Is this the end of Windows phones?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

my banks are dropping windows platforms soon.

I have chase and bank of america and both notified they will no longer offer windows phone apps. Is this the end of windows phones?

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: my banks are dropping windows platforms soon.

No!!!!!! its the end of the world!!!!!Run for your lives!!!!!

Just two American banks leave wp (sorry for guys that need these apps), but this doesn't affect the market share of the rest non American world

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Yes. This is the end of Windows Phone. Those banking apps were the only thing keeping the platform alive and now that they are pulling out, all we have is twitter and flappy bird. /end sarcasm.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

I have chase and bank of america and both notified they will no longer offer windows phone apps. Is this the end of windows phones?

Don't worry...Windows10 for phones is bringing universal apps and therefore developers developing the apps for other platform won't hesitate to develop for win 10 as it will be quite easy to port apps from other platforms. Windows 10 will be a massive hit, and is definitely the start of a new Windows experience... So I suggest you to stick to the platform, your patience will be rewarded..😉

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Don't worry...Windows10 for phones is bringing universal apps and therefore developers developing the apps for other platform won't hesitate to develop for win 10 as it will be quite easy to port apps from other platforms. Windows 10 will be a massive hit, and is definitely the start of a new Windows experience... So I suggest you to stick to the platform, your patience will be rewarded..��

While I generally agree with the second part of your comment, I wouldn't be sure to assume that Windows 10 will somehow open the floodgates for universal apps on the phone OS variant. Firstly, if BoA really wants to, it can already create a universal banking app for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. But the fact that they are also withdrawing their Windows 8.1 support which arguably has the biggest reach of their entire customer base suggests something else is at play here.

I suspect that most people on Windows (desktop or tablet) use BoA through their website and that gives them everything. There's no need for a specialized 'metro' banking app when IE will do. The clamour for apps everywhere, started by Apple and echoed by Google, just doesn't carry as well on Windows and actually, I'm starting to agree. Why do I need a metro Facebook app on Windows? I never use it over the website which is fully featured and just works. Equally odd are apps that have come from traditional X86 roots like Adobe Reader, WinZip - do we really need an additional metro app for these? Apart from the confusion of what to use when, the development costs start to become unjustifiable, no matter how big a company you are.

Now I fully accept that on phone, a native app is essential, given its relative screen size/orientation and primary touch input mechanism, I get it. But there is also a growing trend that smartphones are getting bigger, browsers are getting faster and more standards compliant. Suddenly, navigating your banking website on say a Lumia 1520 doesn't feel like a bad proposition, who needs an app to feel special? It's not much comfort for those with smaller devices right now but the trend is heading that way.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I suspect that most people on Windows (desktop or tablet) use BoA through their website and that gives them everything. There's no need for a specialized 'metro' banking app when IE will do. The clamour for apps everywhere, started by Apple and echoed by Google, just doesn't carry as well on Windows and actually, I'm starting to agree. Why do I need a metro Facebook app on Windows? I never use it over the website which is fully featured and just works. Equally odd are apps that have come from traditional X86 roots like Adobe Reader, WinZip - do we really need an additional metro app for these? Apart from the confusion of what to use when, the development costs start to become unjustifiable, no matter how big a company you are.

This is my thinking. I have yet to find a Metro app that I use that is better than using the browser. I'm not saying there aren't any, but I'm going by what I personally use. I have found 0 reasons to use apps on the desktop so far.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if that changes some day, but I don't see the change being imminent. Why install a bunch of apps and sacrifice storage space and performance when the browser is equally as good? So far, apps on the desktop don't make sense.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ally bank is online only... They support Windows Phone and if you can scan images on your computer you can deposit checks through their PC Browser site.

I just set up an Ally account and am moving all my BoA money there. BoA set me up to have free checking IF I never went in and used a teller. They are trying to force me into giving them teller fees. Not gonna happen.

The less I have to visit a bank or ATM, the happier I am.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Another of these oh no the sky is falling threads. Now that's something I wish we would see the end of.

There's no company or organization who can influence my choice of smartphone by withdrawing their support, with the possible exception of Microsoft.

If my bank doesn't support Windows and I need an app to use it because their website is also broken, it's time to find a different bank. Same goes for coffee shop, drugstore, social network, whatever.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...If my bank doesn't support Windows and I need an app to use it because their website is also broken, it's time to find a different bank. Same goes for coffee shop, drugstore, social network, whatever.

Yep... Just came back from BoA. I had electronically transferred all my money out of my BoA accounts earlier today via their App which will soon be useless. I know there is nothing waiting to come in or go out. Took me a couple of weeks to get it all done and organized. I let them know at the branch that I was leaving because their bank pulled my support for being online only with them.

The rep was stunned, she had no clue that BoA was doing what they did. I made sure she noted withdrawal of support for Windows Phone as the reason I was leaving. We also discussed how I am unable to deposit checks via browser on their website so I lost out on that and Ally lets me do this via scanned documents and web site log in. The rep admitted that their business customers have this option but private banking customers do not. We also talked about the timing with Chase then BoA pulling Windows Phone support and Wells Fargo telling those customers to jump ship and join Wells Fargo. I advised her I want cloud banking and never want to set foot in a branch if it can be helped and that is why Ally is now my bank. I showed her the Ally App on my start screen and advised that it used to be BoA before they decided not to support my OS of choice.

I also advised I am a very active member of the world's largest Windows Phone online community and the bad feelings about the BoA and Chase withdrawal of support it as huge topic.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This forum section wasn't really meant for the politics of business or conjecture.

I would like to invite the anonymous OP to join and create a thread in the proper forum.
Thank you all for your thoughts.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon