The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-28-2018 10:42 PM
124 12345
tools
    Get app support and you might survive

your life depended on it before, you couldn't do it
    your hardware was fine, your OS was ahead of its time
    but you couldn't get apps

I believe this might be a bit unrealistic, and maybe a bit expensive for the company but oh well...

The first thing I would do is arrange a 'dream phone' competition and arrange it in schools/colleges (Kids are pretty creative). Taking those designs into account and checking them I'd see the best ones.

I would ask google to make their app suite (google maps/ youtube/ google chrome etc.) support windows phone, lets face it, we can't live without them. I'd also ask most social networks to at least port their ios apps to windows (Instagram). If they refuse, I'd ask Microsoft's own engineers to create those apps with their public APIs or at least web wrappers.

Then I would divide the phone's creation into teams: Experience, Design, Connectivity, Quality, Longevity and Performance. Experience would take care of making the device easy to use and focus mostly on usability. The Design team would make the device look elegant. Connectivity team would add support for every single device they can: smart lights, smart cars, smartwatches etc. and better wifi as compared to other phones. The quality team would make the device have a premium feel, from unboxing to holding the phone for the first time, longevity team would focus on making the device good enough to survive in an average person's use cases. The performance team would try to optimize the device to make the device fast and have a long battery life etc.

The phone would have an android and a windows option, just to stay safe.

Then comes marketing, I'd launch it under the well established Surface name - the Surface Phone. the device should have a short and awesome motto like "The Phone for Everyone" or "The Ultimate Phone". Now I'd launch an ad campaign and focus more on the phone's experience rather than specs (Most people don't care about that).The ads should feature the tagline, You've tried windows on your PC, time to use it on your phone, or something like that. Every single phone image should look professional and the phone should look cool.

Then i'd send those phones to most unboxing channels before launch, free advertisement right??? I'd send both android and windows versions.

The price doesn't matter much to most people apparantly (iPhone X and Note 8) but still to be safe I'd preferably keep it under $700, that's not necessary though.

the launch date would be in the start of summer vacations, that's when most people (teens) buy new phones.

remember that the feasibility of this project is indeed questionable and I'm welcome to suggestions .

tl;dr: Design an awesome windows phone, Ask Google and social networks for apps, market it right and launch it before summer vacations.
    12-07-2017 01:24 PM
    I love my Lumia 950XL and my wife has the 650, they are great phones and so easy to use.
    Get MS to have a new range built by Nokia as the name still holds good value.
    Have a couple of very cheap models but with enough memory to run W10.
    Then build a couple of top end models. Make great play (advertising) on the fact they integrate so easily with the every day W10 PC or portable. Make syncing easier and more obvious as there are still difficulties with Office to W10 mobile.

For me the windows phone completes the circle with a PC
    12-07-2017 01:37 PM
    I would make a full windows 10 running smartphone with a lightweight android emulator built in able to run any app seamlessly along with a striking design like nokia used to do in the 2000's..that simple..everything else is cheap talk..
    12-07-2017 02:39 PM
    I would throw in 1TB storage for free, and allow it to be installed on devices made by several device manufacturers. For current O365 users (enterprise accounts), offer the continuum dock for free/discounted as well.
    12-07-2017 03:21 PM
    Using a 1520 and 950 XL as my daily driver. Ik like windows phone/windows 10 mobile.

I don't think there is an ideal solution, but if I was assigned as ceo of microsoft to save windows phone/10 mobile, I would consider this:

1. I would invest in xda developers to develop a system to be able to boot windows 10 mobile on any device on the market today. Naturally I want things to be as free as possible, but I can imagine, in the sense of business, perhaps it would be a fair compromise that users would have to sign up for at least a basic office 365 subscription. I think this would help open up a lot more markets to the windows platform. The experience may not be up to par with a great performance on every device, but it would at least open access to the ecosystem, community and store, and perhaps be inspired to invest further in the microsoft ecosystem. (Inspiration)
    2. I would invest to fasttrack the development of microsoft products and services on android and iOS and streamline the experience with products and services on windows 10. This is already happening today, but I'm guestimating a lot still needs to happen. Specifically office products, OneDrive, OneNote, Cortana and Microsoft Launcher for mainstream users get expanded in functionality, performance, stability and security. Next I would also develop a second launcher for fans and powerusers that encompass as much of the cshell experience for mobile as possible so that the windows phone experience, as a launcher shell is as much famiiliar as on curent windows phone devices, with many familiar UI elements and live tiles. I would try to expand the live tile functionality as well as an enticing wow factor, but still promise the access to the play store for apps. I haven't thought too much about a return of investment, but hoping that at least more users will adopt the launchers and productivity apps. Perhaps some necessity to have a office 365 subscription would help start that return. Buying into the subcription would also mean improved ease of synchronization with your business or pc. For devices supporting dex or continuum type functionality, The launcher will seemlessly show a familiar windows 10 shell, similar to continuum. Nothing can truly be 100% free in this world. Fair is fair. (motivation)
    Lastly, I would invest a third billion in streamlining Xamarin as a main and comprehenisble development dashboard and platform for developers. The idea would be to further make the platform more easy and effortles to code and develop an app once for all platforms at competitive plans for developers.
    4. invest in better marketing to promote windows mobility on android and iOS. Come with interesting business models for business to code for three platforms for the price of one.
    Return of investment will be more marketshare and potentially more users with an office 365 and cloud subscription. For larger businesses adoption of windows cloud and azure use could be more attractive to invest in as the windows platform is more easily accessible across devices and is platform agnostic. (adoption)
    12-07-2017 03:43 PM
    with Windows on ARM. Making it capable of running true widows 10 and win 32 is a serious game changer.
    12-07-2017 03:46 PM
    I believe this might be a bit unrealistic, and maybe a bit expensive for the company but oh well...

The first thing I would do is arrange a 'dream phone' competition and arrange it in schools/colleges (Kids are pretty creative). Taking those designs into account and checking them I'd see the best ones.

I would ask google to make their app suite (google maps/ youtube/ google chrome etc.) support windows phone, lets face it, we can't live without them. I'd also ask most social networks to at least port their ios apps to windows (Instagram). If they refuse, I'd ask Microsoft's own engineers to create those apps with their public APIs or at least web wrappers.

Then I would divide the phone's creation into teams: Experience, Design, Connectivity, Quality, Longevity and Performance. Experience would take care of making the device easy to use and focus mostly on usability. The Design team would make the device look elegant. Connectivity team would add support for every single device they can: smart lights, smart cars, smartwatches etc. and better wifi as compared to other phones. The quality team would make the device have a premium feel, from unboxing to holding the phone for the first time, longevity team would focus on making the device good enough to survive in an average person's use cases. The performance team would try to optimize the device to make the device fast and have a long battery life etc.

Then comes marketing, I'd launch it under the well established Surface name - the Surface Phone. the device should have a short and awesome motto like "The Phone for Everyone" or "The Ultimate Phone". Now I'd launch an ad campaign and focus more on the phone's experience rather than specs (Most people don't care about that).The ads should feature the tagline, You've tried windows on your PC, time to use it on your phone, or something like that. Every single phone image should look professional and the phone should look cool.

Then i'd send those phones to most unboxing channels before launch, free advertisement right??? I'd send both android and windows versions.

The price doesn't matter much to most people apparantly (iPhone X and Note 8) but still to be safe I'd preferably keep it under $700, that's not necessary though.

the launch date would be in the start of summer vacations, that's when most people (teens) buy new phones.

remember that the feasibility of this project is indeed questionable and I'm welcome to suggestions .

tl;dr: Design an awesome windows phone, Ask Google and social networks for apps, market it right and launch it before summer vacations.
    Microsoft has to re-design the OS for windows phone...
    And I have a good looking design for the phone.
    dgrn23 likes this.
    12-07-2017 04:20 PM

Agree with all you suggestion, I would target the Corporate Business and sell them the Continuum model, you already have a strong foothold in Business that is where you messed up in the first place, you should have had the foresight to have replaced Blackberry - Your Phones need to be priced correctly "even Free" with a copy of Win10 (dare I say it) get converting Android Apps to Windows 10 I'm sure we have the technology to do that now
    12-07-2017 04:38 PM
    Saving Windows mobiles by cool8man:

1. Acquire successful big name mobile companies: Spotify, Fitbit, Garmin like they did with Skype, LinkedIn and Minecraft.

2. Improve the Windows 10 UI and Edge with a focus on loading speed. Add Fluent design/Aero transparencies for everything including live tiles. Add the option to put Windows Gadgets on the Start Screen or Action Center. Round and smooth out the edges on tiles, apps, and displays to make them softer and more user friendly.

3. Move Edge development towards Progressive Web Apps which don't require app store installations. Establish a web standard so that all web browsers and operating systems run the same exact Progressive Web Apps just by anyone visiting the website once.

4. Finish development of Cshell and the 100% unification of Windows 10/MS Store across ARM, x86, x64.

5. Release revolutionary hardware products that blend product categories: the tablet that can replace your phone, the Fitbit smartwatch that can replace your phone, & a sleeker HoloLens built on ARM.

6. Open the HoloLens spec to Mixed Reality OEMs. Let them build Windows wearables with Microsoft's Cortana, Skype, Spotify, Garmin, Fitbit, Minecraft, Office preloaded. ARM devices could focus on mobility while Intel devices could focus on power (include belt plug-in for additional battery power). Develop discrete pointer/gesture recognition controller for HoloLens (the "mouse" needs to be invented.) Support smartphone or smartwatches for scrolling/text entry on HoloLens.

7. Sign deal with Amazon to make Kindle and Amazon Video the official content providers in MS Store, Xbox and Edge browser for books, movies and tv. In exchange Amazon will heavily promote Windows devices on their website and build Windows devices including Hololens-headsets with Alexa as the default AI instead of Cortana. Take advantage of the Google Amazon fight that is happening right now!

8. Sign a marketing deal to get HoloLens devices used by the NFL during broadcasts.

9. Allow the option to install Android app stores including Amazon's, but require high end hardware and do not advertise the feature heavily (see SteamVR support for Windows MR).

10. Sign deal with Roku, Sonos, Logitech and Tesla to make Cortana the default AI on their products.
    Last edited by cool8man; 12-07-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-07-2017 04:45 PM
    I'd get Windows phone. is dead and it's not coming back. Even if it were, developers just won't support it, so it's a moot point.

But here's what I WOULD do.

1. Build it Microsoft Launcher on Android to support live tiles, pivot and all the great design elements that differentiated Windows phone 7x and 8x. make it fast and lean.

2. Build in support for live tiles, deep linking and function pinning into every Microsoft first party app. It doesn't matter if third party apps support the launcher as long as MS's do.

3. Port the UWP framework and store to Android. Allow people to install and run the apps they own.

This would please a lot of wp fans, deliver a better experience to Android, and solve the app gap in one fell swoop.
    12-07-2017 04:45 PM
    I'll throw my hat in the ring thusly. I think we can all agree that the OS itself is light enough to be able to run on even low-spec'd devices so that being said, releasing hardware with killer battery life and excellent cameras would be a good start. But I feel there's something not being talked about and that is feature parity. What good is a fingerprint scanner that only unlocks the phone? Make it so it logs on to apps like the competition. What good is having NFC if there isn't widespread mobile payment support and even less NFC printing support? That's just hardware-related feature parity, let's delve into the world of apps where Microsoft has historically been lacking. It's irritating when a simple app like CamScanner on Windows can't export to Dropbox, Box or anything other than OneDrive. It's bad enough that there are few apps and some popular ones that left, it's made worse when they don't offer a pound-for-pound comparison.

I don't think I'm asking for much in the way of resource outlay to bring the platform commensurate with the others. It could signal a return of some users on a daily basis, myself included.
    aximtreo and Guytronic like this.
    12-07-2017 06:29 PM
    We may as well discuss ways to save the Titanic. Both have already gone down. Both are way beyond “saving”.
    12-07-2017 07:50 PM
    I was one of the last people to admit that Windows Phone was truly dead. I defected to the Google Pixel back in November of 2016 due to lack of apps, not so great (but improving) battery on my Nokia Lumia Icon running W10M and lack of new phones on Verizon. I was also sick of Microsoft's failing to deliver on anything it promised to save Windows Phone. Aside from the battery life and lack of apps, I still say Windows 10 Mobile is the best operating system to ever exist for phone. If you knew how to use Windows 10, then this phone was easy to figure out. It was so seamless to move between the phone, tablet, laptop and desktop thanks to the unified interface and well connected environment. All the things that Apple users brag about, the Windows environment could do and do it better. Now I feel that my phone is cut off from my computers and I feel that I have to use the not so great Google environment to link everything together now. It is such a shame. Windows 10 Mobile had so much potential and it was killed before it could show it. If Microsoft made one last ditch effort to save Windows Phone right now and was looking for suggestions, here are mine:

1.) Modernise Windows 10 Mobile. Everything feature-wise that Android and Apple are doing, W10M needs to follow suite. The meat is there. They just need to advance it by the 2 years where they seemed to have left off in 2015. It needs to be smooth, intuitive and elegant. Cortana could also use a make over and some love as well.

2.) Release the Surface Phone. Microsoft underestimated the "shiny factor" of a standardised iconic phone. There was too much number soup going on with the Nokia phones and which mobile service carried what. People don't want plastic generic looking garbage with confusing model numbers like 820, 821, 925, 928 etc, they want names like Galaxy, Pixel and iPhone. The only number that should be in the name is the generation number. People want high quality and class from a phone wrapped in aluminium and glass. The Icon was kind of that phone, but the fall short nature of WP8 and lack of apps let it down. The iPhone and Galaxy are not just phones, they are also fashion statements and the Surface Phone needs to be fashionable as well. It also needs to be packed with enough features to make the the mobile techies drool. Things like a great high res screen, a great camera, SD card reader, fingerprint reader, great speakers, long battery life, water proofing, wireless charging/interface are just some of the things this phone needs to have.

3.) Drop the ARM on said Surface Phone. Take advantage of the x86 capabilities of W10M. I wish the Intel Atom x3 or something like it was still around. This would further unify the environment especially in Continuum. How cool would it be to be able to run a starter version of Windows 10 in Continuum that was capable of running any software that windows could run within reason of the phones hardware. This would also make the phone a must for the Enterprise environment as well.

4.) Unified App Store. Unified apps over the entire Windows 10 environment including XBox. Hardware horsepower and interface limitations should be the only factors if it is compatible or not. Since everything would be running on x86, app development would be easier for the entire Windows 10 environment.

5.) Make it easy to port apps from Android and iPhone to run on said Unified App Store while encouraging developers to develop apps. If the app development portion fails, the Surface Phone will fail. In fact, this should be started along with the Unified App Store before the phone is released. Dangle this godly Surface Phone over the peoples heads while getting them excited for it to hopefully create more incentive.

6.) Stop lying to people. Stop promising features and upgrades and getting everyone excited for them, then quietly sweeping them under the rug. If you promise it, then deliver it.

7.) Advertise Windows Phone as the "must-have" for anyone using Surface, XBox and Windows 10. Advertise how it seamlessly works in the environment and how Windows phone is no longer the generic app-less phone it once was.

8.) Get with the times. Phones have moved beyond just interfacing with its respective OS environment. Cars, devices and homes are getting smart and Microsoft is far behind in interfacing with them and needs to get caught up. If I can't do things like change the temperature of my Nest, cast Rick and Morty to my TV, or pull up Google maps on my car's navigation system, then there are going to be problems.

9.) Work with accessory manufacturers. Some people like to clad their phones with bling. Others, like me, protect their investments with Otterboxes. The Surface Phone will need to have these accessories at ready upon it's release.

Those are just a couple of my thoughts. It felt good to get them off my chest. But unfortunately, it will not change anything. Microsoft has declare defeat and there is nothing we can do. If Microsoft does reintroduce an epic phone under the Surface banner that has all the features and apps of my Pixel, I would definitely come back. The meat of Windows 10 Mobile is just that much better than Android.
    dgrn23 and aximtreo like this.
    12-07-2017 07:56 PM
    1. Build killer device, focused on organizing ones life....
    2. Gain support from core social media Apps for support
    3. Buy up all the spare virtual carrier network bandwidth
    4. Group sale of device, Mobile OS, with Project-Fi like service for half the price of Project Fi service.
    12-07-2017 08:02 PM
    Please save Windows mobile Phone.
    12-07-2017 10:40 PM
    Since this is pretty pie in the sky, I would go back to 2007 and appear to Balmer as the ghost of XMas future and show him what can be done with a $500 phone with no keyboard, no apps and one carrier. (Not faulting him on this. He wasn't alone in the assessment and hindsight is 20-20) I would prevent the biannual burn and rebuild concept of the mobile division. I would pay whoever did Apple's marketing twice what Apple was paying them, and I would put some actual commitment behind mobile. They treated it like a hobby, with great ideas, but no follow through. They did this to themselves.
    the_moesiah likes this.
    12-07-2017 10:50 PM
    Well first of all, I would probably go back in time. Back to when there was something left to salvage.

Then I would actively leverage all the cross platform strengths better. I would have people make casual games for the Xbox where there is actually a market for them, but make them available on windows phone too. They "tried" to do this - but people don't buy fruit ninja when it costs 10-20 bucks. They do when it's free, or costs 1-2.

And then of course fix those small things where apps came in other platforms first, or in more feature full versions..
    12-08-2017 12:17 AM
    What I will do is go back to those phones abandoned by nadella n upgrade them with wild specs. Eg,the 1020s n 1520s are such wild phones.
    Rupert Holmes likes this.
    12-08-2017 01:28 AM
    You need to focus on Corporate Business, you let slip when Blackberry exited. You have a great OS and with all the Continuum features you can offer a great experience all round. Market like Apple do, focus on getting the Corporates back even Giving away phones, For the Consumer Market you need to get a wider App range so partner with Google/Apple and make all their apps available on Windows, make a killer phone that has a cheaper price point then your competitors have but all the functionality and more. But if you commit .. STAY COMMITTED don't Give UP.
    12-08-2017 01:46 AM
    Windows 10 mobile was the best OS I've ever used ( lumia 950xl ).
    We use our smartphones mainly for the internet and only partly for telephony.
    There are only 5-6 apps we regularly use. Taking this into consideration,
    there is no reason to save windows 10 mobile. Microsoft should build a
    pocketable, telephony able PC, running full windows 10.
    12-08-2017 02:30 AM
    Everyone suggests a W10m phone running android, what about developing W10M as an android app which launches with all the Microsoft apps included?
    12-08-2017 07:42 AM
    Everyone suggests a W10m phone running android, what about developing W10M as an android app which launches with all the Microsoft apps included?
    I'm trying to think through the logistics of this. So every time I want to open OneNote, I also am launching Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Skype for Business, Microsoft Authenticator, Edge, Xbox, Office Lens, Cortana, Microsoft To-Do, Bing Search, Microsoft Translator, Teams, Groove, Skype, Intune... well, you get the idea.
    12-08-2017 08:02 AM
    I'll throw my hat in the ring thusly. I think we can all agree that the OS itself is light enough to be able to run on even low-spec'd devices so that being said, releasing hardware with killer battery life and excellent cameras would be a good start. But I feel there's something not being talked about and that is feature parity. What good is a fingerprint scanner that only unlocks the phone? Make it so it logs on to apps like the competition. What good is having NFC if there isn't widespread mobile payment support and even less NFC printing support? That's just hardware-related feature parity, let's delve into the world of apps where Microsoft has historically been lacking. It's irritating when a simple app like CamScanner on Windows can't export to Dropbox, Box or anything other than OneDrive. It's bad enough that there are few apps and some popular ones that left, it's made worse when they don't offer a pound-for-pound comparison.

I don't think I'm asking for much in the way of resource outlay to bring the platform commensurate with the others. It could signal a return of some users on a daily basis, myself included.

Interesting set of ideas. On the surface it would require minimal $ outlay and it would give a reasonably fast data set to see if going forward is worth the effort and investment. Got to start somewhere and this seems a good way to do it.

No one has mentioned building windows shell for iPhones and iPads. Not sure how possible it would be but being an iPhone user the thing I hate the most about the OS is the fixed Icons and dead looking the screens are.
    Guytronic and fatclue_98 like this.
    12-08-2017 08:05 AM
    At this point the only viable solution is with Windows on ARM. Give it an interface that is Windows Phone UI but have the Continuum mode with full desktop and real Win32 app support (not centennial, real outside the store Win32 apps).
    The foldable screen Microsoft submitted patents for would be the best approach.
    Hirox K likes this.
    12-08-2017 08:15 AM
    Did what I could. I voted my shares against him.
    12-08-2017 08:27 AM
124 12345