths / weaknesses from your point of view of these devices?

Before it was common, Windows Mobile had developed a strength in customization. That, and it's attempts not to hide the dirty aspects away from us. We see everything and can do whatever we want with it, now we just need that in an updated capacity with Windows Mobile 7. Looking at Windows 7, Zune, Xbox... their muscle in pleasing UI should not be dismissed, just keep it open. As for its (significant) weaknesses...

what are your views on where Windows Mobile is now (as a platform, both WM itself and with HTC doing their layering stuff on top)?

...While the branding is good, but the product is honestly no longer relevant in today's ecosystem--they're faced with an operating system that is satisfying an increasingly smaller community with little generating interest in new participants. But(!), all is not lost. Google seems to be showing that you can successflly release your own hardware without cannibalizing the growing community of partner phones. Microsoft may need to borrow this "first-party flagship, third-party followers" approach in order to revitialize the energy of their platform.

what do you think BlackBerry users would immediately like about Windows phones? what would be gain? what we lose (other than BlackBerry Messenger!)

Device variety stands out off the top of my head. If you're looking at a blackberry and don't want a candy-bar querty, what can they offer you? In thruth, not much. There's the Storm representing their full-touchscreen market, but not much else beyond that
how's the app situation? how's the game situation? quantity and quality, where would you rank them in the smartphone space?

It's not well--In either category. This was one of the strongest strengths of Windows Mobile, and they let it slide into obsolescence. There are a handful of token new apps in the market, along with older apps from dozens of companies who are still attempting to live in pre-iphone era pricing structures. Microsoft is going to have to take the lead here and bring in some solid developers to succeed here. Also, integration with their own existing platforms gives them a huge potential advantage (Zune, Xbox, Office).

WinMoDoug

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
With WinMobile, I like the fact that I can program and configure the device to do pretty much anything I like. In general the UI is a generation behind, but I think it is catching up quickly.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
WinMo in terms of capability of the OS is still ranked up near the top. The biggest downfall is the sexiness of the UI.

In my opinion, the only thing Blackberry users would be missing out on if they were to move to WM is Blackberry messenger. Assuming a WM Pro phone layed out similar to Blackberrys. Everytime I talk to a berry user, they're always touting the keyboard and blackberry messenger.

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
What are the strengths / weaknesses from your point of view of these devices..
The main strength of Windows Mobile at this point is device choice!There's something from HTC, Samsung, Palm, etc. in every device category (candybar, flip, full touch screen, etc.) to suit the needs of just about any consumer. Of course, Android is now slowly getting into this game as well.

Fobok

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Mainly posting for the contest.

I don't know much about Windows Mobile except that it seems to be everywhere. As Tacos said, there seems to be a lot of phones using it.

Personally, I'm still hoping the HD2 ends up on Rogers in Canada.

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
a) Hardware wise, it would be tough to top the features of either of these devices. That said, they're not the most pocketable but are still great looking devices as well. I think you'll find the weaknesses to be largely that Microsoft hasn't capitalized on the opportunities to create a cohesive ecosystem with Win7 (media center as well!), Zune, and xbox live...and so we wait for WinPhone7.
b) HTC's stuff is great (We're kind of relying on this sort of thing right now)...and Microsoft's 6.5 step is a good step...it's just not a big enough step. Even though Titanium is solid, manufacturers have already jumped ship to create their own custom UI's. Mostly...just not enough to be excited about right now.
c) better integration with other microsoft products. Give us slick UI elements to implement into apps...I'm fine with HTC and everyone else running away with custom homescreens...but some consistancy in 3rd party app UI's would be nice.
d) You'd gain much better web browsing (via Opera or Skyfire), a much more customizable phone. I think you will find more features available to you and less restricted by doing things RIM's way. However, BB phones features seem much better integrated with another, you may find using WM to feel a little jerky at times.
e) Underrated...there may be only 4-500 apps in the store...but there are thousands upon thousands of apps out there. Many quality apps do exist. It's not a far cry from the iphone (sheer size, no, but on quality...yes) and certainly holds it's own against android and BB.

Last edited:

Snowman81

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone every tried Blackberry Connect for Windows Mobile? I'm thinking the HD2 might be the perfect touch screen "blackberry".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes