Can Windows 10 ARM based devices make phone calls & text messages just as Windows phone ?

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I do know. If I look through my desktop computer platform, I find both the "Phone" and the "Message" apps. They just dont seem to be hooked up to hardware. Except I can send texts in a limited fashion from my desktop, with a limited popup window. So since my Desktop Windows 10 Pro has the frame work built into it, it seems likely that if they wanted it to happen, it is relatively easy for them to make it reality. It's really not that hard for them.

Oh yea and before I lost my massively fast broadband connection, I was actually able to have a texting windows with all my contact and text history available, not sure if that was just a part of the insiders program or not. So, yea its very likely.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
With a SIM and/or eSIM in one the W10 ARM devices, then tied to a mobile/wireless number it should be possible. So to the notion as like said above it is up to Microsoft to build in the support for that though.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has the framework built into the OS as the "Phone" app on my Intel Tablet took an update last week. So the ability will be there, but it will not be Microsoft's call in the end. AT&T/Ver/Sprint and who ever will call that shot, as each Network has to get their claws in and extract some money.

Now you may get Lucky and a Windows on Arm device may be treated like an Unlocked Phone so it will just be the question of Plan and Sim, However Verizon must approve any device that joins it's network.

The_GTA

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
You may have heard about Windows 10 ARM64 on Lumia 950/XL. Turns out cellular data connections are possible even on build 19008.1! Supposedly Microsoft did remove legacy WWAN API in build 18912 but the french hacker gus33000 made it possible by investigating the WMRil API calls and (maybe) writing a compatibility layer. So yes, you can make phone calls and text messages on Windows 10 ARM (WoA) devices.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Someone told me than WIN 10 on Lumias works really bad, is that true ?
, which Lumia? I take it you mean the Lumia 950 (XL). There videos about it on Youtube. It seems to work but of course is slightly slow especially on the non-XL version (the XL is probably similar in usage as those last atoms; usable but not smooth by any means).

I am thinking about trying it if maybe whatsapp decides to completely remove their app at the end of the year :)cry:) and if telegram is not working out. Probably trying to delay it as long as possible lol.
Pros would be getting mainly a better browser and Signal along side of Telegram as well as updates.
Cons would be (possibly) lose some camera features, performance and calls/sms/data (I guess).

edit: I just read that you can dual boot (so you can have it installed it next to WP10). That could make this a lot more viable. :excited: . It is also mentions that texting and calling work (the latter with some issues). (see the comments here -> 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMgACPk0Gs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMgACPk0Gs' without the single quotes ).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes