What is the difference between 'Pro' and 'Highres'?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

confusions about 'Pro' and 'Highres'

I was manually backing up my photos onto an external HDD each photo on my phone copied into two photos on my HDD with th suffix 'Pro' and 'Highres' can someone explain to me about this?

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: confusions about 'Pro' and 'Highres'

Pro is the oversampled version of the image. If You have a Lumia 930/1520/1020 and your camera is either 20mp or 41 mp, Your phone automatically saves 2 pictures. One in full resolution and one is oversampled (fitting it into 5mp resolution with special algorithms, so the picture is weights less but it does not lose quality).
So in short:
Pro = oversampled 5mp (not full resolution picture)
highres = full resolution picture.

You can disable saving highres photos in settings of Lumia Camera app so it will only save 5mp version of the image.

pratyk95

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

ok i had the same question so i keep the 'highres' only if have some editing work to do on the image otherwise i'm better off just deleting it??

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

ok i had the same question so i keep the 'highres' only if have some editing work to do on the image otherwise i'm better off just deleting it??

Yes. I recommend the following though:
I regularly copy all my photos over to my Surface Pro/computer, including the high resolution ones. I then remove the highres images from my phone and keep the oversampled ones to save storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo