Facebook : features, discussions, rants, issues, solutions

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Facebook for Windows Phone 4.2

I get a phone icon as well. But....
I use chat in my 920 along with Facebook messenger in my iPad which sets the phone icon in chat window for others. It doesn't change the phone icon if I'm not online in my iPad. If someone pings, I still get the message on my phone. So, I get the phone icon in a dubious way. :)
I've seen this behavior with my sister name as well who uses an Lumia 800 + iPad.

You're right though in saying that WP chat definitely does not set phone icon in chat by itself. But if you use a compatible device, your friends will see the phone icon and you'll get the pings in your phone.

I did further testing: as I do not have any iOS or Android device, I set up a virtual machine in Virtualbox running Android and installed facebook messenger. The phone icon appears for me in the facebook chat. However once I connect my WP to the facebook chat (I tested every status possible), the phone icon gets overwritten by the green online dot again. it's simply impossible!
According to a moderator on the Microsoft forums, the problem is due to the fact, that facebook sees WPs as computers instead of mobile phones.

I guess there are only 2 solutions:
1) facebook messenger gets a WP version
2) the messaging app gets updated (more likely in my opinion)

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to upload video to FB w/o compressing?

No way at all to change any settings. I've also noticed that picture quality is slightly reduced when uploading from a desktop PC too, although nowhere near as bad as uploading from the phone.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Facebook for Windows Phone 4.2

I did further testing: as I do not have any iOS or Android device, I set up a virtual machine in Virtualbox running Android and installed facebook messenger. The phone icon appears for me in the facebook chat. However once I connect my WP to the facebook chat (I tested every status possible), the phone icon gets overwritten by the green online dot again. it's simply impossible!
According to a moderator on the Microsoft forums, the problem is due to the fact, that facebook sees WPs as computers instead of mobile phones.

I guess there are only 2 solutions:
1) facebook messenger gets a WP version
2) the messaging app gets updated (more likely in my opinion)

I would love to get to the bottom of this mystery. For me and the two other WP phones in my house, the mobile icon works. The only thing I don't see is the timer that shows the elapsed time since someone was online, but I think that does only work for the iOS and Android messenger apps.

Eagerly

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Facebook getting updated? Where is the WP8 love?

True to form as per my earlier post, I could stand the lack of interest and support from MS no longer. I took my Lumia920 to my local electrical store, lost some money by part exchanging it and returned to the Apple fold...Nice try MS, but very poorly executed. I bet I am not the last to leave, you better buck your ideas up and fast....Is that the sound of the horn on the sinking ship I hear.....

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

True to form as per my earlier post, I could stand the lack of interest and support from MS no longer. I took my Lumia920 to my local electrical store, lost some money by part exchanging it and returned to the Apple fold...Nice try MS, but very poorly executed. I bet I am not the last to leave, you better buck your ideas up and fast....Is that the sound of the horn on the sinking ship I hear.....

Are YOU joking ? :) ... I love my red Lumia 920 ... and by the way, I would not use cp with 4" display - it is just too small :)

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Are YOU joking ? :) ... I love my red Lumia 920 ... and by the way, I would not use cp with 4" display - it is just too small :)

Getting off topic.....
But for someone who uses facebook a lot, windows phone is just not an option. iOS or android are just so far ahead.

(this coming from a heavy facebook user with a lumia 920 who used to own an iphone 4. NO REGRETS)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Getting off topic.....
But for someone who uses facebook a lot, windows phone is just not an option. iOS or android are just so far ahead.

(this coming from a heavy facebook user with a lumia 920 who used to own an iphone 4. NO REGRETS)

I use facebook every day, so I think that I am heavy user :) ... and with Windows phone, as I mentioned already ... it is good option for me :)

njnAbat

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Facebook HD seems to be a nice application for Facebook lovers..hope they keep updating it with new features.Live tiles is something they need to work upon ..

ivorhooper

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
As a person who works away in Angola a lot, I use facebook to keep in contact with my friends and gf back home (uk). Since buying the Lumia 920 in Feb, I haven't received a toast, chat message notification, and my live tile has never updated since I've had it. Facebook chat is turned on in the messaging app, wifi is turned on when the screen is off, and I have enabled toast and live tiles in facebook app. Power saver isnt turned on.
All I ask for is a notification that I have a message on facebook instantly. How hard can it be? It's so far behind IOS and android (I have used both- iphone 5, and Nexus 4) that it's untrue.
It's a big deal breaker for me.
Other than that, the Lumia 920 is great!

njnAbat

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
As a person who works away in Angola a lot, I use facebook to keep in contact with my friends and gf back home (uk). Since buying the Lumia 920 in Feb, I haven't received a toast, chat message notification, and my live tile has never updated since I've had it. Facebook chat is turned on in the messaging app, wifi is turned on when the screen is off, and I have enabled toast and live tiles in facebook app. Power saver isnt turned on.
All I ask for is a notification that I have a message on facebook instantly. How hard can it be? It's so far behind IOS and android (I have used both- iphone 5, and Nexus 4) that it's untrue.
It's a big deal breaker for me.
Other than that, the Lumia 920 is great!
yes ,there is no doubt that it is far behind but I recommend Facebook HD app for you if u are a heavy Facebook user.But live tile is yet to feature in it as well.Need to wait for some more time.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So was writing an updated review and checking the last updated date it says 11/4/2013 which was yesterday, but the version number is v4.2, its still the same. whats the point for them to lie on the last updated date?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So was writing an updated review and checking the last updated date it says 11/4/2013 which was yesterday, but the version number is v4.2, its still the same. whats the point for them to lie on the last updated date?

Maybe they just made some minor update for it ... and that changed update date too ...

xerxesrem

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I need help!

*im new on windows!
*i believe on windows!
even my family has some oder phones-.-

# my question guys is my facebook app doesn't show my notifications (its shows but takes like 30mins) for my facebook chat.-i mean the facebook chat that i receive on my messenge tile- some times it doesn't sync or received message! Can any one help for a new kid on MC phones :) im using HTC X8-

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I need help!

*im new on windows!
*i believe on windows!
even my family has some oder phones-.-

# my question guys is my facebook app doesn't show my notifications (its shows but takes like 30mins) for my facebook chat.-i mean the facebook chat that i receive on my messenge tile- some times it doesn't sync or received message! Can any one help for a new kid on MC phones :) im using HTC X8-

I really think that this is some new server problem now. I have a similar problem now (it has been working well before) ... I can send fb messages well through messaging, but receiving is only sometimes, just few messages - so the most fb chat messages are not coming to my cp and about these few incoming fb chat messages, some will come like double messages (even they are not double messages on my computer) ... hope that MS will fix it soon ...

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I really think that this is some new server problem now. I have a similar problem now (it has been working well before) ... I can send fb messages well through messaging, but receiving is only sometimes, just few messages - so the most fb chat messages are not coming to my cp and about these few incoming fb chat messages, some will come like double messages (even they are not double messages on my computer) ... hope that MS will fix it soon ...

Ok I thought that it was only me!!!! Because for the past day or two, I will sometime get the chat straight from the built-in messaging, and sometime I will get a notification from JDB Facebook that I have a reply or new message but my built-in messaging will not show that...

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
this is the same old crap to be honest. until Microsoft sorts out the notifications network we'll never have smooth notifications and until facebook develop a proper app we'll never get full notifications from Facebook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99