Can anyone help me with a few questions about Windows Phones?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

3 questions that I have about Windows Phone.

Hello everyone.

I have three questions about Windows phone that I wish you can help me with:

1- Now that Microsoft owns Nokia, and that they are going to replace the

Nokia branding with the Microsoft branding, will Microsoft still update the Nokia

Lumia devices ?

2- Do other manufactures ,or OEMs, do update on thier devices on time ?

3- Does Windows Phone have different UIs ?

Like how samsung has Touchwiz and HTC has sense, which are different version of

Android, a non stock version of Android.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Like how Google update their Nexus devices.

and will they fix a Noka Lumia smartphone if you take to them ?

Captainbluebanana

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: 3 questions that I have about Windows Phone.

Yes they will still update the Nokia Lumias. I dont know what you mean about different UI's so im gona say no 😄 and other manufacturers update their phones also if that was your question 😊 hope I helped.

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm sure Microsoft will update them, but always the latest hardware releases comes first and get most of the new features because of better/current hardware.

Other OEMs have taken longer, but have updated their phones in the end.

No, all Windows phones (htc, nokia, samsung, ect) have the same UI, however each manufacturer have a share of exclusive apps, Some apps depend on specific hardware (pureview camera or htc camera, etc.) and others are just 'ecosystem'.

They should fix lumias, they are their responsibility now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

1. They are updating Lumia devices right now. Lumia gets special firmware that goes by a color code. Since the buyout, Microsoft has rolled out Cyan and is in the process of getting to a rollout for Denim. Virtually all Windows Phone 8.0 Lumia devices are announced to get Denim excepting a couple rare models dropped by the carriers that were exclusive to them. Lumia Denim was initiated entirely after the buyout and is meant for all legacy Nokia handsets that run WP 8.0 and higher.
  2. Just like in the Android realm, the OS maker pushes the updates to OEMs and it is up to them to use it. After that, the carriers have to test before the final OTA can be scheduled. Most Windows Phone devices by sales volume are Lumia phones; also Samsung and HTC have been in the mix as major players... New entries are coming into the OS like Blu and Yazz, plus others who "keep a hand in" with a current model or two like Micromax and Huawei. You should probably check the phone forums for those models if interested to see what actual users think of the update scheduling.
  3. The difference between Lumia and other WP handsets would be features. Nokia partnered very closely with Microsoft for Windows Phones and Nokia spent a lot of resources differentiating their WP offerings by developing features that were/are exclusive to the Lumia brand. Microsoft bought up those resources and seeks to continue providing the top tier Windows Phone experience. The difference is NOT UI. The non-Lumia devices are not skinned differently as seen under Android. If you used a Lumia on 8.1 for six months and switched to an HTC One (M8) for Windows you would not face a learning curve on UI. Some features would differ, but menus, interactions and methods of customizing interface would be the same.
  4. Seems there was actually a 4th question in there about repair. Nokia Care Center continues to provide warranty repair on legacy and new Lumia products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon