Shouldn't Microsoft unleash the secret weapons?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Didn't Microsoft buy up all the Lumia Firmware and innovation when they purchased Lumia from Nokia?

Should they not attract and reward 3rd party OEMs by giving them a free license to things like Glance, DTtW, Lumia Motion and Sensor Core APIs among other differentiators that Lumia was hording?

To date, the only ones I've seen other OEMs use is ClearBlack (Coship) and DTtW (Alcatel).

Why not just fold the whole "value added" package that Nokia/Lumia built up into the OS, much as Microsoft has already done with the W10M camera App?

Why are they sitting on it? What are they saving it for?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Didn't Microsoft buy up all the Lumia Firmware and innovation when they purchased Lumia from Nokia?

Should they not attract and reward 3rd party OEMs by giving them a free license to things like Glance, DTtW, Lumia Motion and Sensor Core APIs among other differentiators that Lumia was hording?

To date, the only ones I've seen other OEMs use is ClearBlack (Coship) and DTtW (Alcatel).

Why not just fold the whole "value added" package that Nokia/Lumia built up into the OS, much as Microsoft has already done with the W10M camera App?

It's a good question and so far the only understanding I have is that (1) they want to save it for their own flagship product (2) If it's IP and you give it away that can cause legal issues for patents.

I don't disagree though. It works in the other direction too where a company like HP wants to do more but Microsoft does not want OEMs to modify the OS too much either and veer from their "same experience" message.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This is very interesting.
I know these features are very important to a lot of people in addition to the app situation for Windows.

Looks like Microsoft is hanging on for something whatever it might be.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Could be I'm overlooking something, but as I remember it MS did NOT obtain Nokia's patents. MS simply licensed them, which would mean MS is not in a position to just hand out patent licenses at no cost to other OEMs. Those patents still belong to Nokia.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9820ZZ20130903

That marketing terms like ClearBlack and the technologies behind them now belong to MS would be news to me. Did I miss something or am I remembering incorrectly?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Could be I'm overlooking something, but as I remember it MS did NOT obtain Nokia's patents. MS simply licensed them, which would mean MS is not in a position to just hand out patent licenses at no cost to other OEMs. Those patents still belong to Nokia.

Why Nokia didn't sell its patents to Microsoft | Reuters

That marketing terms like ClearBlack and the technologies behind them now belong to MS would be news to me. Did I miss something or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yeah, that's where it all gets murky and I'm not sure what they can/can't do.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
maybe OEMs don't actually want to use other's tech and prefer to make their own & believe theirs is always better? unless microsoft made it officially part of w10m and the hardware for glance was a standard thing for example, I don't have big hopes for glance on other phones

see HP, apparently they decided to make their own DTTW method, and some form of docked-only glance, and they refuse to use the original nokia things like that and equalizer etc, according to some answers they gave to steve at AAWP

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Also, skip charging anything from apps sold at the store.
The amount is very low, anyways (even at iOS's AppStore, which sells the majority of apps for mobile), and that could attract more developers.

Sent from mTalk

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
While we are on the matter...

Samsung will release the S8, and it will work "continuum like", connecting to another screen and acting like a PC. Will it work as good as MS's? Well, will it matter?
Apple is surely working hard with augmented reality, so how long until it surpasses MS's efforts?

I really think folks at MS and share holders are missing the point of mobile's importance. Badly.

Sent from mTalk

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

I think most of the features that were once exclusive to Lumia smartphones have already been copied by other OEMs. I am talking about features like glance screen, supersensitive touch, OIS, double tap to wake and living images.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yea, this is what is hard from our perspective, we don't have their agreement and the inside scoop to all that their business deal encompasses. I do know that in big business there are deals that get brokered to simply allow one company to keep getting some kind of revenue from their designs and name whilst the new lease holder further develops what they started, while in other situations a company buys into another as a sorta non-compete agreement, just as 2 examples, but to know what is actually covered we would need to know what is really in that deal and we may never know what's really going on with that.

But I would like to see some of these secret weapons come out this year, I would like to see them pull out the stops and do what we all know they are capable of, it feels like it is time. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon