WP has no Apps and sucks...Read this!

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The author could have done a better comparison. But he does have some good points. His attention was to prove and reveal why do tech sites/people in general bash/dislike the Windows Phone app gap when it is so subjective (not everyone needs a banking app).

However he could have compare the Windows Store in general rather than Windows Phone. I say general as the Windows Store from different platforms is combining.

Basically he thinks that why so little people compare app gaps when OSX store doesn't even get trashed at for their pathetic apps.

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I totally think the app gap is subjective, its hard to compare these types of OS. I think the real issue facing windows phone is lack of visibility to consumers, people don't know about them, carriers dont push them, and developers wont create apps till wp is mainstream.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oses for Personal computers like Mac and Windows 7, 8 do not need an App Store because you can install apps outside of it. Also, these days people tend to do a lot of things on the move - using their smartphones. So, it's pointless to expect apps like YouTube, instagram, etc on desktop OSes. They are not there for a reason - people rather use the full fledged browsers to watch Youtube on PCs.
Desktop OSes are expected to play along with smartphones these days - that is the reason HandOff and Continuity are big deals with iOS/OSX.
The article appears to be an output of an irrational mind.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so its obvious whos a WP fan and whos not. There isnt much objectivity here. The article proves that marketing is EVERYTHING, nothing more. You watch an Apple commercial and they give you this make believe picture that your life will be improved with their product. From a doctor being able to treat a patient to a girl editing a song to sing a duet with her grandmother. OBVIOUSLY thats only capable from an Apple product. Im awaiting the day the ad comes that shows kids in Africa eating a full meal and at the end they just show the Apple logo. There marketing is brilliant to those that dont research what they are buying. THAT BEING SAID.... there IS an app gap guys, cmon. The Betas are ridiculous. The 3rd party apps in the store consist mostly of web scrapes, its sad. Microsoft has done little to entice original apps into the store. Hell, PAY THEM TO MAKE IT FOR YOU. Squash this argument once and for all. Outside of the big name apps, the biggest gap is the little guy apps. The local banks, power companies etc. They have apps for ios and android but not for WP. And they wont... Market share. This whole argument comes down to that. WP is pretty late in the game and wanting the same success as those that earned it for years. They need to MARKET themselves better, period. Show a commercial of a couple arguing on one side and sitting on a couch playing a game with each other on their respective Surfaces on the other. Domestic violence is a hot button issue, say that Windows devices stop domestic violence. It'd be no more ridiculous than the Apple commercials. FACT: an iPad has cured AIDS.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
It's clear to everyone that WP has less apps. But the question is do they have the apps I need? Yes and No? For my windows phone experience there are only 2 apps that I miss from my iphone and Android experience.
Those are my banking app and my credit card swiper, meaning paypal, square or quicken. That said I have a 8 inch Samsung tablet that I do my banking on and all credit card purchases from my clients . Do I wish they were on my windows phones....YES! But do I run around all over the internet shouting like a drama queen about the lack of them, hell NO. If there is app you have to have buy a $69 Android device and shut up.
Windows phone development is gonna be a ride that's slower than some of these drama queens can bare. I would suggest they get off now and leave it to us that appreciate the platform. I gave up a top of the line Android and a iphone to get to the windows platform and I love it. Android and iphone are great devices but the moment I realized that they were no longer the device for me, i didn't sit around in the Apple or Android forum bellyaching about it. If windows phone does not satisfy you, please move on to some platform with a bunch of apps that you can be happy with. Do us all a favor please.
Happy Holidays!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I lol'd at that article. One is a phone OS and the other is a desktop OS. That's completely apples to oranges. You don't do the same thing on both, how is that article even valid? I can appreciate the sentiment towards Windows Phone but that lack of apps on a desktop OS don't really matter as nearly all online services are accessed via the web browser. I'm typically platform agnostic liking both Microsoft and Apple products, but this article seems like a waste of bandwidth served to defend Windows Phone's lack of popular apps. That's the real problem, not the platforms lack of apps, those are there. The problem is lack of popular apps e.g. Snapchat.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Something everyone is forgetting is that Macs do not have the millions and millions of legacy apps that Windows does and so the store on the Mac is actually much more representative of the entire software domain available to run on a Mac. (Not everything for sure, but a large chunk of it).

Therefore to compare the Mac App Store with the Windows (or Windows Phone) App store is not that unreasonable. He's pointing out that no one questions a Mac's software portfolio despite it being lacking (in number) compared to Windows (phone) and yet Windows gets the hard sell all the time, not a Mac. Personally I agree with that premise.

The point doesn't change. There is legacy software Macs might not be able to use, but as one who isn't a Mac user, I can't really say what. The important thing is that the missing stuff is mostly legacy software. If a member of the general public bought a Mac today, that person would likely be able to will any wants and needs just from current software. Lacking support for years-old accounting or data entry software isn't the same to the masses as it is to a business. However, if someone goes an buys a Windows Phone or Windows 8.1 device today, that person will be met with current and future compromises. NBA GameTime isn't there. All Snapchat functionality was just ripped from users' hands, basically (and an official app isn't proven to be coming soon). Despite app developers' saying for months and years, "Windows Phone versions are in the works," we're still missing legitimate apps on the platform (even if they're things I don't use).

The point the author made is simply moronic though. He's talking about the OSX App Store as if it's the only real source of OSX software, and it's not even the MAJORITY source. Windows Phone misses out on basic applications and features of its competition, while on a mass-market scale, OSX suffers on the legacy gaming front more than anything else, and that's partially because Microsoft is so willing to help out opposing companies to gain marketshare, even if it hurts Microsoft's overall position with mobile.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I lol'd at that article. One is a phone OS and the other is a desktop OS. That's completely apples to oranges. You don't do the same thing on both, how is that article even valid? I can appreciate the sentiment towards Windows Phone but that lack of apps on a desktop OS don't really matter as nearly all online services are accessed via the web browser. I'm typically platform agnostic liking both Microsoft and Apple products, but this article seems like a waste of bandwidth served to defend Windows Phone's lack of popular apps. That's the real problem, not the platforms lack of apps, those are there. The problem is lack of popular apps e.g. Snapchat.

Well in a way they AREN'T Apples and Oranges.

If you compare Windows 8.1 to Mac - two desktop OS, we have 170k apps for Windows 8.1 plus all the legacy software vs what do we have for Apple? 23k?

Now, if you wait for this article to come around after 8-10 months, you have Windows 10 (a desktop and mobile OS) to compare with Mac or whatever OS. That Windows will have 700k apps on both desktop and mobile. What will Apple have on desktop? or mobile? or combined?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well in a way they AREN'T Apples and Oranges.

If you compare Windows 8.1 to Mac - two desktop OS, we have 170k apps for Windows 8.1 plus all the legacy software vs what do we have for Apple? 23k?

Now, if you wait for this article to come around after 8-10 months, you have Windows 10 (a desktop and mobile OS) to compare with Mac or whatever OS. That Windows will have 700k apps on both desktop and mobile. What will Apple have on desktop? or mobile? or combined?

The article mentioned Windows Phone directly. Even with these "700k" apps for Windows 10 not all will be optimized for mobile, devs are still gonna have to tweak a few things here and there to optimize code for specific screen sizes. Not all devs are willing to do that for Windows Phone look at all the dead apps how long has Instagram been in beta? It's not hard to admit that that app was just a placeholder to get people to shut up. That's pretty sad. Oh and btw iOS alone has over 1.3 million apps in the app store.

Edit: I forgot to mention, 8-10 months time is an ample amount of time for people to further give up on Windows Phone and the degradation of its market share.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The article mentioned Windows Phone directly. Even with these "700k" apps for Windows 10 not all will be optimized for mobile, devs are still gonna have to tweak a few things here and there to optimize code for specific screen sizes. Not all devs are willing to do that for Windows Phone look at all the dead apps how long has Instagram been in beta? It's not hard to admit that that app was just a placeholder to get people to shut up. That's pretty sad. Oh and btw iOS alone has over 1.3 million apps in the app store.

Edit: I forgot to mention, 8-10 months time is an ample amount of time for people to further give up on Windows Phone and the degradation of its market share.

So lets take this further. 10 months and WP does poorly. We get no new apps. Still, 700k apps on WP and desktop. Lets say only 50% are going to be compatible aka universal apps. Still 350k apps that run on phone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Do those 1.3 million run on all four form factors on iOS? I bet that encourages people to buy iOS because who needs app on desktop that doesn't even support touch screens right?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So lets take this further. 10 months and WP does poorly. We get no new apps. Still, 700k apps on WP and desktop. Lets say only 50% are going to be compatible aka universal apps. Still 350k apps that run on phone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Do those 1.3 million run on all four form factors on iOS? I bet that encourages people to buy iOS because who needs app on desktop that doesn't even support touch screens right?

What you say here is logical. By all counts, a universal app store should help WP take off. But will this be the holy grail? We've been hearing since like forever "after this update or after we get Instagram..." I've come to the conclusion that I'll believe it when I see it. Nothing has worked so far. WP sales remain stagnant. Sales last quarter were flat, which means it actually lost market share due to higher sales overall. This might work, but then again, it might not.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What you say here is logical. By all counts, a universal app store should help WP take off. But will this be the holy grail? We've been hearing since like forever "after this update or after we get Instagram..." I've come to the conclusion that I'll believe it when I see it. Nothing has worked so far. WP sales remain stagnant. Sales last quarter were flat, which means it actually lost market share due to higher sales overall. This might work, but then again, it might not.
if Microsoft release their new apps with quality, I'm sure the third party devs will follow.

greggtwep16

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I think the store certainly has "enough" apps. Every once in awhile I get frustrated that something I need isn't there but most of the time it's adequate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon