Live Tiles in Andromeda

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
#AskDan

Will the upcoming Andromeda foldable phablet use the now seven-years-old live tiles interface or will Microsoft opt for a different UI?

Cheers

Last edited:

asoyemi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
AdamInTx

Yes and No. I absolutely think they should be an option but I also think they should allow them to be turned off for users who don't like them. Personally I don't like them at all and on both my old Windows Phones and on my desktops I would have to always make my tiles the smallest setting since that was the only way to turn off the "live" part of it most of the time.

I simplified your comment for my kid that all that meant "Stay Android"

13paul13

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Yes, with the option to turn live tiles off for each app individually. When I had my Lumia 950, the only live tiles I really used - and therefore wanted - were Outlook Calendar, Outlook Mail and Weather. The others I'd have preferred the option to turn off, instead I made them the smallest tile size. As Windows 10 Pro has that option, I would presume it would be an option on Andromeda too.

As well as that, I would like to put out there that all tiles should have the option to be transparent. Nothing worse than having a number of transparent tiles and then one or two non-transparent ruining the look of the home/start screen!

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think andromeda should have live tiles. Dor its purpose I would even suggest phasing out both the start menu and desktop environment. Replace this with a single expandable desktop, that has startmenu and lives tiles functionality and can be exoanded both horizontally or vertically for both scroll directions. I think the live tiles could even use an upgrade in personlization, expand the choice of live tile sizes and expand their functionality with interactive live tiles. Windows 10 supports 4 sizes 1x1, 2x2, 2x4 and 4x4. The size choice should have 4x2, 4x8, and 8x8, 1x2, and 2x1, 1x4, and 4x1.
Reasons:
I think andromeda will matter most in obility and cloud by having the data you need directly on hand at your finget tips. No more endless app switching and searching through endless files not remembering the file name. See the new desktop canvas as one big cork board to pin your favorite app links, tile info or recent files in a list at a glance on your screen. And be able to interact with them. Start an instant timer from the tile by pressing a button on a tile. Pauze/play/skip a track with a button on the player tile, find instant weather data from another city simply by swiping your favorite places from the tilr. Instant message with a contact or group simply from the tile, any easily switch between conversations simply by having conversation tiles side by side. No more back and forth switching between threads. Just skip over from tile to tile at a glance. See images better with tile slideshows in a larger tile format, and scroll images directly from the tile. Start your day with a to do or reminders stickynote tile you typed or handwrote directly on the live tile. Or see live dynamic data on the live tile such as Wi-Fi connection strength, temperature changes of your pc or iot device etc. All info at a glance with live tiles. Get in get out done. I can see the functionality help support and expand productivity better by viewing more relevant information at a glance from a single dashboard. Micromanaging the information you really need. All greater productivity can be done in a focussed manner within the app itself.
Mobility means more effectively and efficiently managing a lot of information coming your way. We are already bombarded with a lot of information and data on a daily basis. I see project andromeda aid in that as a valuable asset to develop for. I think live tiles are part of that story. If not, its just another windows device.

axone ten

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
I don't understand how can people like this single coloured ugly square box UI
Screenshot (21).png

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but then I really wanted a Surface phone :) which this will not be. I'm thinking it may well occupy the space of a far more pocketable device along the lines of the iPad Mini/pocket notepad. So yes if I can use it as a tablet/phone hybrid then yes the tiles will serve me very well. If not and it is purely a tablet that is foldable I can "manage" with notifications and the start menu.
Remember folks, that if this device strays too far out of the norm you have more "special" about it that requires support (meaning special windows adaptations) that puts it further out in the ecosystem. That is ok for some things - so it's not something to avoid, just be thoughtful about what we wish for.
I do think this question is tough to answer because we don't (or at least I don't) know the full nature of the device and thus what uses it serves. Tiles are handy for glancing, which is something you mostly do with a phone and sometimes do with a small tablet. If it is more of a tablet/small computer device then I don't think on something akin to a surface pro that I look at tiles at all.
So yes, but it may depend on things we don't fully know yet. And of course I can't wait to see the thing while still trying to be patient while they "get it fully baked".

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Who knows!

Tiles are still central to Windows 10 so it would be odd to totally change the experience, especially if it supports any Continuum mode.

My guess is it will be similar to the mobile menu or desktop tablet mode menu.

edit: I see this is in Ask Dan!! My answer remains but perhaps he'll let you know his thoughts too!

Why the heck wouldn't it have live tiles if it's still a part of Windows 10?????

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Looking at sales, they definitely shouldn't have Live Tiles in future products. Sales of products that have Live Tiles front and center have always been terrible.

This is a fallacy, you're interpreting what is a coincidence between products that had Live Tiles and products that failed as that being the reason. There might be several explanations for the low sales, a lot of which are not even related to the quality of W10M or Windows Phone. But definitely Live Tiles wasn't one of them.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If they're not going to update them in any meaningful way best to leave them out and have the start menu be the core interface. Pointless having times if they show out of date information.

Sent from mTalk

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
#AskDan

Will the upcoming Andromeda foldable phablet use the now seven-years-old live tiles interface or will Microsoft opt for a different UI?

Cheers
Totally and absolutely YES. Microsoft, I hope you guys are reading this thread. Live tiles is one of the few things that differentiate from a boring start screen. The fact you can move them around, resize them and, more importantly, provide at a glace updated app info is something special. When I first open my phone or surface pro the first thing I do is to harvest the latest info from my apps and then opening the first where I want further info. I don't see anyone doing that with ios or droid. And ,yes, I am still using and loving my Lumia 950.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes