Save Windows (Phones)

Panagiotis Poulos

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
First of all, disclaimer: I recently bought an IDOL 4S with W10M just so I can keep using my favorite OS on a decent phone for as long as possible... so you might call me a die hard fan.

I'm also a full stack developer working exclusively on MS technologies. I think there's very little Google, Apple or Oracle can offer in terms of developer tools that bests the Visual Studio experience. The developement experience offered by MS is really the best there is. That's why C# and .NET is a thriving, growing community with tons of online resources and tons of exciting features coming out literally every couple of months.

MS is targeting the mobile dev world with Xamarin, a cross-platform development suite that lets people develop mobile native applications for Android, iOS and W10M in C# and .NET, sharing code and even UI designs across platforms. This allows software companies to use devs experienced in C# and .NET (there's tons of them and they're cheaper to hire than dedicated native app devs) and at the same time write/test software once, which is also cheaper.

So here's what I would do if I were MS:

a) Go big with my dev tools for mobile, really put their backs to it, and come up with amazing irresistible tools. They're already close and there's a huge community of devs ready to take up the offer and develop their Android and iOS apps on MS dev tools.
b) Don't outright kill W10M, I understand laying low from a marketing point of view, but no harm in spending a few resources keeping everything working for us die hard users, maybe pay one or two third party OEMs to release a couple of phones with W10M (like Alcatel did with Idol 4S).
c) Be patient, wait for the right moment. Once you have a big community of mobile devs working with MS tools like Xamarin the time has come to make your move. Release a new premium handset for business users who generally don't need many apps/games and announce the obvious to all devs: guys, all you need to do to get your apps to work on our new phone is compile your source code targeting W10M (or whatever you call it at the time) and you're good to go. No need to develop anything, no need to spend a dime.

There's no other path to saving Windows Phones. MS needs to get app developers to develop for their platform, and the only way to do that is to first control the tools they use to develop for other platforms. Who knows, maybe that's what they have in mind with Xamarin. And if they do, they're right not to go public with it - it's not the right time yet. So here's hoping!

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Make a phone that runs full Windows 10 and can be docked to a monitor to have a regular windows experience, but streamlined, touch-friendly UI for mobile use. Obviously it will run any windows app or application, but make it also run Android apps so people don't have to give something up to make the switch.

vrans99

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
To save not only the Windows Mobile but the Surface line as well and the future of Windows, I would let Android apps to run in any version of Windows.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Sorry WP is dead, regardless of who is in control, windows on small devices that can handle telephony is a different kettle of fish.

MS will have a much harder job of convincing people after the way they handled WP, but they can still do this.

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I love Windows Mobile/Phone/whatever we're calling it. I wouldn't trade my 950XL for anything (even if the front camera isn't working). I love the seamless connection to all of my devices, and I would take the plunge and use Continuum if I hadn't just been forced to get a new PC and got a more portable one.

That being said:

MS has already made the decision that WP/M is dead. Sooner or later, it will no longer be supported. Why? Because, as so many people have said, it's not part of the UWP, nor will it ever be. As robust as it is, it can't handle all of what MS wants in their product. It's great, and it could grow more, but (sadly) the market share doesn't justify it.

I see MS going in two directions (and of course, I'm a musican, so what do I know... :p ):
1) MS will continue to offer Mobile apps for Android and Apple, put focus on Android. With the ability to modify the phones, one can emulate a Windows Phone with an Android device. You would lose some of the latent connectivity moving from device to device, but this would be the way to satisfy those who want a smartphone but still have MS apps that they'll use from time to time. Productivity will be possible, but not the big draw as it is with a true Windows Phone.
2) Andromeda/Courier/Surface Mini/whatever. A full-fledged, Win10-running PC that is pocketable, with telephony. This will be different from a smartphone in that it won't have the limitations of a smartphone. I'm thinking 4-6 GB RAM, 64-128 GB SSD, ports to allow use of micro USB devices (including adapters for thumb drives), probably a foldable screen (or two screens) that can be interconnected (moving things from one to another), pen support, and one screen being able to double as a keyboard. This would be a gamechanger, and although it won't kill the smartphone, it'll either drive a stake into Apple and Android sales, or cause them to adapt. Samsung is working on a foldable smartphone, but if it's loaded with Android, it's just a smaller Chromebook or Galaxy Tab. it won't be robust enough to compete with a true ultraportable Windows device.

I'll hold out for #2 ...

My $0.02, YMMV...

benjamin Valle

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Just as Mr. Nadella implied on his Refresh book.

Opening the windows echo system to all so that it will be an inclusive perform for all the major players to come in

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
1) Turn Windows into an entirely cloud-based responsive OS that "runs" on any thin client device with instant installation of software modules and complete admin configuration for corporate networks, e.g. Extensible account management APIs.

2) Work with OEMs and network providers to develop ultra-portable devices that have amazing battery life (multi-day) and fast always on connectivity.

3) Incentivise developers to target the new platform.

4) Huge amounts of advertising and incentives to sell the devices with network providers.

5) Profit.

Ferkner

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I would build an Android skin that perfectly mimics Windows 10 Mobile, with the Live tiles and W10M icons and the whole nine yards. Otherwise there is no way to save it. Having it as a separate OS does not work and will not work. That's already been proven.

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Get app support and you might survive

your life depended on it before, you couldn't do it
your hardware was fine, your OS was ahead of its time
but you couldn't get apps

I believe this might be a bit unrealistic, and maybe a bit expensive for the company but oh well...

The first thing I would do is arrange a 'dream phone' competition and arrange it in schools/colleges (Kids are pretty creative). Taking those designs into account and checking them I'd see the best ones.

I would ask google to make their app suite (google maps/ youtube/ google chrome etc.) support windows phone, lets face it, we can't live without them. I'd also ask most social networks to at least port their ios apps to windows (Instagram). If they refuse, I'd ask Microsoft's own engineers to create those apps with their public APIs or at least web wrappers.

Then I would divide the phone's creation into teams: Experience, Design, Connectivity, Quality, Longevity and Performance. Experience would take care of making the device easy to use and focus mostly on usability. The Design team would make the device look elegant. Connectivity team would add support for every single device they can: smart lights, smart cars, smartwatches etc. and better wifi as compared to other phones. The quality team would make the device have a premium feel, from unboxing to holding the phone for the first time, longevity team would focus on making the device good enough to survive in an average person's use cases. The performance team would try to optimize the device to make the device fast and have a long battery life etc.

The phone would have an android and a windows option, just to stay safe.

Then comes marketing, I'd launch it under the well established Surface name - the Surface Phone. the device should have a short and awesome motto like "The Phone for Everyone" or "The Ultimate Phone". Now I'd launch an ad campaign and focus more on the phone's experience rather than specs (Most people don't care about that).The ads should feature the tagline, You've tried windows on your PC, time to use it on your phone, or something like that. Every single phone image should look professional and the phone should look cool.

Then i'd send those phones to most unboxing channels before launch, free advertisement right??? I'd send both android and windows versions.

The price doesn't matter much to most people apparantly (iPhone X and Note 8) but still to be safe I'd preferably keep it under $700, that's not necessary though.

the launch date would be in the start of summer vacations, that's when most people (teens) buy new phones.

remember that the feasibility of this project is indeed questionable and I'm welcome to suggestions :wink: .

tl;dr: Design an awesome windows phone, Ask Google and social networks for apps, market it right and launch it before summer vacations.

squeezy99

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I love my Lumia 950XL and my wife has the 650, they are great phones and so easy to use.
Get MS to have a new range built by Nokia as the name still holds good value.
Have a couple of very cheap models but with enough memory to run W10.
Then build a couple of top end models. Make great play (advertising) on the fact they integrate so easily with the every day W10 PC or portable. Make syncing easier and more obvious as there are still difficulties with Office to W10 mobile.

For me the windows phone completes the circle with a PC

kostantis76

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I would make a full windows 10 running smartphone with a lightweight android emulator built in able to run any app seamlessly along with a striking design like nokia used to do in the 2000's..that simple..everything else is cheap talk..

Shoba Annavarjula

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I would throw in 1TB storage for free, and allow it to be installed on devices made by several device manufacturers. For current O365 users (enterprise accounts), offer the continuum dock for free/discounted as well.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Using a 1520 and 950 XL as my daily driver. Ik like windows phone/windows 10 mobile.

I don't think there is an ideal solution, but if I was assigned as ceo of microsoft to save windows phone/10 mobile, I would consider this:

1. I would invest in xda developers to develop a system to be able to boot windows 10 mobile on any device on the market today. Naturally I want things to be as free as possible, but I can imagine, in the sense of business, perhaps it would be a fair compromise that users would have to sign up for at least a basic office 365 subscription. I think this would help open up a lot more markets to the windows platform. The experience may not be up to par with a great performance on every device, but it would at least open access to the ecosystem, community and store, and perhaps be inspired to invest further in the microsoft ecosystem. (Inspiration)
2. I would invest to fasttrack the development of microsoft products and services on android and iOS and streamline the experience with products and services on windows 10. This is already happening today, but I'm guestimating a lot still needs to happen. Specifically office products, OneDrive, OneNote, Cortana and Microsoft Launcher for mainstream users get expanded in functionality, performance, stability and security. Next I would also develop a second launcher for fans and powerusers that encompass as much of the cshell experience for mobile as possible so that the windows phone experience, as a launcher shell is as much famiiliar as on curent windows phone devices, with many familiar UI elements and live tiles. I would try to expand the live tile functionality as well as an enticing wow factor, but still promise the access to the play store for apps. I haven't thought too much about a return of investment, but hoping that at least more users will adopt the launchers and productivity apps. Perhaps some necessity to have a office 365 subscription would help start that return. Buying into the subcription would also mean improved ease of synchronization with your business or pc. For devices supporting dex or continuum type functionality, The launcher will seemlessly show a familiar windows 10 shell, similar to continuum. Nothing can truly be 100% free in this world. Fair is fair. (motivation)
Lastly, I would invest a third billion in streamlining Xamarin as a main and comprehenisble development dashboard and platform for developers. The idea would be to further make the platform more easy and effortles to code and develop an app once for all platforms at competitive plans for developers.
4. invest in better marketing to promote windows mobility on android and iOS. Come with interesting business models for business to code for three platforms for the price of one.
Return of investment will be more marketshare and potentially more users with an office 365 and cloud subscription. For larger businesses adoption of windows cloud and azure use could be more attractive to invest in as the windows platform is more easily accessible across devices and is platform agnostic. (adoption)

Dupree dr

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I believe this might be a bit unrealistic, and maybe a bit expensive for the company but oh well...

The first thing I would do is arrange a 'dream phone' competition and arrange it in schools/colleges (Kids are pretty creative). Taking those designs into account and checking them I'd see the best ones.

I would ask google to make their app suite (google maps/ youtube/ google chrome etc.) support windows phone, lets face it, we can't live without them. I'd also ask most social networks to at least port their ios apps to windows (Instagram). If they refuse, I'd ask Microsoft's own engineers to create those apps with their public APIs or at least web wrappers.

Then I would divide the phone's creation into teams: Experience, Design, Connectivity, Quality, Longevity and Performance. Experience would take care of making the device easy to use and focus mostly on usability. The Design team would make the device look elegant. Connectivity team would add support for every single device they can: smart lights, smart cars, smartwatches etc. and better wifi as compared to other phones. The quality team would make the device have a premium feel, from unboxing to holding the phone for the first time, longevity team would focus on making the device good enough to survive in an average person's use cases. The performance team would try to optimize the device to make the device fast and have a long battery life etc.

Then comes marketing, I'd launch it under the well established Surface name - the Surface Phone. the device should have a short and awesome motto like "The Phone for Everyone" or "The Ultimate Phone". Now I'd launch an ad campaign and focus more on the phone's experience rather than specs (Most people don't care about that).The ads should feature the tagline, You've tried windows on your PC, time to use it on your phone, or something like that. Every single phone image should look professional and the phone should look cool.

Then i'd send those phones to most unboxing channels before launch, free advertisement right??? I'd send both android and windows versions.

The price doesn't matter much to most people apparantly (iPhone X and Note 8) but still to be safe I'd preferably keep it under $700, that's not necessary though.

the launch date would be in the start of summer vacations, that's when most people (teens) buy new phones.

remember that the feasibility of this project is indeed questionable and I'm welcome to suggestions :wink: .

tl;dr: Design an awesome windows phone, Ask Google and social networks for apps, market it right and launch it before summer vacations.

Microsoft has to re-design the OS for windows phone...
And I have a good looking design for the phone.

Jag s

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site

Agree with all you suggestion, I would target the Corporate Business and sell them the Continuum model, you already have a strong foothold in Business that is where you messed up in the first place, you should have had the foresight to have replaced Blackberry - Your Phones need to be priced correctly "even Free" with a copy of Win10 (dare I say it) get converting Android Apps to Windows 10 I'm sure we have the technology to do that now

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Saving Windows mobiles by cool8man:

1. Acquire successful big name mobile companies: Spotify, Fitbit, Garmin like they did with Skype, LinkedIn and Minecraft.

2. Improve the Windows 10 UI and Edge with a focus on loading speed. Add Fluent design/Aero transparencies for everything including live tiles. Add the option to put Windows Gadgets on the Start Screen or Action Center. Round and smooth out the edges on tiles, apps, and displays to make them softer and more user friendly.

3. Move Edge development towards Progressive Web Apps which don't require app store installations. Establish a web standard so that all web browsers and operating systems run the same exact Progressive Web Apps just by anyone visiting the website once.

4. Finish development of Cshell and the 100% unification of Windows 10/MS Store across ARM, x86, x64.

5. Release revolutionary hardware products that blend product categories: the tablet that can replace your phone, the Fitbit smartwatch that can replace your phone, & a sleeker HoloLens built on ARM.

6. Open the HoloLens spec to Mixed Reality OEMs. Let them build Windows wearables with Microsoft's Cortana, Skype, Spotify, Garmin, Fitbit, Minecraft, Office preloaded. ARM devices could focus on mobility while Intel devices could focus on power (include belt plug-in for additional battery power). Develop discrete pointer/gesture recognition controller for HoloLens (the "mouse" needs to be invented.) Support smartphone or smartwatches for scrolling/text entry on HoloLens.

7. Sign deal with Amazon to make Kindle and Amazon Video the official content providers in MS Store, Xbox and Edge browser for books, movies and tv. In exchange Amazon will heavily promote Windows devices on their website and build Windows devices including Hololens-headsets with Alexa as the default AI instead of Cortana. Take advantage of the Google Amazon fight that is happening right now!

8. Sign a marketing deal to get HoloLens devices used by the NFL during broadcasts.

9. Allow the option to install Android app stores including Amazon's, but require high end hardware and do not advertise the feature heavily (see SteamVR support for Windows MR).

10. Sign deal with Roku, Sonos, Logitech and Tesla to make Cortana the default AI on their products.

Last edited:

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd get Windows phone. is dead and it's not coming back. Even if it were, developers just won't support it, so it's a moot point.

But here's what I WOULD do.

1. Build it Microsoft Launcher on Android to support live tiles, pivot and all the great design elements that differentiated Windows phone 7x and 8x. make it fast and lean.

2. Build in support for live tiles, deep linking and function pinning into every Microsoft first party app. It doesn't matter if third party apps support the launcher as long as MS's do.

3. Port the UWP framework and store to Android. Allow people to install and run the apps they own.

This would please a lot of wp fans, deliver a better experience to Android, and solve the app gap in one fell swoop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon